< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I was at Cabela's tonight.....  (Read 5106 times)

Offline mizzly

• Forum Member
Re: I was at Cabela's tonight.....
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 12:55:21 PM »
Most ladies don't have the strength to properly pull the slide on auto hand guns.

Then there all the variables to remember with different guns (decocker, safety, etc..,)

The revolver is the simple to use, light weight & compact gun to put in the purse.

I got my wife one of these, The ported barrel helps with the kick.

The double action trigger is hard to shoot well, but at get away from me distances it sure beats a shoe.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168551973

Then I got her a Vanguard trigger cover to help her feel comfortable carrying it in her purse  or were ever.

& then the Barami hip grip.

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

http://hiddendefense.blogspot.com/2008/01/hip-gripmexican-carry-trigger-holster.html

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
Most ladies don't have the strength to properly pull the slide on auto hand guns.

Mizzly: I will respectfully disagree with this very sexist statement.  I am a female, and I shoot with several females, and all of us have the strength to pull the slide.  I shoot Springfield XD's, some of my friends shoot Glock 19s, 34s, etc.;  Please don't lump "all women" into this very inaccurate statement.

I was once in a Scheel's store looking for a handgun for myself and the salesman had the audacity to tell me that "all women should shoot .22's as they aren't strong enough for anything bigger."  I went to the manager and let them know that I will be taking my business elsewhere.  I shoot 9mm just fine, I even shoot .45 without problems.

Oh, and I carry a PF-9, it has a bit of a kick, but I can hit a man shaped target 7 of 7 shots at 10-15 feet without problems!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:57:52 PM by dcjulie »

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 02:13:54 PM »
My wife didn't really care for that statement either. She and my daughter are both small and can handle everything up to .44 mag without any problem, even DA.

Maybe that's why I'm no good at doing dishes and laundry, I'm just too strong.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 02:16:48 PM »

Most men don't properly pull the rack the slide, once shown how to properly operate the slide almost anyone can, my daugter could on my 1911 and any other semi auto I put in front of her a 10.  Now the recoil at 10 she was handling 22's and .380's without a problem, but she could not take the recoil of a .38 revolver.

http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 10:21:50 PM »
"Then there all the variables to remember with different guns (decocker, safety, etc..,)"

Too complicated with 3 to 5 (trigger, safety or safeties, maybe a hammer, and a slide release)?  Better not let her drive, as an automobile has FAR more confusing doodads to futz with ...... sheesh!

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline mizzly

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 02:21:08 AM »
  OK   I was not trying to stir up a hornets nest here.

The very beginning of this thread stated & I quote
  "I could not help thinking that there could not be a worse carry gun for an inexperienced shooter with wrists more like Olive Oyl than Popeye"

So I thought we were talking about the Olive Oyl crowd not the Popeye crowd.

dcjulie said  " Please don't lump "all women" into this very inaccurate statement"

Besides I said "Most ladies"  Not all ladies

If you went to the mall & grabbed the next 100 ladies through the door A lot of them would not be able to get the ammo from the mag to the pipe on a oh lets say a Walther PPK on the first try.  51 of 100 would would qualify as "MOST".  Perhaps I should have said "A LOT of ladies"

So I would like to apologies for saying most when I should have said a lot.

JimP said  "Too complicated with 3 to 5 (trigger, safety or safeties, maybe a hammer, and a slide release)?  Better not let her drive, as an automobile has FAR more confusing doodads to futz with ...... sheesh!

Once again this thread started with the comment about an "inexperienced shooter"

You all have taken this thread about revolvers not being a  good choice  for the lady's & turned it into a sexist thing.   You should be ashamed of your selves

I was just trying to put my 2 cents worth in & defend the revolver a little bit.

I got the revolver for my wife In the off chance if she would ever need it that she might not  forget the safety or something like that when every second counts.   She is not as into this whole gun thing as I am, so she doesn't practice as much as I would like her to.

With that said I have managed to get her to get her permit & carry more often than not.  & this is the set up that I put together That got her to carry.  So I feel like I'm winning in that regard

If any guys have wives or girlfriends that can NOT work a slide on an auto chime in here.

Or maybe I know the only 4 ladies in North east Nebraska who can not.

