< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Dakota Silencer now has FFL/SOT in NE  (Read 4373 times)

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
Dakota Silencer now has FFL/SOT in NE
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:38:43 AM »
This press release came up in my Google News feed today (I have a news alert set up for "silencer"; one of these days I am going to spin off silencernews.com from my law practice website):

http://www.mmdnewswire.com/silencer-dealer-dakota-silencer-130012.html

More Than 92% of Nebraska Gun Owners Believe that Firearm Silencers Are Illegal, According to a Survey Conducted by Silencer Dealer Dakota Silencer.

Well known Class 3 Dealer from Nebraska Dakota Silencer reports that over 90% of gun owners in the state have wrong perception about firearm silencers. Dakota Silencer specializes in manufacturing and selling sound suppressors (silencers) for firearms.

OMAHA, NE (MMD Newswire) July 31, 2013 -- Nebraska Class 3 dealer Dakota Silencer wants everyone in Nebraska to know that firearm noise suppressors, also known as silencers, are legal to own and use. According to a recent survey conducted by Dakota Silencer, more than 92% of Nebraska residents who own a firearm believe that silencers are illegal. Dakota Silencer currently has locations in both South Dakota and North Dakota. After recently receiving approval for their federal firearms license in Nebraska from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BAFTE), the company has announced the opening of their newest location in metro Omaha, Nebraska area.

Talking about people's conception about firearm silencers and how it affected their business, the owner of Dakota Silencer Brandon Maddox says, "The belief of most gun owners in Nebraska that silencers are illegal was a huge obstacle that we originally faced in South Dakota and North Dakota," He also added that "The fact is that Federal law has always allowed silencers, and it's legal to own silencers in 39 states. We see our expansion into Nebraska as an opportunity to educate Nebraskans about legality of silencers, how silencers will improve their shooting experience, and just how easy it is to own one."

"Nebraska is a larger market for us and we are excited about bringing our silencers directly to gun and silencer enthusiasts in that state, but we aren't stopping there. We have plans to open stores in all 39 states where silencers are legal. Our next step is expanding into Wyoming." Says Maddox.

Dakota Silencer is one of the largest Class 3 dealer of firearm silencers in the nation. "We've been selling silencers before silencers were cool," says Maddox. He and his team are passionate about silencers, and they have spent many years perfecting their product lines with state-of-the-art, military- grade sound meter testing equipment.

Over the years, this popular silencer dealer from Nebraska has streamlined the purchasing and paperwork process. After a customer selects their silencer on the website, they receive their BAFTE paperwork in the mail. Once the paperwork is returned and approved by the BAFTE, Dakota Silencer mails the customer their silencer.

About Dakota Silencer

Dakota Silencer offers the easiest way to buy silencers. Specializing in manufacturing and selling sound suppressors (silencers) for firearms, Dakota Silencer is one of the largest Class 3 firearms and silencer dealers in the nation. www.DakotaSilencer.com

Contact
Brandon L. Maddox
Dakota Silencer
brandon@dakotasilencer.com
888-781-8778

Corporate Headquarters:
6809 S Minnesota Avenue, Suite # 203
Sioux Falls, SD 57108-2569

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Dakota Silencer now has FFL/SOT in NE
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »
so they opened a store in Omaha?  where at?  and why Omaha?

they will mail the silencer to my mailbox.  they can do that?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »
so they opened a store in Omaha?  where at?  and why Omaha?

Yes; not sure; not sure.

I was told that they will principally be doing business at gun shows and via phone and Internet.

they will mail the silencer to my mailbox.  they can do that?

They can if you are an individual registrant in the same state. I'm not sure how they get around/satisfy the NICS requirement for the trust/corp. responsible person who is picking up an NFA item. I asked the proprietor about that, and he said that this issue caused a long delay with ATF on their FFL/SOT, but that they have a workable solution. He didn't tell me what that solution might be...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:50:00 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
Brandon L. Maddox

BTW, this guy is also the proprietor of FFL123: http://www.brandonmaddox.com/

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 01:24:58 PM »
thanks for educating me.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »
I contacted them to find out WHERE there location is. Response is that they have a premises in South Sioux City NE...... But sounds like everything is done over the phone, online, gun shows, et..... Sounds like they don't have a retail store

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »
I contacted them to find out WHERE there location is. Response is that they have a premises in South Sioux City NE......

Ahh. I was thrown off by the way that the presser characterized the location as being in "metro Omaha."

But sounds like everything is done over the phone, online, gun shows, et..... Sounds like they don't have a retail store

This lines up with what he told me.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 04:56:17 PM »
More Than 92% of Nebraska Gun Owners Believe that Firearm Silencers Are Illegal, According to a Survey Conducted by Silencer Dealer Dakota Silencer.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the range and been greeted with wide eyes by someone who thought it was illegal.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »
They can if you are an individual registrant in the same state. I'm not sure how they get around/satisfy the NICS requirement for the trust/corp. responsible person who is picking up an NFA item. I asked the proprietor about that, and he said that this issue caused a long delay with ATF on their FFL/SOT, but that they have a workable solution. He didn't tell me what that solution might be...

Okay, so it sounds like they might have gotten ATF variances on some things, perhaps including the LEO notice required when transferring a firearm from a licensee other than in an in-person meeting. (See http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478.124)

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 06:05:45 AM »
I looked at the list of all FFLs this information is available from BATFE's website online, as of May 2013 BMaddox Enterprises has two licensed locations listed one in Sioux Falls, SD and one in North Dakota the town does not matter.  June and July data of FFLs is not available on the BATFE's website yet, as it always runs a couple of months behind.  So in a couple months when that data appears if it is a new license issue, the licensed location will be public knowledge.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 02:00:07 AM »
Up through July BATFE has published a list of FFLs, as of July no FFL was listed for this company in Nebraska.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:35:50 PM by David Hineline »

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 01:38:17 AM »
Must be so his facebook page shows a set up at the Fremont, NE and Lincoln, NE gun show. I suspect he will be at Grand Island this weekend.  He and Rob can go head to head on telling stories.

BATFE still shows no FFLs listed for Dakota Silencer in NE or Wyoming, but there are addresses listed. The one in South Sioux City is in the Dakota PC warehouse building down the street from me, which is a surplus overrun computer supplier that got it's start when Gateway computers folded shop here.  The address listed in Gillette Wy is just a nice house in a residential neighborhood.  My day job is putting burdens on my gun shop life.  I highly reccomend Scott at American Reaper Arms and Rod Moeller in La Vista.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:41:00 AM by David Hineline »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »
Must be so his facebook page shows a set up at the Fremont, NE and Lincoln, NE gun show. I suspect he will be at Grand Island this weekend.  He and Rob can go head to head on telling stories.

BATFE still shows no FFLs listed for Dakota Silencer in NE or Wyoming, but there are addresses listed. The one in South Sioux City is in the Dakota PC warehouse building down the street from me, which is a surplus overrun computer supplier that got it's start when Gateway computers folded shop here.  The address listed in Gillette Wy is just a nice house in a residential neighborhood.  My day job is putting burdens on my gun shop life.  I highly reccomend Scott at American Reaper Arms and Rod Moeller in La Vista.

I've got transfers going with Scott, Rod, and Brandon, so I reckon I've got my bases covered. :)

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
It was weird finding this in my mailbox today

...but good weird. :)

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 11:17:05 PM »
There is 3 NFA SOTs in South Sioux City, NE and 3 in Sioux City, Iowa.  Kind of spreading the NFA peanut butter thin for this population base.  Brandon has a different customer base than most NFA dealers.