< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hog hunts...  (Read 3334 times)

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
Hog hunts...
« on: June 22, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been spending some time in Texas so that I can become familiar with hog hunting.  It is getting to be funner than I expected.  Anyone on here hunts hogs regularly?  I would like to share stories & opinions, info, etc..

Thanks!
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Hog hunts...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »
I've never had the chance but it's something I've always wanted to do.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 03:19:42 PM »
I can point you in the right direction if you ever decide to go...
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
Or you can just jump in the van we we go next. But be forewarned the dogs fart more than I do.

But as mentioned, from the rally point we walk in and we walk back out. And you are more than welcome to help flip and tie the hogs with us. You have to be in decent shape to dog the hogs. I myself am still healing up for a short stretch but will give you a message on the next date out.
To accuse a man for the sake of drama is a cowardly timid man's work (Rick)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
I've been hog hunting a number of times including: for food, once for a trophy and once for pest control, and I agree it is an absolute blast. Gone several times in Florida, once in Georgia and once in Missouri. I've used dogs (very exciting and unique for a Midwestern boy like me) hunted over bait (corn) stalked them and used thermal imaging. I think hog hunting is going to continue to increase in popularity as the hog population &  range grows. I got a big nasty hog on the wall in my office and still have some pork in the freezer from my last trip. Hurray for hog hunting! 

Here a couple of tasty Georgia sows we got in a peanut field. They were actually black, the red is from the Georgia mud.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 09:40:01 PM »
I've heard a lot of guys just cut off the hams as the rest of the pig isn't worth saving.  Have you found that to be true?

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »
Well...this is what I know so far:

I know that the sows taste better than the big boars.  The big boars can taste better if they have the testicles removed  at some point.

If you are gun hunting, you can eat most of the hog - again the sow is better.

If you are hog doggin' - the dogs can rip the pig up - leaving some rough meat lol.

So far, I like the hams & straps on a sow...

Offline M7025-06

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 08:39:54 AM »
We take the shoulders, hams, tenderloins, and sometimes the ribs. 

I've smoked several shoulders & hams (on the bone) off our wild hogs along with a store bought tenderloin, and the wild hog usually goes over better than the store bought stuff.  Too me...it doesn't get better than a 120-150 sow for smoking meat.

I knocked down a 275 lb boar about 7 years ago and attempted to cook up some of the chops for supper one night...it was like chewing on a leather boot.  So I decided to slow cook em in a crock pot...still didn't work.  All the big boys are good for is sausage.

The ranch we go to used to actually process your hog as part of your hunt, so we'd get chops, bacon, and breakfast sausage (best I've ever had), but they quit a few years ago.  They'll still do it if requested, but it'll cost ya.
NRA Member

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 10:59:33 AM »
i'd love to go.  NFOA roadtrip?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »
Robert,

That was another thought too.  It would be cool to gather up a group of fellas & road trip.

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
" If you are hog doggin' - the dogs can rip the pig up - leaving some rough meat lol. "

Have to lol and argue this one. Any damage to a hog would be the ear and a few puncture wounds to the snout or neck. And the catch dogs are actually only in the hold position for a very short time till hog is flipped and the dog broke off with a breaking stick. They are dogs not alligators.

The biggest chance of damage for "doggin" is to the dog. But thats why we employ cut collars and cut vest and only take properly tested dogs in the field. Or if a hog slips his head from under your knee then you may just get a cutter yourself.

When we take the boars back we castrate and feed on a mixture of grain in our pens till we decide to harvest one. You guys never eat Shoats? Them are the best lol.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:02:25 PM by shovelhead69 »

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
To the guy who hogged in Florida. I did that 2 x. Those are some tough people. Even the plants cut ya up and they got big lizards with teeth and had a blast.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »
I was in Texas on my first dog hunt & I watched some currs tear up the left rear side of a hog.  They are dogs & they can get real ferocious when on a hog.

I had a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:35:54 PM by just_me_mongo »

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »
My first dog hunt, I actually got so tangled up in briars that the guys had to untangle me.  It was hot as can be. 

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:46:43 PM by just_me_mongo »

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »
Well if it was a lil ol shoat then sure the dogs could do a fair bit of damage. Same as any other small animal that a few untrained or wild dogs set to pulling and tugging on can do. 

I havnt been on a just a few hunts for pleasure. I and my family have been doing this for generations for food, fun, pest control and money. You are the one who LOL and gave false info. Not trying to argue with you sgishna just stating the facts.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
Hog hunting is really fun.  I am going to keep at it - I am hoping for a big boar at some point.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:36:46 PM by just_me_mongo »

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
M7025-06, what type of smoker did you use?  Coal or electric?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:39:01 PM by just_me_mongo »

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 11:31:47 AM »
I make this from time to time to give away to people that come with us.

It gets hairy at times and like Mongo said he was stuck in the briars, stuff always happens!  I tried to climb a tree and slid down and took a cutter across the right butt check and have a nasty 4 inch deep scar.

(edit) on that necklace there is a couple of Javelina cutters as well as razorback.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:23:37 PM by shovelhead69 »

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »
I've heard a lot of guys just cut off the hams as the rest of the pig isn't worth saving.  Have you found that to be true?

Not in my experience. As mentioned sows are better and younger is too. But you have to make sausage out of something, right? Also a little marinating helps. The first hog I ever got lived in sugar cane fields near Lake Okeechobee, FL. It ATE SUGAR for a living. That was deeeelicious.

We need more pictures: Pig I shot in Missouri last year- had pretty nice cutters and weighed about 220- he's the one not wearing the hat! Picture of my buddies hog that same trip. And a crappy cell pic of a sow my brother shot in Florida a couple yrs ago. I was driving to pick him up out of the stand -almost pitch black, He had climbed out and was waiting when this sow started rooting around about 50ft away from him. He shined his flashlight on her and shot- got her! Hogs are vermin in Florida and do not require a license- or legal shooting hours, btw.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline M7025-06

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
M7025-06, what type of smoker did you use?  Coal or electric?

Right now I'm using a small gas smoker my uncle built out of an old hot-water heater.  I've got my eye on a couple of electric units at Cabelas though.  Two of my cousins each have one and they are pretty nice.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:00:03 PM by M7025-06 »
NRA Member