< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Woman's Self Defense ?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Woman's Self Defense ?
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »
I've got a friend who is going through a relationship break up, and there's indications that there's a chance that the ex could become violent at some time.  She's hoping not, but just in case... wondering about possibilities for keeping herself safe.

There's no desire to get a gun.

She's got some mace, and will prolly end up getting some bear in a can or other / bigger mace.

She's not keen on lethal violence.

My question for you folks is this:

What would be alternative good self defense things ? Tasers seem like a no no - given close proximity and stuff, they'd just be taken away and used against you.

Is there a good class that could be taken for this kind of thing ? For proper attitude and maybe other stuff ?

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline borrowedsig

• Forum Member
Re: Woman's Self Defense ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:23:29 AM »
Restraining order and gun, not in that order ;). Learn some self defense quick by taking classes? Get a big dog? They have the really expensive tazers like the police use but they are about $1k. I dont know of much other than that.

Matt

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:47 AM »
If looking for a good Woman's self Defense Instructor in Omaha, I would recommend speaking to Christy Stevens at Dek's Tae Kwon Do, she is a retired police officer and has been doing woman's self defense training classes for a long time with a lot of happy students.  Not certain she is still at this school or what her schedule is for woman's self defense classes right now, but she usually does several seminars specifically on this subject every year.

Of course there is always the traditional get into classes and study over a long period of time that really is what is needed if you want to learn unarmed self defense, and there are lots of good instructors (of course there are also lots of bad instructors as well).  There is even one or two that hang around here.  But if in a tough situation a specific short seminar/class is better than nothing.  But I would recommend continuing if there is an issue that a person needs to be prepared for, keeps you physically ready and brings more and better tools into the tool box.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
Where does she live?  What is she willing to do? 

We teach women's self defense in a couple of ways.  When I was in her situation, I started taking Hapkido Classes. It's a great martial art for self defense.  Given that her need is urgent, we do offer private classes for self defense.  If she wants, I'm more than willing to talk to her and help her through the situation.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »
88 Tactical offers a Women’s Primal Defense course.  I’m not seeing it on their website but they post pics from the courses every now and then on their FB page. 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:39:39 PM »
Appreciate the responses.  More are welcome, naturally.  I've printed them out and passed them along, too.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:10:59 AM »
88 Tactical offers a Women’s Primal Defense course.  I’m not seeing it on their website but they post pics from the courses every now and then on their FB page. 

https://88tactical.com/categories/21-primal-performance-series/courses/44-primal-performance-series-women-s-primal-defense/

PRIMAL PERFORMANCE SERIES - WOMEN'S PRIMAL DEFENSE

Summary

This purpose of this course is to teach women how to develop their own innate primal responses to threat and danger through the use of interactive adrenal based training.

Course Description

This course will broken down into 2  sessions of 4 hour blocks of instruction where the following topics of will be covered:

Understanding the neuroscience of the adrenal and primal responses to an attack.
The critical importance of proper mind set of survival and allowing oneself permission to use physical force against another.

You will learn hand positioning, strikes, kicks and foot movement for pre-fight, fight and post fight stages.
The application of improvised weapons and their uses (targets) will be taught as well as fighting from various situational self defense positions such as standing and while on the ground.

Ultimately, the students will perform in an adrenalized state in realistic behavior based scenarios to test the skills they have acquired.

This is not a martial art or technique based course. This course will teach women tangible skills that can be utilized at a moment's notice, under stress and while adrenalized in sudden, worst case, real world scenarios.

Cost: $150.00

Minimum age of 18.

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com