< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha's Thumb/Finger Print requirement  (Read 3153 times)

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
Omaha's Thumb/Finger Print requirement
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »
Buying a firearm in Omaha just got a bit more restrictive.  In the next few weeks you will be required to leave a finger or thumb print (sorry, I can't recall the news article on which) when purchasing a firearm, which has been required at pawn shops in the metro area.

I suggest you Omahan's send a thank you note to your city council... :o

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Omaha's Thumb/Finger Print requirement
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:08:54 PM »
Seriously?

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »
Guess I'm gonna go buy my pistol tomorrow.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »
Guess I'm gonna go buy my pistol tomorrow.

Not that I am discouraging you from buying a handgun tomorrow, but, you don't have to buy in Omaha, do you?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:59:57 PM »
I suppose not, but I live in Omaha so it's just the same, isn't it?

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:42:56 PM »
So this is really for *BUYING* a firearm, not just *SELLING*? Because if so, this has gone too damn far.

Offline wwhuskerman

• Former Nebraskans
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »
So this is really for *BUYING* a firearm, not just *SELLING*? Because if so, this has gone too damn far.

I guess that's my question. I thought this was just for those "selling" a firearm. Not that that's any better.

I was in the process of writing a letter to the council members when the issue got tabled. Heard Tuesday that it was going to be brought back up, and boom, it's law on Wednesday? WTF did I miss? Don't they have to read an ordinance three times before passage? I know they waive that sometimes, but usually not on something that's got some controversy attached.

Here's what I'm sending the council now:

"Hey, Omaha... in the middle of a budget crunch, when guns sales are at an all time high and you could be raking in tax dollars, you instead chase them out of town. Brilliant. Why don't you do a study of how much tax money you take in from gun sales in your city? Then... subtract all of it from next year's budget. While you're at it, let LaVista and Fremont know how much more tax revenue they can expect to receive.

Legal guns owners are going to stop buying firearms in Omaha. Not because we're criminals... criminals don't care about your laws... but because I'm tired of being treated as a "Criminal-in-Waiting." Oh, and since I won't be stopping at your gun stores, I won't be buying my ammunition and other supplies there either. With the average gun sale around $400-$500 (my educated guess), that's a lot of sales tax going right out of town.

If this is such a good idea, let's apply your logic to drunk driving. Here we go... stay with me: Anyone trading in a used car in Omaha will have to be fingerprinted. This will cut down on the number of drunk driving accidents in Omaha. Wait... what?

If you want gun crime reduced in Omaha, you need to:

1) Encourage legal gun ownership. When there's more of us than there are of them... that's a good thing.

2) Encourage legal concealed carry. An armed society is a polite society.

3) Focus your law enforcement efforts on criminals, not law-abiding citizens. You say you want the public's support. It's hard for us to help you when you keep kicking us in the teeth.

4) Stop pretending that lighting candles and holding "peace marches" are going to solve anything. Like it or not, you are in a war with the criminal elements. The soon you start acting like it and take pro-active, aggressive actions against the criminal element, the sooner you can hope to win.

Although I work in Omaha, I don't live in your City... I live in a small town. Criminals don't come here because they know "those rural people" keep guns around. I know it's a crazy thought... but what if the criminals thought that about Omaha? What might your crime rate be then?

Just some thoughts.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »
Good post, man. I'm getting pretty pissed off. I'm gonna try and locate a gun store outside of Omaha. Where's a good one in La Vista?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »
TheBulletHole and CaBela's are both in LaVista........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:09:30 PM »
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:10:16 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:52:23 PM »
Great letter  Huskerman-------

Poor Man 
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13:31 PM »
Explain to me in the most gun owner paranoid form, how is this any different than providing any other form of valid identification?
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 11:29:20 PM »
This bill concerns selling a gun.

It has nothing to do with being paranoid, it is quite simply just another unnecessary piece of legislation.

We are supposed to be trying to get rid of this kind of thing a little at a time, not continue to let this kind of stuff pile up a little at a time.

In reality, this by itself is not a big deal as far as the legitimate gun owner is concerned, but it is the cumulative effect of letting stuff go that seems to be not that big of deal that ends up biting us in the a$$.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 11:35:13 PM »
I would like to leave the government a *^# print for no reason.

I am afraid it will never stop until they have everyone's DNA on file.

Associations like this and a few other worthy groups is one hope of getting some of this changed.
This with elections.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 11:18:03 AM »
Just so you all know... I just bought my first pistol, went to go register it at Omaha PD downtown and they took my right index finger print... Nice. At least we aren't in Massachusettes where they make you give them a spent casing of the gun so they can match any casings found at crime scenes to your gun!

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
I'm just going to continue buying my guns from the Fremont gun show. I end up leaving with something every time I go.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 11:34:41 PM »
Yes that has been the norm for Omaha registration.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »
Well, poop on Omaha then, I won't be selling any guns there thank you very much. Cabelas, Bullet Hole in Sarpy County will do. As well as Bud's Pawn Shop & Fontenelle Gun Shop in Bellevue.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 12:13:36 PM »
The thing is, it only hurts Omaha businesses. I had a long talk with one of the guys at Guns Unlimited and he's freaking pissed.

I contacted the Mayor and I'm gonna be emailing the city council also. I'm still not sure what district I'm in though.  ???

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 12:25:18 PM »
You can download a map of the districts here:

http://www.co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/citycouncil/

WARNING: I just tried to click on the map to zoom in on an area, and it ended up freezing up my computer to the point where I had to unplug it and start over. I think if it were me, I would just call the number in the contact information box at the right hand side of the screen and see if they can tell you what district you are in.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:57:18 PM by Jay »