< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Members Unite  (Read 1501 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Omaha Members Unite
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:17:54 PM »
This new "you must be fingerprinted" when selling a gun law that was passed is, to put it plainly and simply, complete bullguano. We should not have to spend more of our tax dollars to fund something that is completely unnecessary and a waste of money. It will *NOT* improve our crime situation. In fact, it may make it worse. People that may have armed themselves and could possibly defend themselves may not because the people that could've sold them firearms wouldn't sell to them. This will not make it any harder at all for criminals to get their hands on guns. All it does is put further restrictions and limitations on lawful gun owners.

We need to band together and cry out to stop this. I can see it now, everyone goes "Well, if you're not doing anything wrong with your gun you have nothing to fear." Okay, while we're at it let's have everyone's phone conversations, emails, internet instant messages, and cell phone text messages recorded. If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear, right? Or let's make you get fingerprinted every time you buy a household chemical that can be used to make a bomb or create drugs (there's a lot more than you would think). Cuz if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear, right?

This is a blatant violation of our privacy and rights. I'm freaking pissed. Who else is pissed? We need to be angry, we need to be firm, we need to fight this.

Sorry if this comes across as ranting, I'm very very pissed off.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:42:16 PM by Krylancelo »

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: Omaha Members Unite
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »
I am angry. I am going to thank the city of Omaha by not buying or selling any guns there, and spending as little money as possible there. I will drive across Harrison street to do this.

Sorry Scheels and Guns Unlimited, but Omaha is not the place to be for a gun store.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »
The worst part is, it isn't their fault. Omaha is hurting all gun stores in their city by passing this.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:47:42 AM »
I just emailed the mayor (http://www.co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/mayor/contact-us). Feel free to copy & paste my letter if you want. I'm not sure who else to contact, but we need to make it clear that there are a lot of people opposed to the garbage the city of Omaha keeps throwing at us.

What I wrote:
Dear Mayor,

I am contacting you today to beseech you to reconsider the recent gun legislation that has been passed. Not only does it hurt only the legal gun owners, it is hurting our Omaha businesses. Crime is not going to be lowered, and it is doing nothing to improve the lives of our citizens.

It is our right as American citizens to possess firearms as guaranteed in the second amendment. There are many law abiding citizens, such as myself, that enjoy guns as a hobby and as a method to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and our fellow man from danger when necessary. Making laws that restrict the ability to own firearms only hurts those of us that follow them. Criminals and felons are not amongst those that it hurts. They will still continue to get their guns from illegal sources and there will always be crime. If you really want to stop crime, we need to get organized. More neighborhood watches, more armed civilians.

Scheel's and Guns Unlimited bring in a large amount of money to the city and lots of tax dollars to be spent on things we need. However, making it more and more difficult for them to do business hurts everyone. Many people would prefer to just buy our guns other places and not have to deal with all the hassle of registration and fingerprinting. This, of course, is in addition to the overhead costs of requiring handgun registration and fingerprinting. Abolishing those requirements alone would save more tax money than I can even guess.

So please, reconsider the current laws and work with the gun owning citizens of Omaha. We want to work with you and support you but we simply cannot if you continue to oppose our right to bear arms. Thank you for your time.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »
Good letter, but unfortunately, it will most likely be completely ignored.   >:(

But, maybe not if they get a few dozen or so just like that.... ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:58:28 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »
I have also emailed (with some slight modifications) the exact same thing to all of the members of the Omaha City Council.

We need more people to act on this and let them know what we think. We cannot expect them to properly represent us if we do not speak out. It isn't their failing but our own if we don't do what we can. Let's reclaim our gun rights in Omaha, people!

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 05:42:33 PM »
-----Original Message-----
From: Smith, Thelma J. (Mayr) [mailto:Thelma.Smith@ci.omaha.ne.us] On Behalf
Of Hotline
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:27 PM
To: Don Short
Subject: Possible Spam: RE: Omaha Mayor's Office: Fingerprinting For
Firearms Sales Ordinance

Dear Don,

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the City Council ordinance
regarding gun sales in secondhand shops. 

Mayor Suttle supports the ordinance that requires secondhand gun dealers
to fingerprint people who want to sell guns, a practice that is already
required in pawn shops.   This ordinance is another tool to protect the
rights of law abiding gun owners and prevent illegal guns from falling
into the hands of criminals.   In addition, this ordinance will help in
the prosecution of criminals who will attempt to sell an unlicensed gun.
Because the ordinance helps protect the safety of our community and the
2nd amendment rights of gun owners, Mayor Suttle believes the ordinance
will have a positive impact for the citizens of Omaha and signed the
ordinance into law.   

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this
subject.  Please don't hesitate to contact the mayor's office in the
future.

Thank you,

T.J. Smith
Mayor's Office
Hotline Director
City Of Omaha
402-444-5555
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »
Can one of you extremely pissed off guys explain to me why this is worse than providing any other form of legal ID already required when selling to a gun dealer.  I am not saying it will not have the effect on gun sales in city limits like you predict, but I have given up my fingerprints so many times so I can have the guns I want what do I care?
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
It's just another unnecessary piece of legislation that makes it more difficult/annoying to own a firearm. And it's a huge waste of our tax money. And, in my opinion, it will do virtually nothing to stop crime. I emailed the city council as well.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »
from Gernandt, Garry C. (CCou) <Garry.Gernandt@ci.omaha.ne.us>
dateTue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:19 PM
subjectRE: Omaha City Council: Gun Control
mailed-byci.omaha.ne.us

This is an expansion of what is already being done, NO ONE is being harmed nor are their rights being violated.

