< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My New 1911!  (Read 3219 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
My New 1911!
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »
Finally bought one, couldn't resist any longer! Hehe. It's a used Smith&Wesson 1911PD with Crimson Trace laser sight grips. They came with the gun. I got it from Guns Unlimited this weekend. It's light, 4.25" barrel, titanium receiver, and it feels great in my hands. Just like most 1911's, the trigger pull is smooth, short, and just all around amazing.

The only gripe I had with the whole thing is that the previous owner had allowed a lot of copper (or some other material, I'm not sure which) stay in the barrel for a long time and I had a helluva time getting it out. Even with foaming bore cleaner, mountains of Breakfree CLP, a brass .45 brush, and about 50 patches it was still there! Thankfully, when I shot it today, I immediately got home and cleaned it out and the shooting had apparently gotten out the small amount that I hadn't been able to!  ::) Hell, I won't complain though!

Obligatory Pics! The target was at around 10 yards... The lack of accuracy on some of the shots was entirely *MY* fault, not the gun's.... I have a long way to go as far as becoming a pistol marksman! I'll keep working on it though :P

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:40:41 AM by Krylancelo »

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: My New 1911!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:56:28 PM »
So, I can't get my pictures to work at all... What the heck.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »
Try it again...there was a setting on the forum preventing larger images that has been corrected
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:41:00 AM »
There we go, I resized them to make them a bit smaller. :D

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »
Have you tried to feed it any hollowpoints yet?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »
Not yet, that's next on the list. :)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »
I almost bought a Smith ....... (Gunsite edition!) when I bought my EMP....... went with the EMP because I did not have a 9 and .45 (even bullets to reload were getting pricey......  at the time,  both pistols were selling for about 1,000 bucks.  I understand the Smith has gone up.....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:29:46 PM »
I believe the S&W 1911PD guns are this aluminum alloy material not Titanium.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandium
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
Ah, well, I was lied to. That's alright though. :D You are correct though, it is called Scandium.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 10:11:36 PM »
I carried my 5" steel framed 1911 the other day...... I picked it up off the shelf in the safe to get something else, and it just felt good in my hand..... the heft of it was right, somehow.   So I parked the EMP and loaded up the hunkosteel.  It carried ok, but I certainly did not forget it was there, like with the Micro.

I prefer to shoot the .45 over the 9, but would rather carry the 9.........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »
I haven't found anything yet that feels as good in the hand (holding or shooting) as a 1911-style .45.  Mine is a Kimber Eclipse II Target (see below).  As someone else mentioned (probably on another page), it is also amazingly concealable given how thin it is and how close it lays to the body.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:27:09 PM by armed and humorous »
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
I haven't found anything yet that feels as good in the hand (holding or shooting) as a 1911-style .45.  Mine is a Kimber Eclipse II Target (see below).  As someone else mentioned (probably on another page), it is also amazingly concealable given how thin it is and how close it lays to the body.

Yeah, I just need to find a better concealed holster. I'm using a Black Hawk Serpa right now. It isn't bad but it definitely had a "noticeable" bulge whenever I carry without at least a jacket. I can't seem to find a good holster for me when it's hot out (summer) and I'm only wearing a shirt + shorts. Any thoughts, A+H?

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »
Damn man I am jealous, You must be made of money!!!
N0ZXR

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »
Damn man I am jealous, You must be made of money!!!

More like... A bad saver of money. :P Plus, I'm single. I live in a low cost apartment and I don't spend much money on other hobbies... XD

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »
Yeah, I just need to find a better concealed holster. I'm using a Black Hawk Serpa right now. It isn't bad but it definitely had a "noticeable" bulge whenever I carry without at least a jacket. I can't seem to find a good holster for me when it's hot out (summer) and I'm only wearing a shirt + shorts. Any thoughts, A+H?

Try a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II or Summer Special II.  I have a VM2 and love it, makes my Glock disappear.  Both are IWB, so buy pants and belt accordingly.
NRA Life Member.