< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: upland/small game hunting  (Read 4272 times)

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
upland/small game hunting
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:19:31 PM »
Anyone go upland game (small game) hunting?

Been having trouble here trying to track down some squirrels this year (I know they aren't the most hunted things, but I like them). Can find plenty in my backyard of course, but nothing when I actually go out to hunt them down at the WMAs and fields...nothing except traces of them, such as food remnants. Anyone know of some good areas?

I know, this probably won't get much answering as people won't want to give their areas away. But again, since squirrels are not the most popular game, doubt many go after them so maybe if seen while hunting other game.

Also, plan to go after other small game like rabbit and such starting next month when those seasons start.

Also, if anyone in the Omaha area does small game rifle hunting and wants to go together, that would be cool too.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: upland/small game hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »
I feel your pain, Whenever I have taken my kids out to WMAs we can't seem to find anything either. (Other than ticks).
Some friends keep telling me to come "perform pest removal" on their acreage (Rabbits are wreaking havoc on their gardens) "Hundreds of them" they say.  I may average a couple sightings and maybe a couple good shots and if lucky a confirmed kill. 
As for squirrels, they use to overrun this area of Lincoln, but seem to be really thin the last few years.  Maybe the drought has put a hurt on them?  I mean , jeez, we have one that comes knocking on our balcony door looking for food!   (Well that was until I stopped giving him Fritos and started buying the store brand corn chips- picky SOB! )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »
Yeah, like I said I know of places that would be perfectly safe to hunt squirrels and have seen squirrels there as I walk my dogs. The groves border the farm lands and such, not housing... but the problem is they are in the city and they won't let anyone do that.

Another place that would be safe for pellet gun would be out in the backyards of the people living on the Fontenelle forest border....there are hundreds there, just go around and ask the entire street for permission then go at it....but again the city even says no to pellet guns (completely stupid... my friends and I used to use pellet and BB guns on each other, go home with a few welts, heal up over the rest of the week, do it again...so much fun and great memories...and then the government and liberal idiots have to go and ruin things).
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »
Anyone go upland game (small game) hunting?

I was out at Yankee Hill WMA last weekend. I walked six miles and saw zero squirrels but lots of doves (something I was very glad to see; after last year's drought I only got one dove over the whole season).

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
my friends and I used to use pellet and BB guns on each other, go home with a few welts, heal up over the rest of the week, do it again...so much fun and great memories.

When I was in grade school my friends and I used to play the usual cowboys and Indians or Cops & Robbers.  It went something like this: "Bang, I shot you!"   "No you didn't, you missed, but Bang! I shot you!"  "No, you missed to!" and then the arguments would start.  We decided to switch to our Daisy BB rifles.  No arguing when you come around the corner of the house and see the robber and thow off a shot and he grabs it stomach and says "Ouch!"   Even if he didn't yell the welt told the tail.

It never dawned on our immature minds that one of us could have been hit in the eye and blinded.   Many  times later I shuttered when I thought about playing those games with air rifles.   Now, with higher powered pump or pneumatic pistols and rifles those games could be severely injuring or  even lethal.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »
GreyGeek, I think kids we just made tougher back then. ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:10:10 PM »
There are a lot of public areas in SE Nebraska, most of them small fields with a mix of CRP and Timber. Pick up a Public Access Atlas from Game and Parks, and start driving. Most of the people I've run into on those fields are looking for Pheasant, so they may pass over some that would be good for squirrel.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:18:42 PM »
Pick up a Public Access Atlas from Game and Parks, and start driving. Most of the people I've run into on those fields are looking for Pheasant, so they may pass over some that would be good for squirrel.

That's kind of what I have been doing, but so far completely empty handed. Though, come the end of September into October it should start getting easier to find them as food gets scarce and the foliage starts thinning.

For now, there are a few squirrels terrorizing my neighborhood, so I think I'll put some traps out and such.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: GreyGeek
It never dawned on our immature minds that one of us could have been hit in the eye and blinded.   Many  times later I shuttered when I thought about playing those games with air rifles.   Now, with higher powered pump or pneumatic pistols and rifles those games could be severely injuring or  even lethal.

Yes, what great, fun times... we need to get back to them.

Well, our "immature" minds (can we give children some credit here? They aren't fragile nor are they stupid, they can learn plenty easy and the best teacher is experience) came up with the rule, after we got hurt a few times that we didn't like, of no hitting in the head... we did that all by ourselves. And no, the BB and pellet guns are no more powerful today to what they were back then (we pumped them up pretty high and had CO2 cartridges as well). We would go home bruised and sometimes bleeding, but did our parents freak out as people do today? No, because it's not a big deal. They just said "oh, well, you did it to yourself" and left us to deal with the pain on our own as it should be.

