< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Starting a new argument! Timers, Competition, and Cover...  (Read 3214 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Starting a new argument! Timers, Competition, and Cover...
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
John Wallace (of Midwest Tactical Solutions) has a training/commentary blog in which he periodically writes some posts discussing various aspects of training.

Since Shawn and I haven't gotten in any arguments lately :) I thought I'd comment on some of the things that John wrote...and after some reading, instead of just posting here on the forum I finally decided that the PRT blog should get started.  I'd been meaning to do it for quite some time, but never quite got around to it.

Reading John's posts gave me a number of ideas, and in particular I had to comment on his "Cover" post, so thanks to John the Precision Response Training blog is now a reality.

John recently wrote a series of articles with the common theme of "Things to Consider Before Chasing the Timer," discussing target choice, movement, use of cover, and target discrimination.  (There is one more topic forthcoming, too, on randomness.) 

While there is a lot of good stuff there, I occasionally have a difference of opinion on specifics, and other times agree but from a different perspective. 

So, I went and responded to his posting on "Cover," since he quoted me in it--and here's the post:  http://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/timers-competition-and-self-defense-part-i/

Thoughts?  Yes?  No?  I have no idea what I'm talking about? (I should not write a book every time I post?) Feel free to leave comments on the blog, too.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Starting a new argument! Timers, Competition, and Cover...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
If you ask the same question to 10 people, you might get 10 different answers. Those answers are what people believe to be true, whether they are correct or not.

I believe that all of you, Thomas, Shawn, John and David teach a certain type of class to reach out to a certain kind of customer. It all has merit in the grand scheme of things.

I have shot some USPSA matches, (not very good mind you ), sometimes there are some barriers, and sometimes not. But, to me, the whole idea is to engage the scoring zones as fast as possible, with movement and reloads. Cover is not part of the ideology of USPSA. The stress is created by the timer, and bulls eye accuracy is not required to score well.

Now, when the day comes that I partake in a Carbine Class, I would expect that cover and concealment would be a big part of it. 2 completely different aspects of training.

Like I said, I believe that any training done properly has merit. It is ultimately up to the trainee as to what is required to further their training and what they are trying to achieve with that training. They are different philosophies with different results.

Then again, ( my pet peeve ) I would like to see some of the MANY firearms owners get off their backsides and do something, anything. Training would be good. Lots of choices to get lots of different results. Swallow your pride and hide your inhibitions, everyone started sometime. I would rather see someone try a Steel Challenge or USPSA / IPDA and do poorly than do nothing. The results actually mean nothing except for what you make them to be.

These are just my opinions, not fact.  ;D

\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
Thomas, I think at a very high, conceptual level the questions you pose (quoted below) are legitimate. 

Do you normally use effective cover when you play baseball?  How about basketball?  Why would you then use or practice it in any other type of sport in which it has no value?  So why would you critically analyze someone’s actions in a sport in light of requirements that don’t exist in that sport?

However, as with most analogies, the concept begins to break down as you peel away the layers of the onion.  To be a top-notch competitor in any sport, one must practice, practice, practice.  Other things must suffer at the expense of one's pursuit of competitive perfection.  In the shooting sports, one develops competitive shooting habits that, being so similar to non-competitive shooting habits, can dilute or pollute one's ability to shoot defensively ... or hunt for that matter.

Dan and I were talking about trap and skeet shooting at the member meeting and the differences between these competitive shooting sports and hunting.  I mentioned how upland game bird hunting poorly prepared me for trap shooting and how trap shooting ended up ruining a lot of good meat.  Conversely, I seriously doubt that my pursuit of a professional baseball career (if I chose to do so) would pollute/dilute my shooting skills.  The muscle memory is significantly different and there is a low likelihood of muscle confusion.  I think this is where your premise breaks down and where competitive shooting can create "bad habits" for non-competitive shooting and vice versa.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »
One thing I'll note, Thomas is 100% correct about me seeing shooting as a combat act, to wit:

I really can't knock any off-the-street civilian for not being into the whole "practical/tactical" side of rifle/carbine shooting. If all you want to do with your AR is game or hunt, go for it. I cannot fault you, because:

You probably don't carry around your AR on a daily basis, and the chances of needing to defend oneself with deadly force are so miniscule to begin with, that the chances of your AR even being practically accessible in a more common civilian-self-defense situation is about like winning the lottery... without ever buying a ticket.

