< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Off and running (ok...more like crawling) with my new Dillon XL650 Setup  (Read 4311 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Spent the last seven days cleaning out the basement so I can set up my man cave/reloading room.  I had already received all the press components except for the dies which were on backorder.  The dies finally arrived yesterday, just in time for me to finish my cleaning and set up the reloader. 

So I read the Dillon manual and watched some helpful videos online.  Two ruined cases (WAY too much flare) and four rounds which I get to use my new bullet puller on (bullet seated too deep), and four beautiful little 9mm rounds with 124gr round nose FMJ bullets...Yippie!

So a question to you experienced reloaders with a progressive Dillon press.  I noticed that as the shell plate auto-indexed and snapped into the next station, the powder would be flung out of the case making a right good mess.  I don't like mess, so I went online again to see fi this was a common problem and found this video...

Has anyone tried this, or have a reason NOT to try it?

Lastly, I'm considering an automatic bullet feeder and a Dillon powder check.  The powder check would take up my remaining free station on the head, so a bullet feeder would require the use of a bullet seat/crimp die set.  Anyone have experience with such a die?

Thanks,
Fly
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:20:40 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
Re: Off and running with my new Dillon XL650
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:45:51 AM »
Imo, a powder check is useless. You can achieve the same result by glancing in the case.

Offline tobydog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
Did the spring trim on my 550. Much better. Gotta agree with jonm about the powder check. Haven't tried a bullet feeder.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »
Imo, a powder check is useless. You can achieve the same result by glancing in the case.

I think "useless" may be a strong word unless you are stating that the system doesn't work or it attempts to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Otherwise, "redundant", "unnecessary", "overkill" might be more accurate.

If the powder check system works as intended, then why not have a back up? Your eyes may be the best powder check you have, but your eyes are attached to your brain which can easily be distracted. Especially if you are producing rounds at the rate of an auto indexing press with a bullet and case feeder.

Fly

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »
I think "useless" may be a strong word unless you are stating that the system doesn't work or it attempts to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Otherwise, "redundant", "unnecessary", "overkill" might be more accurate.

If the powder check system works as intended, then why not have a back up? Your eyes may be the best powder check you have, but your eyes are attached to your brain which can easily be distracted. Especially if you are producing rounds at the rate of an auto indexing press with a bullet and case feeder.

Fly

Glancing in the case is good.

Using a powder check die is good.

Doing both is good.

My first thousand or two rounds were loaded without a powder check die.  I was quite happy to add it to my LNL AP (granted, having spare die station to do so).  I personally like the double confirmation... especially if lighting goes weird or an angle just right, etc.

It's not like a single stage where you can dump 100 charges, then eyeball all of them.  It's one at a time assembly stuff... an extra check aint too bad.  An extra check to avoid a banana'd barrel is a good thing IMHO.

So I'd disagree with jonm's assertion the PC is useless :P
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 02:35:22 AM »
Unnecessory would have been a better choice of words.
If you are using a bullet and case feeder, you have nothing to do except pull handle and look into the cases. Unless you are using the lightest titegroup loads, a double will either spill or come very close to the top of the case. Not to mention the only way to get a double/no charge would have to be caused by something going wrong causing you to double stroke or manually rotate.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »
Since unfy forgot his little ritual chant,  I will do my feeble attempt: :D

"One of us"

"One of us"

"One of us"

"One of us"

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »

"One of us"

"One of us"

"One of us"

"One of us"

I feel like I have been assimilated.

Fly

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:09:03 AM »
I have a powder check die on my XL.  It came with the press.  I have no problems with it thus far.  I can see where it would add time to a caliber changeover but my XL is more or less dedicated to loading one caliber. 

As far as the flinging powder issue, I simply place a finger on the case(s) as they rotate into the stop.  I already have a bullet picked up and ready to place, so my fingers are there already.   
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »

"One of us"

"One of us"

"One of us"

"One of us"

Ah, I knew I was leaving something out but couldn't remember what.  Thank you :D

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
Ah, I knew I was leaving something out but couldn't remember what.  Thank you :D

My pleasure sir, us zombies need to stick together :laugh:

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Off and running (ok...more like crawling) with my new Dillon XL650 Setup
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 11:59:50 PM »
I thought I might post some of the things I have learned about reloading.  My experiences may help some other reloading newbs, and it might give the experienced reloaders a chuckle.

1) When opening a pack of primers, there is a right side up and a wrong side up to consider.

2) When 50 primers drop on the floor, they can cover quite a distance.

3) Learning how to read your analog caliper will help you avoid chasing an OAL you think is in the one-hundredths when you are actually reading one-thousandths.

4) Spare primer tubes from Dillon do not come with the stop pin installed.

