< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Panic coming to an end?  (Read 13011 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Panic coming to an end?
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »
A couple of weeks ago a friend was in a Walmart (Seward?) and said that there was a considerable amount of ammo on the shelves.  Just yesterday I stopped at Cabela's and found that they had a LOT of ammo and primers on the shelves.  Today I went to Scheel's and they had a good selection of ammo.

Could it be that we are slowly emerging from this national stupidity?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Panic coming to an end?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:04:34 PM »
Could it be that we are slowly emerging from this national stupidity?

Not until prices return to pre-panic levels.

OK---Now let's all hold our breath until it happens.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »
I just bought small pistol primers for pre-panic prices at Cabela's.  So I'm feeling pretty confident.

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 08:11:38 AM »
It's getting there.  .22 ammo is still nonexistent for the most part, and 9mm is hard to find.  Prices are still high compared to a year ago, but it's better than at the beginning of the year.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »
Signs of Spring????>>>>
I just bought small pistol primers for pre-panic prices at Cabela's.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:24:35 AM »
Signs of Spring????>>>>
sfg

There WAS a caveat though.  Cabela's was advertising CCI primers on sale online.  I called and they said they would match their own online price.  Otherwise, I would have paid shipping too.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »
.22 ammo is still nonexistent for the most part...

That's because the government is still snatching up all that .22  :laugh:

Fly

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
I have a feeling that the current prices will be the new reality, regardless of the quantities setting on the shelves.   Availability of Lead and its increase in price.  Ditto for Copper.   EPA and OSHA regs have already closed down most Lead smelting plants in the USA and import restrictions are raising the barrier to imports of foreign ammo.   The "Free" market can be hamstrung by a government bent on destroying the 2A or at least highly "regulating"  it.

The way things are going don't get caught spitting on the sidewalk.  It will be classified as a felony for the purposes of preventing CHPs.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »
It's getting there.  .22 ammo is still nonexistent for the most part......

Cabelas had a bunch of CCI/.22 on the floor a couple weeks ago and Scheels (LNK) has various .22 on the shelves  this last week.   Both stores still practicing sale limits so the hoarders don't take over.   

Speaking of hoarders.....check out  http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/nebraska/all/   and see just how much ammo is now suddenly for sale.  I hope the hoarders choke on all the stuff they are stuck with.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »
I think its coming to an end. Last week Scheels in Lincoln had just about everything except 9mm but both Walmarts had a small selection of 9mm. Reloading powders and bullets selection a bit limited. I wanted some 168g 308s and they didn't have anything close

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
Coming to an end? Anyone try to find .308 178 A-max lately?  :angry:
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »
I've noticed in the last week that every outfit (Cabelas, Bass Pro, Guns Unlimited, & Scheels) I've haunted has had primers in stock on the shelves.  Powder is a mixed bag, as are bullets.  22 ammo is still like hens teeth.  9mm is filling in with the high end self defense stuff. 
I hope the light in the tunnel isn't a train :laugh:

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 07:55:01 AM »
Speaking of hoarders.....check out  http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/nebraska/all/   and see just how much ammo is now suddenly for sale.  I hope the hoarders choke on all the stuff they are stuck with.

This step is actually really important to price stabilization. It means a couple things.

1: They are no longer buying up stock which means that manufacturers will quickly catch up with demand with a few ebbs and flows with people buying in bulk or the people that weren't willing to pay prices starting to replenish their depleted stock.
2: They are more likely to flood the market to compete with the manufacturers. Hopefully manufacturers keep up their ramped up production and the two sources of a market flood collide to drastically lower prices.

The reason you can't find those .308 vmax is because the manufacturers are still ramped up on FMJ...
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »
Why is .380 so freakin hard to find still?

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »
It is finally nice to see more than empty shelves.

Relatively new place in Waterloo NE had 500rd boxes of .22 for $57. Too high still but they were there.  I believe it's called Eastern NE Arms.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »
Workman:

Why is .380 so freakin hard to find still?

They probably run it on the same machines/manufacturing lines as 9mm.

sfg

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »
Workman:

They probably run it on the same machines/manufacturing lines as 9mm.

sfg

Ahh yes, good point.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »
Time to make a prediction.

IF stocks of ammo return to former availabilities it won't happen before the spring or summer of 2015.   Prices will never return to former levels, and may remain as much as 50% higher.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »
Time to make a prediction.

IF stocks of ammo return to former availabilities it won't happen before the spring or summer of 2015.   Prices will never return to former levels, and may remain as much as 50% higher.

Well aren't you just Mr. Negative!  This is supposed to be an upbeat happy thread.  You need to think more happy thoughts.   ;D

Fly

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
You need to think more happy thoughts.

That is the mantra of those who hide under desks and wait for their bullet.

....just sayin' ..... 'cause it is the Truth.

Ammo (and components to make same) is becoming available .... but I doubt you'll see a return to pre 2012 prices ....on ammo or anything else, for that matter: the Fed is inventing money faster now than ever before, so it stands to reason that the only way prices for everything are not skyrocketing is there is reduced demand for everything.

Were it a Free Market, it would correct itself.  It is not: I can not make ammo to sell to you, to meet the demand ..... unless I jump through a series of flaming Federal hoops first ......

Things will eventually correct themselves....... but it will be downright painfull when it happens.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.