< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I am confused  (Read 1198 times)

Offline ojohnsten

• NFOA Full Member
I am confused
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
I thought Omaha had a local ordinance that made carrying open or concealed with state license, forbidden, no matter.  Think this info was offered in my CCW training class, as a matter of fact. 
With listings of Omaha businesses that are posted, that makes me think carry must be allowed like everywhere else, except in posted areas. 
Am I wrong?

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
Re: I am confused
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »
http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,9202.msg65110.html#msg65110

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=18-1703

18-1703. Ownership, possession, and transportation of concealed handguns; power of cities and villages; existing ordinance, permit, or regulation; null and void.
Cities and villages shall not have the power to regulate the ownership, possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun, as such ownership, possession, or transportation is authorized under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act, except as expressly provided by state law, and shall not have the power to require registration of a concealed handgun owned, possessed, or transported by a permitholder under the act. Any existing city or village ordinance, permit, or regulation regulating the ownership, possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun, as such ownership, possession, or transportation is authorized under the act, except as expressly provided under state law, and any existing city or village ordinance, permit, or regulation requiring the registration of a concealed handgun owned, possessed, or transported by a permitholder under the act, is declared to be null and void as against any permitholder possessing a valid permit under the act.

To open carry in Omaha you either need the $10 Omaha Open Carry Permit or your CHP (from Nebraska if you are a Nebraska resident or from any state that Nebraska recognizes reciprocity). There is no concealed carry in Omaha without your CHP, well not legally anyways.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 01:20:38 AM »
One of the NFOAs best fought battles. We actually had to call out Omaha on their not complying with the new law.  I'm  quite confident those days are over.  There's a new mayor in town and shes packin heat.
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline rempe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:37:52 PM »
One of the NFOAs best fought battles. We actually had to call out Omaha on their not complying with the new law.  I'm  quite confident those days are over.  There's a new mayor in town and shes packin heat

Where is the like button???? GREAT news for Omaha!!!
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American peoples liberty teeth....The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” ? George Washington