5) Related to #4 above...Those stop pins in the bag with the spare primer tubes are not extra pins.

6) A fully loaded primer pick-up tube empties really fast without the stop pin installed.

I'm sure there will be more lessons learned, but this is a healthy start.

Fly

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 08:34:43 AM »
Fly.........

All Good Stuff to Know.   Great bonding experiences for all Dillon reloaders.

Now, just wait until you start reloading shotshells.

Little ball bearings all over the floor.   Everywhere.

Mixed in with the Red Dot.

And sprinkled liberally with 209 primers, of course.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »
I thought I might post some of the things I have learned about reloading.  My experiences may help some other reloading newbs, and it might give the experienced reloaders a chuckle.

1) When opening a pack of primers, there is a right side up and a wrong side up to consider.

2) When 50 primers drop on the floor, they can cover quite a distance.

3) Learning how to read your analog caliper will help you avoid chasing an OAL you think is in the one-hundredths when you are actually reading one-thousandths.

5) Related to #4 above...Those stop pins in the bag with the spare primer tubes are not extra pins.

6) A fully loaded primer pick-up tube empties really fast without the stop pin installed.

I'm sure there will be more lessons learned, but this is a healthy start.

Fly
1) Most definitely, you will learn quickly.

2) One primer can travel to place in the man cave you've never been :laugh:

3) Digital dude, go digital!

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
2) One primer can travel to place in the man cave you've never been

3) Digital dude, go digital!

Primer travel: just wow, yeah.  I dunno if other hobbies have this same kind of unique "problem/situation".

Calipers: I'm torn between digital and analog.  Digital are handy and easy.  Analog are just as good (albeit a tiny bit slower) but don't require any batteries ever.  If you've ever had batteries die in your calipers... this is a big deal heh.

Not entirely sure what you're referring to.

The Hornady LNL AP primer picker-upper tubey thingies are a tube with a plastic nipple on the end (sadly, not the find kind wimmen have).  The opposite end of the tube has hole drilled through it.  A simple cotter pin keeps primers from flowing out if ya tip it upside down (and the nipple on the other side is generally 1 way only).

The Hornady LNL AP's primer tube that sits on top of the primer shuttle carriage assembly on the press itself isn't really removable with primers still in it.  You'd just dump primers everywhere.  You could prolly remove the entire assembly without too much fuss, but that's not fun either.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
The opposite end of the tube has hole drilled through it.  A simple cotter pin keeps primers from flowing out if ya tip it upside down

That is exactly what I am talking about.  I bought a package of 4 extra primer pick-up tubes (only one came with the press) and they provide a pin, sort of like a cotter pin, that keeps the primers from coming out the two-way end until you them to.  BUT there is "Some assembly required". 

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 08:50:40 AM »
Fly.........

All Good Stuff to Know.   Great bonding experiences for all Dillon reloaders.

Now, just wait until you start reloading shotshells.

Little ball bearings all over the floor.   Everywhere.

Mixed in with the Red Dot.

And sprinkled liberally with 209 primers, of course.

sfg

60 grains of Black Powder will spread out to cover the floor of an entire room if you pour it through a 36" drop tube and forget to put the 45-70 case underneath first.  Not that I've ever done such a stupid thing.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
Not that I've ever done such a stupid thing.

It strains credulity that any of our Experienced Forum Members would actually engage in some of the fumbly things that have been discussed on this Forum.

But...as a Public Service For New Forum Members, posting of these Cautionary Tales has Merit.

We Care!

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »
Things are coming together.  I have loaded about 800 rounds.  At the peak (so far) I produced 199 rounds in 15 minutes verified by an actual timer.  That is 796/hour IF I had that many primer tubes.  I only had a few minor problems during that run.  For example, found some 380 cases that slowed me down a little. 

THEN I start another run and start crushing primers in the "Rotary Primer Disc" before they even get to the case.  After clearing the crushed primer, and the next one, and the next one, and the next one, I finally got one case primed and the primer was WAY high.  It would have been a likely candidate for a slam fire.  I called Dillon and told them about the crushed primers, but forgot to mention the high primer issue.  They suggested that I back off the primer "Seater Assembly", but intuitively, I knew that loosening it was the wrong direction to go.  Then it dawned on me that the nut being too loose would cause both my problems.  Tightened it back up....BAM! I'm back in business.  That was a wasted two hours of my life that I will never get back. 

I thought I might also give you all a view of my man cave. 

Fly
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:14:19 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 08:03:23 PM »
And here are some pics of my CraigsList convection oven (thanks for the suggestion wallace11bravo!) for making sure my brass is dry after it has its sonic bath.

BRASS...It's whats for dinner!

Fly
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:34:09 PM by OnTheFly »