Although there is some cross over from competition and combat into self defense, if your true concern is being prepared for a mugging in a parking lot (or some other more common/practical SD scenario), I'd point you toward Thomas. That is what his training is focused on, and that is why I go to him for that training (when my schedule can work...).

True, there are a few incidents, within my lifetime, where having combat skills with an AR may have been useful for your off-the-street civilians. The LA riots, Hurricane Katrina, or if your rifle/carbine is part of your home defense plan (a whole other bucket of worms I don't care to knock over right now). If that is what you are oriented towards, or you are law enforcement, security, or military, then I have training a bit more focused for you. Or if you just find it fun to learn another perspective on tactics and shooting, come on out.

Another thing I'll note, and I tell officers this and they generally agree. Most LE officers that teach a patrol rifle course are predominantly teaching shooting and tactics that are adapted from pistol shooting and tactics for your everyday patrol officer, which are not that unlike civilian SD techniques.

My personal opinion, if you are LE (or security, or whatever), and something has happened that has caused you to take your AR out of the rack in your cruiser or armory or whatever, that event (in and of itself) has introduced, at the very least, a semi-permissive environment. Your mindset needs to change along with that environmental change. Trying to apply the same techniques/methods to a non-permissive or semi-permissive environment as you would to a permissive environment has been shown to not work well both on a micro and macro level. (ALOT more to this, but I don't care to write a book right now)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:51:28 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
Thomas, I think at a very high, conceptual level the questions you pose (quoted below) are legitimate. 

However, as with most analogies, the concept begins to break down as you peel away the layers of the onion.  To be a top-notch competitor in any sport, one must practice, practice, practice.  Other things must suffer at the expense of one's pursuit of competitive perfection.

Agreed.  If you practice certain things, you will (hopefully) become good at them.  And since other things are not being practiced, you won't become good at those.

Which makes you just as bad as anyone else who doesn't practice them, yes?  It doesn't make you worse at them than other people who don't practice.

In the shooting sports, one develops competitive shooting habits that, being so similar to non-competitive shooting habits, can dilute or pollute one's ability to shoot defensively ... or hunt for that matter.

I'm not really sure this is true.  Again--are we talking about people who practice competition shooting AND practice defensive shooting?  Or people who just practice competition shooting?

Because if it is just the latter, of course they aren't necessarily good at skills that only occur in defensive shooting.  Just like anyone else who hasn't practiced it.

Dan and I were talking about trap and skeet shooting at the member meeting and the differences between these competitive shooting sports and hunting.  I mentioned how upland game bird hunting poorly prepared me for trap shooting and how trap shooting ended up ruining a lot of good meat.

How did trap shooting ruin a lot of good meat?  (I understand how game bird hunting wouldn't prepare you for trap shooting---after all, they require similar but different skills.)  I am assuming that you are saying that you started as a hunter, tried trap shooting, practiced trap shooting, and that this somehow changed how you hunted.  Yes? 

What difference did it make?  And why?

Conversely, I seriously doubt that my pursuit of a professional baseball career (if I chose to do so) would pollute/dilute my shooting skills.  The muscle memory is significantly different and there is a low likelihood of muscle confusion.  I think this is where your premise breaks down and where competitive shooting can create "bad habits" for non-competitive shooting and vice versa.

My point is that for the most part, what we consider defensive skills are either 1) exactly the same as competition shooting skills, for example grip, stance, trigger control, accuracy, and speed, or 2) normally not practiced in competition shooting (such as use of cover). In the #2 case, people who don't learn them are of course bad at them.  People who DO learn them aren't having any other habits that get in the way.

