< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Stainless Experience  (Read 1542 times)

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Stainless Experience
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »
I've been wanting to pick up a long gun for a bit and have been doing some reading on subject rifle and I haven't found any negatives. Anyone here know of any? For under $600 for the Stainless version I'm not sure why I'm hesitating.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Stainless Experience
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »
I've been wanting to pick up a long gun for a bit and have been doing some reading on subject rifle and I haven't found any negatives. Anyone here know of any? For under $600 for the Stainless version I'm not sure why I'm hesitating.
Its been some time since I looked at the Vanguard line of rifles. In the past they were manufactured for Weatherby by Howa in Japan. Howa makes a very good quality rifle. I have one in 22-250 that was sold under the Mossberg name. Its a great shooter and given me many years of good service. If indeed Howa is still the maker I would not hesitate to buy one at that price.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 08:26:03 AM »
Howa has been making firearms forever:
Specificially, for the Imperial Japanese Army and the post-war Japanese Defense Forces.    American gunsmiths quickly found that the incredibly strong Arisaka action could be broadly adapted to a wide range of wildcat cartridges.

Howa also made sporter rifles for Smith & Wesson, marketed under the S&W logo.   I had one in .223Rem which was pretty much as accurate as my Rem 788 [which was very accurate, indeed.]   Plus beautifully finished wood.   

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »
Howa is still building the Vanguard 2 for Weatherby. I've read up some more on it and so far most of it has been very positive. I appreciate you guys responses.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:29:36 AM »
When you do purchase, we expect a full range report, complete with pictures, of course.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane