< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 5 shootings in less than an hour... Omaha  (Read 1697 times)

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
5 shootings in less than an hour... Omaha
« on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:16 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/15/us/nebraska-violence/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Thank goodness for all those restrictive firearms laws or it could have been worse  ::)
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: 5 shootings in less than an hour... Omaha
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »
Here in Omaha our Operative Metro Model with respect to all things firearms-related is the
Great Midwestern City of.......

Chicago!

We can clearly see that it's Working!

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
I often call Omaha, "The Chicago of Nebraska"

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
I created a post here recently where 29 rounds were fired in my front yard. My neighborhood of 12 years was always quiet until lately.

Right now, I am sitting in my new house here in Elkhorn with the front door wide open. My daughter and her two friends are out walking the dogs. I sure don't miss the old neighborhood!  ;D

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
I often call Omaha, "The Chicago of Nebraska"

Come on now as much as LPD loves to harass people for all sorts of things Lincoln is any different?   :laugh:

Offline SunsetSig

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »
A friend of mine in Lincoln says Omaha is the "Murder Capital of Nebraska".  Hard to argue with him.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:18 AM »
Joking aside, Omaha is a good example of the bigger issue with violence.  Most of the problems are caused by a few small groups, but the political body has, historically, tried to deal with the issue by being unfriendly to a device rather than the people involved.

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »
According to Juan Williams on Fox, the violence is a Black problem and not a gun problem, but the Progressives are not willing to admit it.  IIRC, over 85% of violent gun crimes are commited by young black males, but to say it gets you branded as a racist. Fine, call me names, I have been called worse, so it doesn't bother me a bit.

Offline DangerousDrummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »
I created a post here recently where 29 rounds were fired in my front yard. My neighborhood of 12 years was always quiet until lately.

Right now, I am sitting in my new house here in Elkhorn with the front door wide open. My daughter and her two friends are out walking the dogs. I sure don't miss the old neighborhood!  ;D

I once moved an old piano in front of the picture window in hopes the cast steel would stop a bullet. My 5 year old son would crawl by the front of the piano. The police in that precint told me it was time to move because they could not respond to calls until they had three cars available.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »
According to Juan Williams on Fox, the violence is a Black problem and not a gun problem, but the Progressives are not willing to admit it.  IIRC, over 85% of violent gun crimes are commited by young black males, but to say it gets you branded as a racist. Fine, call me names, I have been called worse, so it doesn't bother me a bit.
I would go so far as to say the problem is social vs racial.  The color of the skin of those involved is incidental to the other factors that create a culture of violence among  young black men.  Omaha's restrictions are the same in North Omaha as they are in Millard and Elkhorn, but there are obviously differences.  Can anyone legitimately claim it's the gun restrictions that make the difference in those areas, but not North O?  Clearly the problem isn't the guns.  The gun violence is a symptom of something else -- bad government policy, crappy schools, breakdown in families.  We can all see it, but it seems there are too many political reputations at stake to call it like it is.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
too many political reputations at stake to call it like it is.

Reputations ... or ideologies.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »
I am waiting to see what Mayor Stothert's response to this all will be.  It is early in her Mayorship, and her reactions to this violence should be telling of the direction her term will be.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 04:42:13 PM »
I am waiting to see what Mayor Stothert's response to this all will be.  It is early in her Mayorship, and her reactions to this violence should be telling of the direction her term will be.

There was a paragraph from her read on the KETV news Saturday IIRC night about it.  Nothing really but condolences for those involved. 

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 07:43:32 PM »

Don't get complacent. Elkhorn is safer than where you used to live but no place is completely safe. Whenever a terrible crime is committed in a place with no previous history, there is always someone who laments, "I never thought it could happen here."

Offline far

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
Could be worse, could have tougher gun control laws.....and still

http://kplr11.com/2013/06/17/46-people-shot-7-killed-in-chicago-over-fathers-day-weekend/

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 07:11:26 AM »
Don't get complacent. Elkhorn is safer than where you used to live but no place is completely safe. Whenever a terrible crime is committed in a place with no previous history, there is always someone who laments, "I never thought it could happen here."

I understand completely what you are saying. The dog they were walking is a 98 pound German Shepherd Male that doesn't like very many people. In the house, the 12ga. pump is in a "convenient" location while the other guns are locked away in the safe. It's really quiet here, very nice area with awesome neighbors...but I hear ya'!