< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So, I got my pistol purchase permit...  (Read 2803 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
So, I got my pistol purchase permit...
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:59:24 PM »
And I wanna buy a 1911 pistol. Any brands or model types anyone would recommend? Would anyone recommend *against* a 1911? I'm looking to spend under $1,000 if possible. Thanks for your help. :)

A few things to consider:
-I may want to concealed carry later on.
-I like .45's but would also consider 9mm. I have tried .40 and didn't really like it.
-I prefer auto pistols to revolvers

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:04:05 PM by Krylancelo »

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: So, I got my pistol purchase permit...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:18:35 PM »
There are so many good firearm manufacturers out there today.
I own a Kimber Pro CDP early series 4" barrel for daily carry and they are pricey. But can be found used in your price range.
The Spring-Fields are very good and should be able to find something in your price range.
Taurus is also worthy of looking at they are very aesthetic in appearance but internally perhaps not so refined.

You of course are the one to decide and the feel,balance and trigger will let you know which is right for you.
Now if you are going to purchase a 4" for CCW or a 5" that is a larger decision.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »
Thanks for the response. I loved the 5" Springfield I rented at The Bullet Hole, even though the hand grip was falling off  :P. It was fun as hell. The recoil felt lighter than the .40 Glock I shot (by a ton) and even a bit less than the 9mm. I'm not sure if it's the build or the weight of the gun but it felt great.

The only gripe I have with the 1911 is that the magazine capacity is pretty small compared to a lot of other modern pistols. However, that's a good motivator to make me become a better marksmen. :)

Now the trick is finding a SA Mil-spec 1911 in stock somewhere... I might check out Guns Unlimited tonight after work...

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:37:34 PM »
Randy is right, there are a ton of choices out there. My very favorite handgun I own (right now anyways  ;) ) is my Springfield Mil-Spec. I run more ammunition through it than any other gun I own hands down. It just brings a smile to my face.  :) I do however want to buy a Kimber at some point.

I totally agree, it has much less felt recoil than my G22 and other .40s did. In fact, I have since gotten rid of all of my .40s and now just have 9mms and .45s. I am much more accurate with my 1911's in .45 than I am with my Glock in 9mm, and I am more accurate with my G17 than I was with my G22.

As much as I like my 1911's, my carry gun is still a Glock. It's just a personal thing. I trust my Glock to fire and function 100% of the time, there is no manual safety to have to remember to use in a tense situation, and of course there is the capacity issue. I am in NO WAY knocking 1911's as carry guns, and would not hesitate to carry mine, but there is just something about my Glock that makes me want it as my carry weapon.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back to 1911's. To me, a 1911 should be a .45. I don't know why, I guess it's kind of like I think a Camaros and Mustangs should always have a V-8. The 6 cylinder cars run just fine and will get you to where you need to go just as well, but they just don't seem right to me. Same with a 1911. There are always lots of different 1911's at gun shows, so even if you don't buy one there, it's a great place to shop around and get the feel for different models and configurations. I picked up a used loaded Springfield at a gun show last year that I am real happy with, and got it bought for under 500 bucks out the door.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:50:55 PM by Jay »

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
I LOVE my Springfield XD 40.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »
re: 1911  .45s ....... I used to feel the same way as Jay, until I actually carried a 5" steel framed 1911 for awhile.  It concealed OK (because it is flat- they don't call it ol' slabsides fer nothin'....), but what with all that steel + 8 rounds of 230gr ammo..... it just had a tendency to try to drag my pants in the direction of my ankles.  I learned to shoot single action, making each shot count, so a DA trigger is foreign to me..... I liked the 1911, just not the weight.  I solved the issue with a 9mm Springer EMP.   I love that gun.... 1/2 the weight and 2/3 the size........ true, in a gunfight, I'd wish I had a bigger gun, but that would be true if I had the .45 .......

re: .40s  ...... I shot Jay's boat anchor heavy S&W .40 ...... seemed to me it kicked more than my 1911, even though it was heavier, which SHOULD have meant it SHOULD have kicked less......... "snappy" is the term that came to mind.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »
Most any of the Para Ordnance line is in your budget,  My widebody 45 gives me 14+1 in the gun and 2-16rnd mags on the side.

