< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Question for the reloaders...  (Read 1570 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Question for the reloaders...
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
Whats the best measure for stick style powder?

The Lee Perfect powder Measure I tried before didn't fare too well, weighing in at plus or minus 0.5 gr every measure without much consistency.

I'm getting tired of measuring out each load by hand.

Opinions? Experiences?

Much appreciated,
Dave
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Question for the reloaders...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:21:54 AM »
What powder?  I use the Perfect for 4064 and it is +- 0.1 after about 20 throws.  In my experience with the Perfect, it is necessary to flick the handle after the throw.  Not real hard just a light flick with your index finger.  I also store the measure with a dryer sheet to prevent static from hanging the powder up.

From what I have read, you can't do much better than the Perfect for the long stick powders.  I did not like the cheap plastic feeling of the Perfect, but after some research I decided to buy several and leave them set for each load.  That saves more time than anything else.  If you want cheap and consistent, short throw into the pan then trickle up.  I think the only way you are going to throw problem powders exact is to spend the money on one of the automatic digital dispensers. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
For some stick powders my Lee PPM works well, but not for others.  What's weird is H4895 and Varget are very similar powders, and it is usually within .1 grain for 4895 but varies a lot more wih Varget.

I only use Varget for precision loads, so what I do is set my powder drop to meter a few tenths light and then trickle up to the desired weight.

Flake powder is a whole different story. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:55:58 AM by bkoenig »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »
Another thing to bear in mind, that I had to learn the hard way.  A cheap digital scale can cause you to think your powder measure is inconsistent.  I started out with a cheap one and couldn't figure out why I had so much fluctuation.  After I bought an RCBS 505 balance scale I found out that my measure was actually pretty good.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »
Fair enough. I use a Frankford Arsenal digital scale and calibrate every time prior to loading.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
The Frankford Arsenal one is what I had all the trouble with.  It would drift up and down by a few tenths.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
Seems you need to spend at least 100 to get a decent digital scale.  I've compared several to my beam and they all seem to drift until you get up there in price.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:05:57 PM »
I have a Lee perfect powder measure.  I get the same +/- .05 variation with stick powder also.

I bought a digital scale by Hornady.  It seems to have a +/- .03 variation when I turn it on.

I think I also need to invest is a better model.
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story