Anyway I don't think I am sexist at all  & I don't think revolvers are bad.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
My apologies for reading "all" instead of "most", however, I would still have to disagree.  I don't think I should be chastized, nor am I "ashamed of myself" for stating that women certainly can and do shoot semi-autos without difficulty.  Yes, a revolver is an easier firearm to shoot due to the simplicity of the gun, and I have one that I enjoy shooting.  I use that one as a carry gun if I have to carry in my purse.  I figure I can reach in, and shoot thru the purse without problems if need be and there is no slide to get caught on anything.

However, I rather carry a semi-auto on my person when I can.  With some practice, I can see any woman be able to shoot a semi-auto.  We even have junior shooters at our range that do just fine.  Some of those kids have "Olive Oyl" wrists.  The trick is technique, not always brawn.

I would also inform any female shooter who is intimidated by the semi-auto to look towards a Springfield XD or a Glock.  Neither have "variables" described above.  You put a round in the chamber, get a good grip (for the grip safety on the XD), point it at your target, and gently squeeze the trigger.  There are no other external safeties to mess with.  Having said that, I did start shooting with a gun with an external safety, it really wasn't an issue for me either.  Just another step to do prior to BANG!

I am not trying to fuel the fire, but I do get frustrated and upset when I hear men talking about generalizations of female shooters. I have encountered the situation too many times of the husband/boyfriend telling the wife/girlfriend that she is too weak, the gun has too many parts, etc for her to shoot the semi-autos or larger guns.  This does not instill confidence in the female. 

When I (and my husband) have female shooters who want to learn to shoot, we take a variety of guns and calibers with us to the range and have them try many different ones.  If she has never fired a gun before, we will start with a .22 so that she gets used to the thought of firing a gun prior to shooting anything larger.  (Incidentally, we do this with male shooters too).  Usually it only takes a magazine or two before she decides to try a "real gun" :).  We then have her grip several different models of 9's to see what fits her hand the best.  When she finds one that is comfortable, we tell her about the gun, give her a few rounds, and help her with her shooting.  I have yet to encounter a female that can not handle a 9mm semi-auto.  Even my friend's 11 year old petite daughter shot a 9mm Glock without problems.  I truly believe that it is all in the preparation, confidence, and education.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »
If Anybody Wants to Take a Look.......

They'll perhaps notice that Wimmen come in a Variety of SIZES.

From Itty Bitty Teeny Wimmen with [perhaps] Small Hands, to

Wimmen at the Other End of the Size Spectrum  [Check out WalMart Wimmen], perhaps w/LARGE Hands.

Now, it also happens that Semi-Automatic Pistols come in ALL SIZES.

From Itty Bitty Teeny Taurus PT-22s loaded w/Stingers, to

Ruger .380 LCPs [Little Cute Pistols], to

Rohrbaugh 9mm, all the way up through

The Whole Range of Glocks, CZs, XDs, etc., etc., to

Big Boomer Desert Eagles, Casulls, etc.

So it's reasonable that CCW Wimmen are not restricted to One-Size J-Frame wheelguns.

And Watch Out when they reach into their purses!!!!   [Shoot Thru the Purse!!   That one goes into my CCW classes.]

You Go, DC Julie!!!

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
thanks.

I figure if there is a reason for me to NEED to shoot someone, there is NOTHING in my purse worth my life - as that could be at risk if I need an extra 10-30 seconds to get the gun out of the holster in my purse.  I would clarify, however, that I have a carry purse, not just a purse that the gun hangs out in.  There are some great carry purses with a separate compartment that holds ONLY the gun.  There is a holster attached inside this compartment.  This provides coverage for the trigger guard, and also you know which direction the gun is pointing as long as you put it in there the same way each time and carry the purse the same way, each time.  Will it be fast? ... NOPE, but I'd rather be slow than dead. :)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 11:40:03 AM »
I just purchased a Walther PK-380 with the intent of getting my wife interested in shooting, and maybe go so far as to get her CCW.  She has shot my guns before and is pretty good, but absolutely did not like my S&W 686.  She is not a small woman, but it was a bit much for the beginner. 

I got the Walther because it is not so small it disappears in my hands like many .380?s, and it?s just about the right size for her.  And .380 while not a monster ?rip the meat off the bones? caliber like the .45ACP, it has respectable stopping power for many occasions.  Put a nice JHP in it and after 7 rounds most criminals will stop struggling. 
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline kruiz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 01:04:28 AM »

My wife has no problems shooting My Taurus PT 1911. I realize you said most, but non the less, she's a rather slight lady that shoots exceedingly well for a novice and had no trouble with the slide with only moderate practice :)