Sure, in a competition I don't use cover, and have no problem sticking my pistol through a port if it will save me time.  And yet, I don't have any problem NOT doing that with a pistol when practicing situations that have defensive elements to them.  I don't have difficulty using skills appropriate to the situation, and it is incredibly easy to differentiate between a competition situation and a self-defense situation---therefore it is easy to operate in the correct mode, if you have practiced that mode and those skills.

A lot of people use the "do we think that NASCAR drivers are bad at highway driving" method of discussing this---which I think has a lot of validity.  Do we think that professional drivers are somehow worse at defensive driving due to their practice, practice, practice at competition?

I think that they have no issue telling the difference between situations, and thus no trouble using the appropriate skillset.  In a similar fashion, I don't really see why people who shoot competitions would have difficulty using the appropriate skill set when in fear for their lives--as long as they actually practiced that differing skillset.

Without that practice, of course, they would be just as bad as anyone else who didn't practice it---but could shoot fast and accurately.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »

Then again, ( my pet peeve ) I would like to see some of the MANY firearms owners get off their backsides and do something, anything. Training would be good. Lots of choices to get lots of different results. Swallow your pride and hide your inhibitions, everyone started sometime. I would rather see someone try a Steel Challenge or USPSA / IPDA and do poorly than do nothing. The results actually mean nothing except for what you make them to be.

These are just my opinions, not fact.  ;D

Very good point.  I know a lot of gun owners but not many shooters.  While true tactical/self defense training is obviously going to be best in a self defense scenario, a guy who goes out and shoots USPSA or IDPA once a month is going to be light years ahead of someone whose pistol sits in the safe 364 days a year.  Competition may not be the best training, but it's way better than NO training. 

Besides, competition is just plain FUN.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »
Competition may not be the best training, but it's way better than NO training. 

100% agree.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
One thing I'll note, Thomas is 100% correct about me seeing shooting as a combat act, to wit:

This is one of the things I liked about John's seminar, actually.  I wasn't in the military, so that particular mindset and the principles it therefore requires are different from both my experience set, and my knowledge set.  (I've read quite a bit about it, but my knowledge of those situations is completely theoretical.)  I'm planning on taking more of John's stuff, to expand my knowledge base. 

I really can't knock any off-the-street civilian for not being into the whole "practical/tactical" side of rifle/carbine shooting. If all you want to do with your AR is game or hunt, go for it. I cannot fault you, because:

You probably don't carry around your AR on a daily basis, and the chances of needing to defend oneself with deadly force are so miniscule to begin with, that the chances of your AR even being practically accessible in a more common civilian-self-defense situation is about like winning the lottery... without ever buying a ticket.

Nice.  :)

And agreed.  Some people plan on using a carbine for their in-home defense.  For me---that isn't the choice I make.  Nothing wrong with people choosing it, it just happens to not be for me for a number of reasons that may not be relevant for anyone else.

That being said, I DO have a set of choices that does include using a carbine for home defense--but it is in a case where a number of highly improbable things occur, which make its use a lot more streamlined.  However, in those cases it is a lot more like combat than self-defense.  Which leads to....

True, there are a few incidents, within my lifetime, where having combat skills with an AR may have been useful for your off-the-street civilians. The LA riots, Hurricane Katrina, or if your rifle/carbine is part of your home defense plan (a whole other bucket of worms I don't care to knock over right now). If that is what you are oriented towards, or you are law enforcement, security, or military, then I have training a bit more focused for you. Or if you just find it fun to learn another perspective on tactics and shooting, come on out.

Yep.  I'm still thinking that next year (when we get this figured out, schedule-wise) at least one seminar we give should be a combined skillbuilder where we work carbine/handgun home defense scenarios.  I obviously won't be teaching the carbine part.  :)

Another thing I'll note, and I tell officers this and they generally agree. Most LE officers that teach a patrol rifle course are predominantly teaching shooting and tactics that are adapted from pistol shooting and tactics for your everyday patrol officer, which are not that unlike civilian SD techniques.

