< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A couple of old warhorses  (Read 1627 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
A couple of old warhorses
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »
Two of my favorite rifles:

1943 Lee-Enfield.  It's a little beat up and the bore shows some wear, but it still shoots pretty good.  I like to think this old gun took care of a few Nazis back in its heyday.  It took a big fat doe last year:

Finnish M39.  For those who aren't familiar with these, when Finland declared independence from Russia they captured a large number of Mosin Nagant rifles.  Over the years they made several different variants all based on the Mosin receiver.  The M39's were given a heavy, match quality barrel, excellent sights, a slick trigger, and beautiful arctic birch stocks.  Mine has a 1942 dated barrel, but the hex receiver is quite a bit older.  The old Imperial Russian crest has been scrubbed but is still slightly visible.  Barrel is virtually new inside, blueing is 90%, and wood has just a couple of dings.  This is definitely not Ivan's Mosin Nagant:

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Re: A couple of old warhorses
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:50:07 AM »
I like the Enfield. I got this Enfield No 5 Mk I 'Jungle Carbine' reconditioned by Gibbs (now defunct I think) about 7yrs ago when they were cheap. Looks and shoots great. I plan to take it on a pig hunt in Florida this winter. Maybe it was used to clip a few Imperial Japs too?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud