< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AR Optics  (Read 2690 times)

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
AR Optics
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
I have a cheap red-dot on a flat-top AR, and have been having a ton of trouble with accuracy. After a LOT of tinkering, I think the optics (or mounts) may be the culprit, and was looking to try an inexpensive but reliable scope (4x-ish).

I'm curious what you all recommend that fits that description.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
Re: AR Optics
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »
What is inexpensive to you?

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:35:26 AM »
The Nikon P-223 is an excellent choice that can be found for under $150. The features and glass quality far surpass anything else in this price range. The BDC reticle is nice to have on the AR platform.

Here's one at $149.95 new unopened box. http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-223-3x32-bdc-carbine-rifle-scope.html

Shop around and you might even find it lower somewhere else.

If you want variable power the Nikon Prostaff line will give you that with reticle choices for a few bucks more.

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »
What is inexpensive to you?

Hoping to be under $100, but not sure I'll find much at that price...

Offline M7025-06

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
Without knowing what kind of shooting/hunting you're doing with this setup...here are a coule of pretty good deals for around a $100. 

http://www.samplelist.com/Bushnell-15-45x32-Elite-3200-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P64113.aspx

http://www.samplelist.com/Redfield-2-7x34-Revenge-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P64088.aspx

Otherwise browse through SWFA's Sample List.  They usually have some pretty good deals on demo's, plus they're a good company to deal with

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx

ETA:  SWFA does price-match.

NRA Member

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
That Bushnell Elite 3200 is probably as good of a deal as you will find for around $100.  It normally goes for closer to $300, I would jump on it if I were you.  Cheap optics generally are pretty bad.  The Bushnell Elite line is a good value for the money.

What kind of problems are you having?  Is it just large groups, or is your zero shifting?

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:04:14 AM »
What kind of problems are you having?  Is it just large groups, or is your zero shifting?

Mainly problem is large groups, although I believe the zero drifts a bit, hence my desire to change optics to rule that out or confirm it. Large groups means 6-8 MOA.

I don't believe it is sloppy technique, and I've tried the usual steps to bring the group together:
- Friends who are good shooters have tried it with the same results.
- I've torn the rifle down, scrubbed it clean, inspected the parts, lubed it up, and tightened everything back down (several times).
- I've shot hundreds of rounds with ammo ranging from 40gr to 75gr... and I sent those through a chronograph to make sure it wasn't a gas system or ammo consistency issue.

So, now I need to see what an optics change will do.

I'll take a look at that Bushnell.

Offline M7025-06

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
If you can save up a few more bucks...this would be something to look at.  I've been using Bushnell scopes for quite awhile and have nothing bad to say about them.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-Optics-30mm-Rifle-Scope-Mount-Kit-P61994.aspx

NRA Member

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
Try putting your red dot on a friend's rifle that is known to shoot straight. Make sure you know what the problem is before you start buying things.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »
How does your rifle shoot with iron sights? Better than 6 - 8 MOA?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 11:15:08 AM »
If you can save up a few more bucks...this would be something to look at.  I've been using Bushnell scopes for quite awhile and have nothing bad to say about them.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-Optics-30mm-Rifle-Scope-Mount-Kit-P61994.aspx
Pretty sure it isn't out yet

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »
Try putting your red dot on a friend's rifle that is known to shoot straight.

Good idea, I may try that next time I hit the range...

How does your rifle shoot with iron sights? Better than 6 - 8 MOA?

No irons, it has the low profile gas block and flat top upper with a rail...

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »
No irons, it has the low profile gas block and flat top upper with a rail...

Before buying another sight, buy some irons. They are essential. Troy makes great ones for flat tops.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
I have an optisan mamba. It cost like $125 with a mount. Its actually pretty decent for what it cost.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
I'm kind of an optics snob (apologies ahead of time) but I am of the opinion that you can't get a good optic that will have clear glass, hold zero, and be reliable without spending at least $300. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but my experience with cheap optics has been pretty awful. The only one I've kept around is the Primary Arms Micro Red Dot, and that's sitting on my .22lr AR.

If you do want to save up for awhile and spend more money I'd recommend the following:
-Aimpoint PRO (if you want a red dot)
-Burris MTAC (if you want a 1-4x adjustable).

If you want to shoot longer range, you'll want a different recommendation as I have very little experience with high magnification optics. But I'd have to believe that the cheaper stuff will perform even worse at long range due to shifting zero, unclear glass, etc.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
I'm kind of an optics snob (apologies ahead of time) but I am of the opinion that you can't get a good optic that will have clear glass, hold zero, and be reliable without spending at least $300. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but my experience with cheap optics has been pretty awful. The only one I've kept around is the Primary Arms Micro Red Dot, and that's sitting on my .22lr AR.

If you do want to save up for awhile and spend more money I'd recommend the following:
-Aimpoint PRO (if you want a red dot)
-Burris MTAC (if you want a 1-4x adjustable).

If you want to shoot longer range, you'll want a different recommendation as I have very little experience with high magnification optics. But I'd have to believe that the cheaper stuff will perform even worse at long range due to shifting zero, unclear glass, etc.

You're absolutely right.  I have learned the hard way that cheap optics are just a hole in the ground where you throw money.  For lower powered / shorter range stuff you can get away with lower priced optics but unless you find something on closeout or buy something used anything around $100 will probably be junk.  It may have lots of bells and whistles, but it probably won't hold zero and the clicks probably won't be repeatable.  For lower priced stuff Primary Arms has a good reputation.  Stay away from Barska, Leapers, BSA, etc.

When you go to longer ranges you really need to start spending money.  I had a Weaver 3-10 Grand Slam on my .308 for a while and it was a very good scope for the money.  It had decent (not great) glass and the adjustments were repeatable, which IMO is the most important thing.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »
If you're sticking with less-expensive red dots, check out what Primary Arms offers.  They have 'clones' of Aimpoints, but guys on AR15.com rave about the quality.

Or you could save $400 for an Aimpoint PRO.  Outstanding optic.

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
Thanks for all the input.

Keep in mind, I am mainly looking for a diagnostic tool to help figure out the accuracy issues. Once I know the rifle is solid, I'll spend on good long-term optics.

Still looking at other (inexpensive) options too, since a crappy diagnostic toll may not help me diagnose anything.

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
I'll say it one more time. GOOD IRONS. Try Troy.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
+1 for troy irons. You can put the front on the gas block and not worry about the plastic one getting a little gooey from blasting tons of rounds down range. Magpul even says not to put them on the gas block. I did get a Magpul MBUS rear sight though.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.