My personal opinion, if you are LE (or security, or whatever), and something has happened that has caused you to take your AR out of the rack in your cruiser or armory or whatever, that event (in and of itself) has introduced, at the very least, a semi-permissive environment. Your mindset needs to change along with that environmental change. (ALOT more to this, but I don't care to write a book right now)

...I'll be interested to read it when you do.  I personally would agree that the change in weapon (from what is effectively a defensive weapon to an offensive weapon) effectively means that a significant change in effective rules of engagement (due to the situation) has occurred---which means that I would expect that the mindset really should go from "defense/LEO" to "combat/threat interdiction"---and thus that thinking of it in terms of "defense" similar to citizen self-defense is actually detrimental to LEO health, as they won't necessarily make the correct choices.

I may be wrong about that, of course. Hm.  I may need to think about that more.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »
I'm glad you brought up the NASCAR driver scenario as, much like the hunting/trap scenario, I also have personal experience with walking off of a race track and driving home.  I used to race auto cross.  Guess where the cops like to set up at the end of the day?  Yup, you guessed it ... just a few blocks away from the track.  Racers would leave the track at the end of the day all amped up from racing and carry forward those same habits onto the street.  Speeding tickets and reckless driving citations usually ensued.

Likewise, successful trap shooters are on the bird immediately after it appears.  They shoot it before it gets more than a few feet from the trap house.  Shooting a pheasant or a quail like that results in nothing more than red mist.  Yes, I grew up hunting game birds.  I tried trap, assuming it would help me warm up for the hunting season.  Bad assumption!  After my first competition, one of the old-timers took me aside and said, "You're a pheasant hunter, aren't you?"  I was less of a question and more of an accusation.  I said, "Yes, how did you know?"  He replied, "You're letting the birds get away.  That's fine when you don't want to fill a pheasant full of lead, but you need to get on these birds as soon as you see them."  I shot trap the rest of the season and then proceeded to blow the living daylights out of my first few pheasants and quail when hunting season opened.  My muscle memory was trained to get on them as soon as I saw them ... wing flap, shotgun mount, bang.  I didn't let them get far enough away.  Worthless meat if there was any left.

I was talking about people who practice only competition shooting - not those who practice both - but I think the basic premise of "do one thing if you want to do it well" holds.  Sure many of the basics are the same between competitive shooting and defensive shooting.  However, no one is exceptional at anything if they're only doing the basics.  It's the little things that separate the winner from the also-ran.  If I'm competing against someone who does nothing but practice competitive shooting and I spend part of my practice time shooting defensively ... is there anyone who would argue (talent being relatively the same) that the individual who practices their competitive discipline all the time won't be the better competitor?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
I'm glad you brought up the NASCAR driver scenario as, much like the hunting/trap scenario, I also have personal experience with walking off of a race track and driving home.  I used to race auto cross.  Guess where the cops like to set up at the end of the day?  Yup, you guessed it ... just a few blocks away from the track.  Racers would leave the track at the end of the day all amped up from racing and carry forward those same habits onto the street.  Speeding tickets and reckless driving citations usually ensued.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.  :) However---there is a significant difference between driving in a way that is against the law, and driving BADLY.  Being amped up (for any reason) makes you want to drive fast.  (Well, most people do, at least.)    After action movies (seriously, this is true) people tend to drive faster and more recklessly.  Similarly when listening to loud angry music.

Did it mean that they lost the ability to drive on city streets within the law?  No, they just didn't WANT to do so.    Different cognitive event here.

