< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Permit Issue and the Law  (Read 1145 times)

Offline aceflyer

• Lead Benefactor
Permit Issue and the Law
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »
Ok,

So I have an issue getting a permit in Nebraska that some may not have seen before.  I moved here from a state Nebraska recognizes and I had a valid permit there, which waives the 180 residency requirement.  I made application after changing residence fulfilling all requirements.  After about 55 days today, I called to check on it.  They stated my previous state issuing agency has yet to return their calls or email to verify my previous permit, despite the fact I presented them with a copy of it when I applied.  The justification for not issuing the permit yet (or denying it either as there is no reason for that), is because they consider it an incomplete application.  Nowhere in the law do I read NSP is required to verify the previous permit as a completion step.  Not that I disagree with that step, but I don't believe it can be justification for not issuing a permit within 45 days.  They are holding the application until they hear back.  It's not MY fault they aren't responding, nor do I believe the law allows NSP to withhold issuing the permit while waiting on this information.  The law clearly states they must issue the permit within 45 days, then if new information is discovered (such as an invalid permit from a previous state), then they can revoke it.

Anyone ever heard of this before??

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Permit Issue and the Law
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:09:08 AM »
Anyone ever heard of this before??

Actually, No.

It appears that you have a unique situation here, worse luck.

The Nebraska State Patrol has a website for inquiries:
https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/contactus.aspx

I've had good success with quick, authoritative responses to my CHP permit inquiries on that website.   As a suggestion, you may wish to copy your above information and post it on that website, pretty much as it is written.

They will probably say, "Can't help it.   Administrative rules and procedures".   You can then ask what specific information is needed from your previous state to move your app forward.   Assuming that they tell you, then you could focus on finding the appropriate agency in your previous state and working on them to send it to NSP.

Good luck.   Please keep us posted on the Forum.   Interesting situation.   If it weren't so Incredibly Frustrating.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:46:04 AM »
Please contact the Ombudsman's office with your issues. this is a bureaucratic issue and that is what they are there to help with.  There website: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/divisions/ombud.php

This is not going to get your permit out today but will make a point of pressuring the NSP to get things done at the same time as documenting that there is or was a problem.  It is hard to get things fixed when there is no documentation of a problem that demand action.

Offline aceflyer

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »
Well,

They called me back today and apparently they could now reach my previous state regarding the permit.  The Nebraska permit will be mailed tomorrow.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:22:58 PM »
Well Ace that is better than needing to fight for it.

Offline aceflyer

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »
That's for sure!  However, I was prepared to do so.  It's funny  how they couldn't reach the agency who issued my previous permit for 55 days, but magically could once I called and asked in less than a day.  I did mention in my first conversation with them that I was prepared to get an attorney should they not mail it in 5 days.  Perhaps they knew they would lose and didn't want a precedent?  Who knows....doesn't matter now.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »
Glad the bureaucrats finally decided to get off their rear ends and issue your permit.  This is the kind of bureaucratic bs that comes as a result of bearing arms being treated as a privilege instead of the right that it is. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.