< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Carry at State or County Fairs?  (Read 3505 times)

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
Carry at State or County Fairs?
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »
I ran a search and found a thread about the state fair, but it was in 2009 before the fair moved to Grand Island.  Is the state fair still posted no carry in Grand Island?  Also, does anyone know if the Lancaster county fair is posted no carry?

Thanks.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
Re: Carry at State or County Fairs?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »
Don't see anything specifically listed here for it, unless of course the event is a "school event" (like nothing ever happens at schools or events where you might be attacked)...

69-2441. Permit Holder; Locations; Restrictions; Posting of Prohibition; Consumption of Alcohol;
Prohibited.
(1)(a) A permit holder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in Nebraska, Except Any:
? Police, Sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office
? Detention facility, prison, or jail
? Courtroom or building which contains a courtroom
? Polling place during a bona fide election
? Meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political
subdivision
? Meeting of the Legislature or a Committee of the Legislature
? Financial Institution
? Professional or semiprofessional athletic event
? Building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private,
denominational, or parochial school or private or public university, college, or community college.
? Place of worship
? Hospital, emergency room, or trauma center
? Political rally or fundraiser
? Establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over onehalf of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor
? Place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law
? A place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or
employer in control of the property has prohibited permit holders from carrying concealed handguns
into or onto the place or premises
? Into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law or rule or regulation.
A permit holder carrying a concealed handgun in a vehicle or on his or her person while riding in or
on a vehicle into or onto any parking area, which is open 1 to the public, used by any location listed
in subdivision (1)(a) of this section, does not violate this section if, prior to exiting the vehicle, the
handgun is locked inside the glove box, trunk, or other compartment of the vehicle, a storage box
securely attached to the vehicle, or, if the vehicle is a motorcycle, a hardened compartment securely
attached to the motorcycle. This subsection does not apply to any parking area used by such location
when the carrying of a concealed handgun into or onto such parking area is prohibited by federal law.

Nor is there anything stated on the state fair website.

Nor is there anything listed here: http://handgunlaw.us/documents/NECityLaws.pdf for Grand Island.

Anyone been to the fairgrounds lately to tell us?
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
Pretty sure last year they had a sign up with rules on it and no ccw was one of the rules listed but not 100% sure

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
Pretty sure last year they had a sign up with rules on it and no ccw was one of the rules listed but not 100% sure

I just called and talked to "Kelly" and she said that they do indeed prohibit concealed carry at the state fair. She had a little trouble finding any formal documentation of this policy, however. Developing...

UPDATE: She said that she would have someone call me back or email me with further information on their policy, why it was implemented, what statutory or regulatory language confers the authority to maintain such a policy, etc.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:48:19 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »

This has been the case for at least the past two years
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 05:38:06 PM »
I just called and talked to "Kelly" and she said that they do indeed prohibit concealed carry at the state fair. She had a little trouble finding any formal documentation of this policy, however. Developing...

UPDATE: She said that she would have someone call me back or email me with further information on their policy, why it was implemented, what statutory or regulatory language confers the authority to maintain such a policy, etc.

I'll make a prediction that they will say it is due to "insurance requirements" of some sort.

BTW: I saw no such signs at the Washington County Fair in Arlington earlier this week.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
Still must be "conspicuously" posted....regardless of what "Kelly" says over the phone. As an aside you're GTG at the Saunders Co Fair

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »
Still must be "conspicuously" posted....regardless of what "Kelly" says over the phone. As an aside you're GTG at the Saunders Co Fair

It was on the sign as you entered last year.  I believe it would qualify as conspicuous.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 07:01:40 AM »
It was on the sign as you entered last year.  I believe it would qualify as conspicuous.
Works for me and sounds by your post it would comply with statute....personally don't go and would not based upon that qualifier alone....

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »
I'll be interested to hear what the rep who gets back to the OP says... likely will be insurance related.  I'd like to see an actuary run the numbers on risk from CHP holders.  I always tell my CHP students that Nebraska is fairly common sense when it comes to gun laws... but we're not the greatest.  This is one of those examples.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 08:13:28 AM »
what about the Lancaster Super Fair?  i assume its anti-CC as well.  can anyone prove that?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
what about the Lancaster Super Fair?  i assume its anti-CC as well.  can anyone prove that?
  I would be surprised if it is as the Event Center (outside the gun shows) is NOT posted.

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »
I went to the Lancaster county "super" fair yesterday.  Tickets are collected while you are in your car before you enter the parking lot by folks standing in the driveway by a picnic/tent canopy thing.  I decided since there were no signs prohibiting ccw at the canopy, I should be good, since there could be a fairly strong argument made that it was the entrance since the tickets were collected there.  I saw no signs in any other parts of the fair--the buildings, midway, etc.

It bothers me that presumably publicly owned places can be posted, such as a public library or the state fair.  I am curious to hear the response to CitizenClark's question.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 02:36:04 PM »
I carried last week at the Sarpy County Fair.  There's no admission charge so the grounds are pretty much open.  I didn't see anything posted, but then again, I wasn't looking all that hard either.

Seems to me a place like the fair and it's environs is just the sort of place where one wants the means of self defense.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 06:40:06 PM »
I didn't see anything posted, but then again, I wasn't looking all that hard either.

Conspicuous signage should not require one to search for it.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
i went to the "super" fair.  i saw no signs anywhere.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline ojohnsten

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
The simplest answer is, if you are in any doubt, do not carry. 

Not carrying is always an option even if you have a CCW.  It may be prudent to exercise that option at times.  If the ability to carry at certain venues is what determines where you spend your life, then never go to a bank or post office.  If you allow the ability to carry or not carry to determine if you can frequent somewhere, then stay in your home and walk your dog around the block, and go back into your house. 

My point is that having a CCW should not prevent you from going anywhere you want.  If you can think clearly, then you should be able to assess whether a certain place is worth having a problem if you carry. 

If in doubt, don't.   
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:49:40 PM by ojohnsten »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 11:34:50 AM »
Dangit!That's a long walk back to the pick up!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 03:47:04 PM »
The simplest answer is, if you are in any doubt, do not carry. 

Not carrying is always an option even if you have a CCW.  It may be prudent to exercise that option at times.  If the ability to carry at certain venues is what determines where you spend your life, then never go to a bank [...]

Now that I can deposit checks with my phone, problem solved! :)