Likewise, successful trap shooters are on the bird immediately after it appears.  They shoot it before it gets more than a few feet from the trap house.  Shooting a pheasant or a quail like that results in nothing more than red mist.  Yes, I grew up hunting game birds.  I tried trap, assuming it would help me warm up for the hunting season.  Bad assumption!  After my first competition, one of the old-timers took me aside and said, "You're a pheasant hunter, aren't you?"  I was less of a question and more of an accusation.  I said, "Yes, how did you know?"  He replied, "You're letting the birds get away.  That's fine when you don't want to fill a pheasant full of lead, but you need to get on these birds as soon as you see them."  I shot trap the rest of the season and then proceeded to blow the living daylights out of my first few pheasants and quail when hunting season opened.  My muscle memory was trained to get on them as soon as I saw them ... wing flap, shotgun mount, bang.  I didn't let them get far enough away.  Worthless meat if there was any left.

That makes sense---which also answers my followup question, which was "did you practice the hunting skills also" to which the answer is apparently no.

I completely agree that if you only train a certain way, then that is how you are going to shoot.

I was talking about people who practice only competition shooting - not those who practice both - but I think the basic premise of "do one thing if you want to do it well" holds.

Yes, but---we don't limit ourselves to just one hobby.  Or one "thing" that we do.  Sure, if you want to be world-class at something, you need to devote all of your time to it.  But almost none of us are going to make that particular choice.  As such, I don't understand why there seems to be this assumption that shooters (of any type) can't practice more than one area of shooting.  People shoot rifle, shotgun, and pistol, right?  How is this significantly different from shooting two different aspects of pistolwork?

Sure many of the basics are the same between competitive shooting and defensive shooting.  However, no one is exceptional at anything if they're only doing the basics.  It's the little things that separate the winner from the also-ran.  If I'm competing against someone who does nothing but practice competitive shooting and I spend part of my practice time shooting defensively ... is there anyone who would argue (talent being relatively the same) that the individual who practices their competitive discipline all the time won't be the better competitor?

Depends on what part of "shooting defensively" you are talking about, really.  And how "exceptional" you need to be.  I shoot USPSA, and I'm classified as a Master.  For local matches, I suppose that makes me "exceptional" (though it certainly doesn't on a regional or national scale).  And yet, I don't have any problem practicing defensive skills, too.  As I'm currently the only Master-class shooter in the Production division with a home address in Nebraska, I'm thinking that means that other people may not be spending the practice time on competition that I am---and yet, I have time to practice my defensive skills, too.  (And that isn't my only hobby, by any means, so it isn't like my life revolves around shooting a pistol.)

So truthfully, unless someone is trying to be a national contender, I just don't see any sort of need for a pistol shooter to focus exclusively on competition shooting.  (Particularly since competition shooting hones direct shooting skills--which means that for citizen-type self-defense, there is only a fairly small set of self-defense skills that are needed for practice in addition in terms of pistol skills.)

I'm waiting for someone else to chime in with the "in a similar fashion, wouldn't the person who studied defensive shooting in addition to competition shooting be expected to do better than the competition-only shooter in a defensive situation?"

....and my answer to that would ALSO be "it depends."  If you research defensive gun uses (DGUs) you find that many of them, from the defender's perspective, required two things, and two things only:  1) get the gun out, and 2) shoot on target repeatedly.  If that was what was required, I'd expect things to be about the same, assuming similar skill levels.

Now, if it was against a gang armed with guns when taking cover and such was needed, then the defensive guy is going to have an edge.  Obviously.

However---I guess I still don't see why there seems to be this idea that "competition shooters" (who have not practiced defensive skills) should be considered as "bad at defensive shooting" as if they are somehow worse than anyone else who has not practiced defensive skills---particularly since in a large percentage of cases, 1) having a gun, 2) getting the gun out fast, and 3) getting shots on target fast is often all that is necessary from a technique point of view---and competition shooters do that all the time.

And many competition shooters ALSO practice defensive skills, which makes the contention even less sensible.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
Heheheheh.... Thomas you have just walked right into my carefully laid trap.  heheheheheh  I've been waiting for you to blog.  heheheheheheh 

Good thread.  Great thread.

I see nothing wrong with shooting competition.  STRESS INOCULATION!  It helps hone skills under stress.  It's a tool to help measure progress.