But such is life, you get hurt you deal with it by healing up and either choosing to deal with it again or not do it again. No need for any law or anything. Think the hot stove concept. Go ahead and tell them it's hot and not to touch it, the kid will still touch and you should let them, because they will learn real quick not to do it again.

Quote from: NEBull
I think kids we just made tougher back then

Yes, people have become weaker and more pathetic now days...that is for sure. Cry and blame everyone else for what happens to them and for their choices...but never blaming themselves. Everyone has gone so overprotective ("baby/child proofing" crap, helmets, etc), thinking it's a good thing when all it does is damage by not allowing their kids to learn much need and necessary life lessons.

I still want to know where this crap about "children aren't supposed to work" came from...I had my first job when I was 8 years old as I am sure some others would attest to as well, if not younger.

But thus, we go off topic....so easy it is to do so... so this type of thing is for another discussion at another time.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »
That's kind of what I have been doing, but so far completely empty handed. Though, come the end of September into October it should start getting easier to find them as food gets scarce and the foliage starts thinning.

For now, there are a few squirrels terrorizing my neighborhood, so I think I'll put some traps out and such.

I don't know if you are interested in Lancaster County spots, but here is a spreadsheet that I put together of public hunting land around here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArLNNKBoiaQodGwwdlpOV3ZHdG9zODNkX1FfTXZlMGc&output=html

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »

Yeah, a lot of that CRP land and OFW land can be hit and miss, if you look at enough you'll find some gems. Takes time driving the roads and walking the fields.

...here is a spreadsheet that I put together of public hunting land around here...

Boy I'd love to see something similar that included those CRP/OFW fields!

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:54 PM »
Boy I'd love to see something similar that included those CRP/OFW fields!

That is actually one thing I have been looking for as there are plenty of farms not too far away....but there is no true way to find out which ones are part of the Open Fields/Waters Program. Be very useful to have that.

I don't know if you are interested in Lancaster County spots, but here is a spreadsheet that I put together of public hunting land around here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArLNNKBoiaQodGwwdlpOV3ZHdG9zODNkX1FfTXZlMGc&output=html

But thanks for the spreadsheet, I was actually thinking if I get a few days off in a row to go camp out in the woods and hunt which some of these places would do well.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
...but there is no true way to find out which ones are part of the Open Fields/Waters Program. Be very useful to have that....

Sure there is!

Game and Parks publishes an "Atlas" each year that has all of that land marked and color coded by program. It won't tell you how good the hunting is, but it will tell you what areas are opened up for walk-in hunting. I keep a copy in my truck, and reference it all the time.

I know you can pick a copy up at the G&P office, and I wouldn't be surprised if Scheels/Walmart had copies too.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
You may be able to find it a Canfield's.   I haven't gotten a copy in a couple years, and always went to Canfields to pick up G&P literature.  Not sure where else they may be.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »
Public Access Atlas Legend: http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/programs/CRP/maps/legend.pdf

Click on any map section to see Public access map of that area: http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/programs/CRP/atlas.asp

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
I lost the privilege to an area I used to deer hunt a few years ago that was loaded with squirrels. :(
Now last year my neighbor asked me to ease up on the coyotes because he was seeing such an increase in rabbits. I now need to take care of some rabbits to get that coyote hunt area back (nothing better than right out the back door is there?).
Anyhow I see this as a good time to spend with my son in the field and let him have a loaded rifle (it`s a little overdue, but I believe he is ready now).
It may be possible to invite you down here in a couple months but I will have to check everything is still a `go` with the neighbor/land owner.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »
if anyone wants or needs another hunter, i'll go.  fyi - i'll be quiet (suppressed) and you can have all the animals we get.  PM me if anyone around Lincoln is interested.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 08:02:44 PM »
I lost the privilege to an area I used to deer hunt a few years ago that was loaded with squirrels. :(
Now last year my neighbor asked me to ease up on the coyotes because he was seeing such an increase in rabbits. I now need to take care of some rabbits to get that coyote hunt area back (nothing better than right out the back door is there?).
Anyhow I see this as a good time to spend with my son in the field and let him have a loaded rifle (it`s a little overdue, but I believe he is ready now).
It may be possible to invite you down here in a couple months but I will have to check everything is still a `go` with the neighbor/land owner.

I like this idea.  What kind of range are we talking about?
KD0LKT

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 12:05:59 AM »
Sure there is!

Game and Parks publishes an "Atlas" each year that has all of that land marked and color coded by program. It won't tell you how good the hunting is, but it will tell you what areas are opened up for walk-in hunting. I keep a copy in my truck, and reference it all the time.

I know you can pick a copy up at the G&P office, and I wouldn't be surprised if Scheels/Walmart had copies too.

Well, I have looked at the atlas...but finding the exact area (and if need to get permission) is hard without longitude/latitude or an exact address...that is what I was meaning.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...