< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: .22 Rifle for youth.  (Read 1869 times)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
.22 Rifle for youth.
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »
I think I got it narrowed done to a Savage Rascal or a Marlin XT-22.

Marlin has the advantage of moving beyond single shot, which is nice but I think at that point we may be ready to move on beyond both a dedicated youth rifle and bolt guns.

Savage, single shot bolt gun, has rear peep sights. Truly a youth rifle could eventually shoot it off hand.

Any other suggestions for new young shooters. I think I will have shoot off bags for awhile.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:26:05 AM by camus »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: .22 Rifle for youth.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 03:38:37 AM »
I just recently picked up a Henry youth bolt action single shot.  I would not rule it out.A little research found it is the official rifle of the Youth Olympics.  Shoots great. If your in the Lincoln area you're welcome to try it on.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline PhantomXD

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:30:09 AM »
My son who is 5 loves his 17HMR savage an shoots good groups at 100 yards.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »
I think I got it narrowed done to a Savage Rascal or a Marlin XT-22.

Marlin has the advantage of moving beyond single shot, which is nice but I think at that point we may be ready to move on beyond both a dedicated youth rifle and bolt guns.

Savage, single shot bolt gun, has rear peep sights. Truly a youth rifle could eventually shoot it off hand.

Any other suggestions for new young shooters. I think I will have shoot off bags for awhile.

I have two single-shot bolt-action .22s: an old Remington Targetmaster and a new Savage Rascal.

I recently taught my 7 year old niece to shoot with the Rascal. I think that for youth training purposes it is a tremendous improvement over a full-size rifle. I don't have any experience with the Marlin that you mentioned, but I can vouch for the Rascal being a fine rifle for a kid. I would recommend some loc-tite for the aperture sight so it doesn't bail on your kiddo in the field, though.

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »
I recently taught my 7 year old niece to shoot with the Rascal. I think that for youth training purposes it is a tremendous improvement over a full-size rifle.

Very nice, I appreciate the response, that was the endorsement of the Rascal I needed.

Cheers.