It doesn't however, develop and maintain skills such as one hand/weak hand malfunction clearing (from what I've seen anyway.)  I don't believe it instills the mindset, the situational awareness, the "stay in the fight" attitude, the willingness/ability to overcome the urge to freeze and internally scream, "OMG!  This isn't happening to me!"  and become a victim.

We all need to improve/practice our trigger manipulation, freestyle, SHO and WHO.  We all need to perfect our reloads.  We all need to improve our drawstroke (and subsequently, holstering back up WITHOUT looking and using our off hand to aid in holstering.)  Competition is of value here.  Competition and defensive shooting intersect in these areas. 

Personally, the one time I shot USPSA, I did it "tactically."  I didn't stand full value stupid in the middle of the doorway and blaze away.  I backed away from the door I had just opened.  I pie'ed the corners.  That was my choice.  I consider that kind of thing "practice."  Costs time and some competitor types I'm sure ridicule that approach.  (I see the phrase "Tactical Timmy" used on the 'net.) :) 

Cost me time but considering how slow I shot (and still shoot), it wasn't really a difference maker.

I am looking for improvement.  Winning would be great, but it's secondary to improving skills, in my world. 

Competition is great as long as you have a good time, no matter how you approach it AND do it safely.  But it's not true defensive training IMHO.  :) 

Any trigger time is better than no trigger time.

I'm not sure I'm conveying the message I'd like to here and I feel it's a might incoherent.  Maybe I can coalesce my thoughts later and express them better down the road.

PS Thanks to the training I've received over the years, I know it's prudent and entirely reasonable to instantly ramp all the way up to Condition Orange whenever I know I'm in the same zip code as Zebra.  It's okay to treat a threat as a threat.  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:34:09 PM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »
Heheheheh.... Thomas you have just walked right into my carefully laid trap.  heheheheheh  I've been waiting for you to blog.  heheheheheheh 
Uh-oh...

{snip}

It doesn't however, develop and maintain skills such as one hand/weak hand malfunction clearing (from what I've seen anyway.)  I don't believe it instills the mindset, the situational awareness, the "stay in the fight" attitude, the willingness/ability to overcome the urge to freeze and internally scream, "OMG!  This isn't happening to me!"  and become a victim.

Agreed.  As I said on the blog:
"This isn’t to say that I think that either combat skills or competition skills (or a combination thereof) actually cover the full range of specific skills most important to citizen self-defense—I don’t.  There is, however, overlap in both cases.  (In a later post I’ll talk about what self-defense skills are lacking in both the combat skillset and the competition skillset.)"

...thanks for giving me a starting point when I get around to that post.  Ha, you've fallen into MY trap!

Personally, the one time I shot USPSA, I did it "tactically."  I didn't stand full value stupid in the middle of the doorway and blaze away.  I backed away from the door I had just opened.  I pie'ed the corners.  That was my choice.  I consider that kind of thing "practice."  Costs time and some competitor types I'm sure ridicule that approach.  (I see the phrase "Tactical Timmy" used on the 'net.) :) 

Actually, the Tactical Timmy label is used for those folks who use phrases and terms like "big boy rules," "dynamic critical incident," and "contact!" but can't actually shoot worth a darn, yet still think that their terminology makes them experts on self-defense.  (They also tend to wear LOTS of tac gear, even when the class or circumstances don't require it at all.)

I can think of plenty of people who have lots of tactical knowledge that wouldn't be called "Timmys".  (Kyle Defoors, Frank Proctor, and Pat Mac, to name a few.)  But that is because they spend the time in practice to actually 1) shoot well, 2) make intelligent tactical choices based on reality, and 3) articulate the specific logical reasons why they make the choices they do.

This makes them significantly different than, for example, the HammerFour folks. 

Or these idiots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4RImcB4h9k#at=47

Or these guys:

(And that video, while someone ELSE turned it into a joke with the music, was originally a promo video for that shooting school---they actually thought that was a good advertisement for what they taught to citizens.)