GG

This is the official response from Councilman Garry Gernandt, apparently.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 06:46:57 PM »
to"Gernandt, Garry C. (CCou)" <Garry.Gernandt@ci.omaha.ne.us>
dateTue, Jul 21, 2009 at 6:34 PM
subjectRe: Omaha City Council: Gun Control
mailed-bygmail.com

With all due respect, Councilman, expanding on something that is already being done does not mean it or even the original law is right or just.

As far as no one being harmed, I can give you at least 20 specific examples where people have said, with great conviction, that they will not shop nor even set foot in our city because of these laws. That hurts everyone that truly cares about this city. It hurts our tax money coming in and it hurts our local businesses.

And not violating someone's rights is certainly a matter of opinion. The right to bear arms is guaranteed in the 2nd amendment. Nowhere in the Bill of Rights does it state that it will be necessary to register or give our fingerprints to bear such arms. And as I stated before, the added costs from requiring our law enforcement officers to do the paperwork for registrations and fingerprinting adds up to a large sum of money. I'm going to guess at least $100,000 a year.

Again, I am not attacking you as I have great respect for our city council and all of its members. I just hope that you can see it from my perspective as it is not just mine but that of many of Omaha's gun owners.

Thank you again for your time.

My response. I'm not sure if this is making any difference at all or if it's just a waste of time. Oh well, some of you guys might even consider my stance a bit extreme. I'll continue to do what is required to legally own my guns, I'm not a criminal. However, I don't have to like it.  >:(

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »
As a person who lives in Omaha my firearms related business will be going elsewhere. Sorry to all Omaha gun stores. Omaha is not a pro-Second Amendment city.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:41:59 PM »
Okay, I'm ready to get raked over the coals again.  First, let me say that I live in Lincoln, but I do oppose this Omaha ordinance.  I even wrote your mayor and your city council to express my dismay at this and also the gun registration ordinance.  However, I think some of you either don't understand the point of this thing, or you simply are so mad you don't care what it says, only that you don't want it.

It seems to me, unless I read something wrong, the law requires fingerprinting in order to sell a gun, not to buy one.  Okay, I don't like it either way.  And, it gives the police access to these records.  I don't like that part either.  Still, the point of the law, as the mayor tried to explain, is to try and stop guns from being stolen from their legal, registered owners.  If the thieves have a harder time selling them, they will be less attractive as a means of raising money for their meth habits or whatever other illegal activities they may be involved in.  Think of it like the laws many jurisdicitions have passed regarding the sale of scrap metal.  People stealing copper wire, copper pipe, aluminum, man hole covers, just about anything they could sell to the scrap dealer, were creating a lot of expense for the rest of the public and often some very unsafe situations as well (missing man hole covers in the streets, stolen ground wires on electrical equipment, phone outages, etc.).  This hasn't completely disappeared, but it has been reduced a great deal by laws regulating the sale of scrap metals and requiring those doing so to register and provide ID.  I'm not saying the gun fingerprinting is going to work as well (there will still be illegal sales of stolen guns to other criminals), but it is an attempt to protect legal gun owners.  It may be ill-advised, poorly designed, ineffective, and unwanted by gun owners, but I don't see it as an attempt to stymie legal gun sales or make it so hard for law-abiding citizens to buy and sell guns that they give up and stop owning guns.

Like David Hineline said above, it's not really that much different than providing any other form of ID.  I'm not sure what the previous practice was regarding the sale of used guns to a gun store.  I've never sold one myself to a dealer.  My guess is they at least got your name and address.  Unless you provided them a false ID, giving them a fingerprint too isn't going to make a whole lot of difference, is it?

I repeat, I'm not in favor of this thing, I wrote in to complain about it, and I don't think it will be terribly effective.  It may indeed have a negative effect economically for Omaha (though I would imagine gun sales are a pretty small fraction of the business transactions in Omaha as a whole).  On the other hand, unless you are one of those paranoid, think everything is a conspiracy against you, everything the government does is wrong sort of people, (or a gun thief) I can't see why it makes you so angry.

Here in Lincoln, there was just a story about some places that were buying stolen property and reselling it.  One of them was a record/CD/DVD shop that bought and sold new and used items.  The police got some information that they were buying stolen property, so they set up a sting to check it out and put a stop to it.  They got brand new CDs and DVDs from some local stores and took them in to sell (undercover of course).  The owner and one of his employees bought them knowing full well they were stolen (still had the anti-theft magnetic strips attached).  They cooperated with police afterward and got off pretty lightly.  They have since changed their policy and now require an ID before they'll buy anything.  They tag every item so it can be traced back to the seller if it is subsequently determined to be stolen.  I don't think they were required to do this, but it may have contributed to them getting off easy for what they had been doing.  The point is that if we continue to allow people like this to provide an easy outlet for stolen goods, we're only cutting our own throats.

One more time, I don't like the new Omaha law.  I'm simply trying to point out the real intent of it (as I see it anyway).  If someone knows differently, and it really is some kind of conspiracy to take our guns away from us, clue the rest of us in on how you know that.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »
If the thieves have a harder time selling them, they will be less attractive as a means of raising money for their meth habits or whatever other illegal activities they may be involved in.

If I am a druggie or gang banger, after the first one of my homies gets fingerprinted trying to sell a gun to a dealer or pawnshop, I would be selling my stolen guns to my other homies or trading them off for drugs. As I do not live in Omaha and try to avoid it whenever I can, it won't be a problem for me, BUT it to me is still an affront to legal law abiding citizens.Too much government, Suttle doesn't care he'll just raise taxes to pay for his Durango. Geesh...