< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Changes coming for Form 1  (Read 2927 times)

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
Changes coming for Form 1
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:20:13 AM »
Soon you will likely be able to pay with a credit/debit card, but you will have to print your form on 8.5" x 14" paper.

http://www.dickclarklaw.com/news/changestoatfform1coming

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Changes coming for Form 1
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »
8.5 x 14 paper?  what a joke.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:56 AM »

Yes, I would expect that if all they are doing is allowing credit card payment that it would be just another form and leave the Form 1 / 4 intact. 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
Yes, I would expect that if all they are doing is allowing credit card payment that it would be just another form and leave the Form 1 / 4 intact.

You get out of here with that common sense talk....   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
You get out of here with that common sense talk....   

Common sense, hell, I just thought the gov't would love to create yet another form!

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »

Well, since the existing forms only mention payment by check or money order, they would need to amend them regardless. See, e.g., answer 1(a) and instruction (g) on the Form 1.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
Common sense, hell, I just thought the gov't would love to create yet another form!

It isn't entirely clear, but they may be consolidating the certification of compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) (currently made via 5330.20) into the Form 1 and Form 4. Part of the federal register notice that I link in my short blog post mentioned that one of the purposes of the change is to "combine information currently captured on another form."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:02:19 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »

NFATCA is recommending that "Those wishing to make official comments, especially in opposition to the proposed 8.5" x 14" format, should contact Gary.Schaible@atf.gov"

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »
i will contact them tomorrow.  the NFATCA is screwing everything up.  i've visited their forum several times and i can't stand them.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »
i will contact them tomorrow.  the NFATCA is screwing everything up.  i've visited their forum several times and i can't stand them.

Hah, well, their forum only gets about one post a month, so they can't be doing too much damage there. ;)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Hammermill-Paper-Brightness-Sheets-10501-5/dp/B000EFLV7W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_op_2

Yeah, I know, but having to deal with another paper format just to be able to print a form that allows you to send $200 to the feds... chaps my hide.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 08:47:13 PM »
Yeah, I know, but having to deal with another paper format just to be able to print a form that allows you to send $200 to the feds... chaps my hide.

But the new size papers fits through their shredders better :laugh:

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »
anybody going to voice an opinion on this to the ATF?

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
anybody going to voice an opinion on this to the ATF?

Here is the text of the comment that I submitted:

Dear Sir:

I am writing to comment on the proposed changes to ATF Form 1, the 60-day notice for which was published here: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/07/22/2013-17492/agency-information-collection-activities-proposed-collection-comments-requested-application-to-make

While I do not have specific information about the proposed changes to the form's content, I generally support the consolidation of forms required for submission of an application to make a firearm under the NFA. I would especially favor consolidation of Form 5330.20 into Form 1, as this would simplify the process of preparing the application materials.

However, I am very concerned about the change in format from 8.5" x 11" to 8.5" x 14". Many, if not most, of the taxpayers submitting these applications are doing so from home, printing their own forms. Most people do not keep legal paper stock at home, and forcing everyone to print their forms on this less common paper stock will be an additional hardship, either requiring applicants to pay a fee to a commercial printer or to purchase a ream of suitable paper for this purpose. Either way, requiring this form to be printed on 8.5" x 14" paper will create additional expense for applicants and will require additional time spent in having the printing done or acquiring the supplies to do the printing at home.

Since the current Form 1 is already a multi-page document, the additional burden to the regulated public would be minimal if another page was added. If the current section entitled "Important Information for Currently Registered Firearms" was moved to an additional page of instructions, the 8.5" x 11" form should be able to accommodate the information consolidated into the Form 1. Even if this were not so, and using the letter-size paper meant adding an additional page to be submitted to NFA branch, this would still be superior to the alternative of not being able to easily print forms at home.

Thank you for considering my comments as you move forward with your revisions to this important document.

Sincerely,
XXX XXXX

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that they want to make it more difficult for DiY types, and want to steer them towards just going through a dealer.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 10:18:53 AM »
i'll say that the legal sized paper is an unnecessary burden.  i'll think it over for a few more days before sending it off.  i might say that i am in favor of changes, but more along the line of all digital submissions, leaving out the paper all together.