When I carry da 9 mike mike then it's 17+1 in the gun and 2X23rnds in mags. 
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:20:08 PM »
Colt 1911 XSE is what I own... Why get a copy, get the real thing... Flame retardant suit on now...LOL

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »
Unless you handload, .45 ACP is much spendier than 9mm....... that said, I like to shoot .45 over 9....... but my wallet does not.

I have a $400 Charles Daly 1911a1 that I like.....it is just to heavy for EDC.  My EMP (world's smallest 1911!) does everything I want it to do except knock bowling pins OFF the table without using Premium Personal Defense ammo.......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
If I was going to buy a 1911 for CCW, I'd get something along the lines of a Colt CCO (or clone).  It has a commander length slide on an officer's frame. 

Here's an archive thread about it from Arfcom (you need a team membership to view):
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=71211

Nighthawk, S&W, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Wilson Combat, Colt, Sig, STI, and Dan Wesson either make or made a CCO-style 1911. 

I have a STI Spartan 1911 that's a nice handgun, but it's designed more for gaming than CCW.
NRA Life Member.

Offline red71

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »
If I was going to buy a 1911 for CCW, I'd get something along the lines of a Colt CCO (or clone).  It has a commander length slide on an officer's frame. 

Here's an archive thread about it from Arfcom (you need a team membership to view):
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=71211

Nighthawk, S&W, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Wilson Combat, Colt, Sig, STI, and Dan Wesson either make or made a CCO-style 1911. 

I have a STI Spartan 1911 that's a nice handgun, but it's designed more for gaming than CCW.

I got an officers and had feeding problems, so I picked up A commander slide. It works perfect and conceals well.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 05:33:35 AM »
Kimber Eclipse Target II.

Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 11:37:33 PM »
Kimber Eclipse Target II.

That's a little big and pokey- all sharp edges and such- for CCW..... that rear sight looks like it'd jab  me right in the short ribs.....

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 08:00:55 AM »
BTW, JimP:

Does "most of us" in your sig line refer to you?  It sure doesn't apply to me, or from what I've read here, anyone else in the group.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 08:32:09 AM »
It applies to me. I am afraid to open carry even though I know it is totally legal, I don't have money for lawyers :-\
N0ZXR

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »
It applies to me. I am afraid to open carry even though I know it is totally legal, I don't have money for lawyers :-\

I'm in the same boat. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »

I <3 free lawyers...

and as such I OC a LOT.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:21:42 AM by Dark Helmet »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »
BTW, JimP:

Does "most of us" in your sig line refer to you?  It sure doesn't apply to me, or from what I've read here, anyone else in the group.

Methinks you are speaking in generalities/stereotypes, A&H......... I certainly am afraid to OC in places like Lincoln and Omaha.  I KNOW it is perfectly legal for me to do so, but I'm also as sure as gravity it would couse me to have a bad day........ there are a lot of OnlyOnes in those parts.....

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
Omaha, I don't know about.  Lincoln, unless you are doing something illegal, or actiing suspiciously (outside of having a gun), you're pretty safe in carrying in the open.  I carry quite frequently around town, both openly and concealed.  I often carry openly in warm weather when it would be more difficult to conceal.  I often walk past the police substation near me, and police often pass me as I walk down the sidewalk.  It's entirely possible they didn't notice, but I've never had so much as a double take as they pass by me.  I know many people have seen me carrying in the open, and to my knowledge, no one has ever called the cops.  In fact, I've never even had so much as a comment from them even if I stop to talk to them for a while.  I do not open carry going into stores, restaurants, etc., or anyplace it would be illegal of course.  The reason being not so much that I am concerned about my legal standing, but just that I don't want to be the cause of anyone being scared or upset by the presence of a gun.  I just conceal when going to those places as a courtesy to people who might not feel comfortable around guns.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 12:51:18 AM »
Everybody is different, and trusts in cops different amounts, places different levels of faith in others view of their rights, etc etc I could go on.  You might get lucky every time and meet cops who won't care if you carry openly.  You might get one soccer mom freaking out and a cop who hates guns and just has to harass you to ruin your year.  The bottom (and unfortunate) line is that you never really know since firearms are such a touchy subject for everyone involved on both sides of the spectrum.  Because of this everyone draws their own line that fits in their comfort zone - comparing risks versus needs versus political statement versus whatever else. I'm sure the other forum members will correct me if i'm way off base here, when I say:

NFOA exists to support anyone who believes in firearm rights, no matter where your realistic "line in the sand" is. 

Thanks for sharing your views everyone.
N0ZXR