I am looking for improvement.  Winning would be great, but it's secondary to improving skills, in my world. 

Agreed.  Like I said on the blog, though, (I replied to your comment!  So there!) I think you would be better served to practice defensive skills in a different venue, as you'll get a greater return on your time.  Competitions aren't practice---they are tests.  You can use them for practice---but you won't get very good practice out of them.  (No feedback, no analysis, no chance to get better, etc...)

Competition is great as long as you have a good time, no matter how you approach it AND do it safely.  But it's not true defensive training IMHO.  :) 

Agreed.  But since it isn't supposed to be, I think that's just fine.  :)

Any trigger time is better than no trigger time.

I'm not sure I'm conveying the message I'd like to here and I feel it's a might incoherent.  Maybe I can coalesce my thoughts later and express them better down the road.

It's okay.  We're here all week.  Be sure to tip your waitress!

PS Thanks to the training I've received over the years, I know it's prudent and entirely reasonable to instantly ramp all the way up to Condition Orange whenever I know I'm in the same zip code as Zebra.  It's okay to treat a threat as a threat. 

Orange?  I'm thinking Condition Terror, with a side of RUN!

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 10:15:12 PM »
I got Part V up now, which includes a conclusion of sorts. This one took me a while as I kinda started out going in all different directions. I whittled it down to something more manageable to hit up a few key points that really all stem back to situational awareness and decision making.

http://www.mwts-training.com/blog

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
I got Part V up now, which includes a conclusion of sorts.

Hey, wait!  I haven't commented on 1, 2, and 4 yet!  Let me catch up!

(No, I'm not going to comment on each one.  I will be blogging about part 1, though, because I have some range stories that I have to tell---in the hope that people will STOP DOING STUPID THINGS.)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »
...I'll be interested to read it when you do.  I personally would agree that the change in weapon (from what is effectively a defensive weapon to an offensive weapon) effectively means that a significant change in effective rules of engagement (due to the situation) has occurred---which means that I would expect that the mindset really should go from "defense/LEO" to "combat/threat interdiction"---and thus that thinking of it in terms of "defense" similar to citizen self-defense is actually detrimental to LEO health, as they won't necessarily make the correct choices.

I may be wrong about that, of course. Hm.  I may need to think about that more.

I'll probably have a blog post about it in the future, but it will probably end up being a long one.

I'm also currently working on turning my SUIT smartbook into more of an independent textbook (partially at the request of the 91st TD who I'm sure will copy/paste everything, put their insignia on it, and give precisely zero credit to me as they distribute it all over the place) That, and college, will eat up a decent amount of my writing energy for a few months.

One of the things covered in there is how to recognize different environment types and differences in posturing, movement, etc, at the individual and unit level, between them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:48:37 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 12:13:02 AM »
Hey, wait!  I haven't commented on 1, 2, and 4 yet!  Let me catch up!

(No, I'm not going to comment on each one.  I will be blogging about part 1, though, because I have some range stories that I have to tell---in the hope that people will STOP DOING STUPID THINGS.)
just try and stop me.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 06:38:07 AM »
This truly is a waste of time....watch Rob Pincus and you'll have all the basis covered..... (that's sarcasm for those of you in Rio Linda)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 09:39:05 AM »
This truly is a waste of time....watch Rob Pincus and you'll have all the basis covered..... (that's sarcasm for those of you in Rio Linda)

OH! MY! GOD!

...wait, what?  Sarcasm?  Oh.  I always do have a hard time recognizing that.

Pincus.  [sigh]  That guy.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 08:48:41 PM »
I used to race auto cross.  Guess where the cops like to set up at the end of the day?  Yup, you guessed it ... just a few blocks away from the track.

Aksarben?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 07:12:09 AM »
jt....I knew indirectly of your fondness for him, thus my poke at the hornet's nest.....

And I meant "bases" vice "basis".....Me kno reely how to spell betr than that...