< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Multi Gun Divisions and Gear  (Read 983 times)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
Multi Gun Divisions and Gear
« on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »
I have been wanting to give multi  gun a shot for awhile now, biggest hang ups are lack of a shotgun and gear.  I have been meaning to stop by a match to check things out for months now, but figured I would be more motivated if I actually shot.

So a few questions,

Divisions, if I shoot my production sidearm, a semi-auto shotgun, and a rifle with an RDS, that puts me in limited correct?  I could go plain irons on the rifle or use a 1-4 if needed (I just don't have any time or zero with the 1-4 and don't think I will have much time to set it up in the next few weeks).

Gear

- Do you need to carry rifle mags? How many?

- Cheap way to carry shot shells?

I realize some of what I got would not be optimal competitively, but I would like to get out to match, check it out, see what others are using etc.

Shotgun should be interesting, I haven't shot one in 20 years, the one I will be using is a loner, so I will be spending some QT with it these next two weekends.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Multi Gun Divisions and Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:08:51 PM »
Divisions, if I shoot my production sidearm, a semi-auto shotgun, and a rifle with an RDS, that puts me in limited correct?  I could go plain irons on the rifle or use a 1-4 if needed (I just don't have any time or zero with the 1-4 and don't think I will have much time to set it up in the next few weeks).

If the RDS is a 1x (no magnification) then yes, that setup will put you in Limited division.  I note that you don't have to use a Production handgun---you can use anything up to a USPSA Limited pistol, and you'd still be fine.  (So if you use your Production handgun, like I do, you finally get to actually load it all the way up to capacity.)

Semi-auto shotgun is just fine---no more than 9 rounds in the shotgun at the start signal.

If you use the 1-4x, then that'll put you in Tactical division.  (In Tactical, you can have a magnified optic on your rifle.  That's pretty much me---production handgun, Mossberg 930 JM Pro semi-auto shotgun, and an AR with a 1-4x scope on it.)

I note that the next Multigun match is a full month off.

Gear

- Do you need to carry rifle mags? How many?
- Cheap way to carry shot shells?

Most people shoot one and carry an extra.  We like high round-count stages, so fairly frequently the stage will require more than 30 rounds for rifle.  (So some people get 45-round mags or 60-round mags).  Some of us tend to carry TWO extra, but I'm paranoid.  (If you don't have any mag pouches for AR mags, blade-tech makes some good solid competition ones.  Other people just stick the extra in their back pocket, which is completely legal.)

Cheap way to carry shot shells---run to Walmart and get one of the belt pouches that is made to hold an entire box of shells, put a box in, and cut the top of the box off.  Works decently well, to start with.

I realize some of what I got would not be optimal competitively, but I would like to get out to match, check it out, see what others are using etc.

As always, people will be more than happy to talk guns and gear, and show off their stuff.  (Matter of fact, the hard part is getting them to shut up.)  :)

Shotgun should be interesting, I haven't shot one in 20 years, the one I will be using is a loner, so I will be spending some QT with it these next two weekends.

I know the feeling.  When I started multigun, the ONLY shotgun experience I had was from the NE Department of Corrections in how to shoot people with buckshot using a Remington 870 with an 18-inch barrel.  I didn't even OWN a shotgun.

....so I bought a Rem 870 pumpgun with an 18-inch barrel, and started with that.  Worked just fine.  :)  (Definitely not optimal, but still perfectly good enough to play the game.)

You'll have a seriously good time.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »
I got the 60 day warning on this reply. I am anything but fast.  8)

Thanks for the detailed response jth.

One last question, on the shotgun loads, what loads are to be used? It seems like it is always announced that some loads are not allowed at the pistol matches.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »
You will always use nothing bigger than 7.5 shot for safety reasons since you'll be shooting steel.  Occasionally a stage will call for slugs, but as far as shot goes it's always 7.5 or smaller.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »
You will always use nothing bigger than 7.5 shot for safety reasons since you'll be shooting steel.  Occasionally a stage will call for slugs, but as far as shot goes it's always 7.5 or smaller.

Yep.  Easiest thing to do is run to WalMart and buy their cheap 100-count bulk packs---works perfectly well. 

Currently, if we are going to require slugs for any stage, we post that in advance.  That being said, it is ALWAYS a good idea to have 15-20 slugs in your range bag just in case.  Everyone will strongly suggest low-recoil slugs (which is a good idea) but it isn't necessary---plenty of us have used the cheap 1600 ft/sec ones just fine. 

(And went "ow" after shooting them from a prone position.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com