< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Another newb reloader  (Read 2464 times)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Another newb reloader
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
I took the reloading class offered in January by legendary forum members SemperFiGuy and Unfy.  Well worth it.
I decided to start with a Lee turret press.  I figured I could use it as a single stage until I got more comfortable with the process.
I've loaded around 1000 rounds now.  I've fired them from 2 different 9mm pistols with no ill effect.  In shooting matches at ENGC no problems.
I have developed my own routine.  I use a universal die to deprime all cases before cleaning.  Still toying with different cleaning methods.
I resize and prime in one pull of the lever.  I charge, seat bullet and crimp no more than 100 at a time for now.  My recipe would overflow powder if double-charged. 
I use Lee safety prime with the lever prime.  Basically, I like it, it seats primer good and consistent.  Not perfect but definitely workable.  Lee auto disk powder measure is wonderfully consistent and almost foolproof :laugh:
My reloading setup is in the basement and I have no TV, radio or other distractions.

The worst thing so far is one batch I was charging and seating when I did a reading on the calipers and realized,  re checking the manual again, that every cartridge was too short (1.069 instead of 1.169).  So I began adventures in bullet pulling, but I learned something. 
I enjoy the process and like not having to haunt stores scrounging for 9mm ammo.  (Just components :laugh:)
SemperFiGuy and Unfy have most helpful with questions since the class, for this I want to thank them publicly.  I recommend taking a reloading class from them if possible, well worth the time.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Another newb reloader
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »
This kind of feedback from the course makes the Whole Reloading Clinic Venture fully worth the while.

Presto!  Change-o!!  Voila!!   With his willing cooperation, we've created a brannew, conscientious, careful, safe reloader.

Which is what we set out to do in the first place.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:04:49 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »
Clark, that was one of the things I had heard timae and time again, was that getting started was cost-prohibitive. I went the RCBS route, and was surprised to be able to start loading rifle rounds for less than $200 total.I think my initial setup ran about $175, sans components, which was another $80 (primer/powder/bullets).

Now my CPR on my Mauser is 0.55 instead of 0.90 for production ammo. And accuracy is improving, mainly that suffered due to the nut behind the butt. :D
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
When is the next clinic

unfy and I are trying to figger that one out.   [We also have a volunteer newbie instructor who wants to help.]

We offered a handgun [9mm/.40S&W] clinic here on the Forum about a month or so ago.   Got no response, which we thought was probably due to (a) completing the current backlog of potential reloaders and (b) the onset of summer.

So we decided to hold off for a while until some interest in another reloading clinic starts to bubble up here on the Forum.

Maybe that's what's happening now.

That's the story and I'm sticking to it.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
unfy and I are trying to figger that one out.   [We also have a volunteer newbie instructor who wants to help.]

We offered a handgun [9mm/.40S&W] clinic here on the Forum about a month or so ago.   Got no response, which we thought was probably due to (a) completing the current backlog of potential reloaders and (b) the onset of summer.

So we decided to hold off for a while until some interest in another reloading clinic starts to bubble up here on the Forum.

Maybe that's what's happening now.

That's the story and I'm sticking to it.

sfg

Ahh, I must have missed that announcement. A month ago I was hip-deep in work because of where we were in the state legislative session. I'll keep an eye out for the next clinic announcement. Keep up the good work!

In the meantime, one of our forum compadres has offered to answer my novice-level questions as I get started.

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:16:38 PM »
Shooting has become an efficient method of emptying cases so I can reload! ;D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »
Shooting has become an efficient method of emptying cases so I can reload! ;D

One of us...

One of us...

One of us...

One of us...

One of us...

One of us...

ROFL
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
This kind of feedback from the course makes the Whole Reloading Clinic Venture fully worth the while.

Presto!  Change-o!!  Voila!!   With his willing cooperation, we've created a brannew, conscientious, careful, safe reloader.

Which is what we set out to do in the first place.

I whole heartedly agree.

And the kudos is very appreciated, warms the cold cinder of a heart :)

Although my schedule has been weird for the last week or two, I'm game for another clinic.  And interested to meet the new help whomever they may be heh.

While looking for an 'arms up in the air' victory pic to celebrate more reloading and the kudos, ran across this... which... could almost be me heh:

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
OK!
Where?
When?
How much?