< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What a CCI standard velocity .22LR can do at 100 yds  (Read 1796 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
What a CCI standard velocity .22LR can do at 100 yds
« on: July 01, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: What a CCI standard velocity .22LR can do at 100 yds
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »
FWIW: 

The Shooter used CCI .22lr 40gr Lead Solid Point 1070fps rounds.
Just about as basic .22lr fodder as can be gotten.
Not even Hollow Point.
At 100 yards.

And this load was shown to be Pretty Wicked Stuff, indeed.   For sure, the Deer thought so.   While he could still think.

I've always thought that 7, 8, or more rounds of .22lr fired as fast as the trigger can be pulled would be rather effective in an SD event.

And still think so.   Even in a pistol barrel.

And even moreso w/hotter .22lr hypervelocity loads.

But I'm still gonna carry the .357Sig.

sfg[Thanks, GG, for the interesting vid.]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:45:12 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline springfield40

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »
I don't think anyone has really argued the lethality of the .22 long rifle.  But the argument is if it would be quick enough to be "effective" in a life or death fight.  As a "survival round/weapon" I am not sure if there is a better choice.  A person can carry 2000 rounds of .22 for almost the same weight as 300 rounds of .223.  It's quiet, lethal, cheap, and until recently, as common as dirt.  And to add onto all of the pluses, it is incredibly accurate. 
As far as putting big game meat on the table?  Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.....
It will get it done.
Frank

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
                 Being a Brief Essay on the Efficacy of the .22lr Cartridge in Self Defense Situations

Problem Statement:
....But the argument is if it would be quick enough to be "effective" in a life or death fight.

Preferred Solution:

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement..... 
It will get it done.

I have nothing else at all to add to this Most Excellent Treatise on Handgun Self Defense.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:34:26 AM »
I've always thought that 7, 8, or more rounds of .22lr fired as fast as the trigger can be pulled would be rather effective in an SD event.

And still think so.   Even in a pistol barrel.

And even moreso w/hotter .22lr hypervelocity loads.

But I'm still gonna carry the .357Sig.

I was hoping that my wife could handle the Nano but, alas, she could not.  She can, however, handle  ALL aspects of using the HP22A very well, including reasonable accuracy at 7 yards.   The muzzle energy of the HP22A is about the same as that at 100 yds for an LR standard velocity  round fired from a rifle:  78 fl-lbs, which did a number on that deer's skull.

I suspect that few would recognize the caliber of the gun being pointed at them, or if they did think it was a .22 would ignore it.   No one wants to be shot.   Meth heads?   They probably wouldn't feel a 9mm or .45 round either, unless it struct them in the head, neck or spine.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:11:45 AM »
This is what CCI Standard does for me at 100yds. So if you need body armor in a pinch, poker chips will work.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »
So the standard velocity round blew the plastic off the chip frame at 100 yds?
Paper covers rock.
Scissors covers paper.
Rock breaks scissors
and
Steel covers bone
 :laugh:

Offline springfield40

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »
Wow I had no idea that some poker chips had metal in them.

Frank

Offline fishguy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
Wow I had no idea that some poker chips had metal in them.

Frank

I was thinking the same thing. I still wouldn't volunteer to be shot by any round of ammo at 100 yds. .22lr is good enough for me. I have seen arguements on other forums of how poor a defense round it is. I agree there are better options, but I'd rather have a .22 than nothing!