< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AAR Precision Response Training - Shooting Skills (Fundamentals Analysis)  (Read 1073 times)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
Took this course this past Saturday.

Why I signed up, straight from the course description: “Most shooters really don't know how to analyze their own practice, and thus errors and non-optimal methods begin to creep in over time---and most people don’t notice. Or worse yet, couldn’t tell the difference if they had noticed. “

My main objective for attending was to get some feedback on how I was doing things and how I could get better, what I should be practicing and how.  Note I do practice and shoot often, so I was looking to enhance how I go about it.

Curriculum:

The instruction was very well prepared, I felt the order of drills was very well laid out as well. The day began with a few drills that allowed us to analyze how we were shooting, seems basic, just do what you normally do, instructor(s) asked some questions, offered some tips but this seemed like an analysis phase.  Then we began to break down each sequence of actually shooting, beginning with trigger control.  There was a lot of very focused shooting in this class and to a very good end. We broke down how were shooting, trigger pull, grip, presentation, reloads, each broken down into their simplest elements. By the end of the day we put them all back together, this is difficult if you have developed a few bad habits .

Instructors:

The instructor was top notch, really one those people that wants you to get better at shooting rather than relay a set of instructions. The how is always followed with a why in a very clear manner with demonstrable results. Class size was small, with plenty of personal instruction, time for questions and discussion of what we were doing. Training environment was safe with clear safety rules.

Overall:

This class far exceeded my expectations, and I had high expectations coming into it. Really well put together and I learned a lot about how I shoot and how I can get better. Instruction was very clear, not rushed or presented as doctrine but rather to be tested,  plenty of repetition to get it concepts down. I walked away with much better understanding of my shooting, what I need to work on to get better and how.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Well stated. I'm very satisfied as well. My only complaint is that these classes aren't available more often! Our group was great - I'd be down for taking a few more of these classes with the same group. or setting up a little training group to run drills with.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Well stated. I'm very satisfied as well. My only complaint is that these classes aren't available more often! Our group was great - I'd be down for taking a few more of these classes with the same group. or setting up a little training group to run drills with.

Glad folks got good stuff out of the class.  :)

A training group WOULD be a lot of fun.  The problem, of course, is finding a schedule that everyone could make. 

I DO keep thinking that a once-a-month half-day (that's a lot of hyphens, by the way) "seminar" on various topics to keep us awake and in practice would be a fun thing to do.  I just haven't had time to try to set up a schedule for folks!

I will note that Blacker Ops 2 seminar will be forthcoming soon here.  I'm going to John Wallace's Carbine Skillbuilder (partially based on my BlackOps pay-for-failure drills :) ) in a couple of weeks, so we'll see if my Ops 2 will be carbine/pistol based, or just pistol-based.  If John's stuff covers what I would have covered, I'll probably just stay on the pistol, and let John run the rifle.  (That way *I* get to play with the rifle, too!) 

If he runs different drills than I would have, I'll do both.  And then people can get rifle/carbine work from both him and I!
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com