< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I was at Cabela's tonight.....  (Read 5107 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
I was at Cabela's tonight.....
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:29:22 PM »
..... at the handgun display case.  There were a couple of ladies looking at J-frame air weight .357s the salseslady was showing them..... I could not help thinking that there could not be a worse carry gun for an inexperienced shooter with wrists more like Olive Oyl than Popeye.  I ran into them a few minutes later in an aisle and said I had seen them looking at carry guns and there were a couple of websites that might help them make a choice.  I mentioned ccwne, NFOA, and Cornered Cat., telling them that there were knoledgable people, including some instructors at theose sites.  They thanked me, saying they did not know much about guns, other than they "wanted to get one before they could not buy one."  They wrote down the sites ..... I hope they come by and learn something.

On the way home I was thinking:  What would it take to get Cabela's, or other gun dealers to let customers know about these sites?

They cost nothing, and contain a wealth of information.  What would be the downside?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:34:57 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: I was at Cabela's tonight.....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:27:24 AM »
What is a good carry gun for the inexperienced?
The .357 Magnum is way to much for the new shooter no matter what the frame.
The J-Frame style revolver in .38 Special is probably the most sold and easiest to operate and clean.

I own a Taurus CIA in .38 Special +P and the new Ruger LCR in .38 Special +P.
But I started shooting with a .22Lr Rifle.

It all comes back to the need of proper experienced training.

Below link from
by Massad Ayoob
Handguns that sell to women
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_3_49/ai_114786628/

Wheelguns Are Self-Defense Sales Winners For Women
by Massad Ayoob
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_9_46/ai_79007779/?tag=rel.res4
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:37:06 AM by Randy »
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:48:52 AM »
While they may be popular with SALESMEN because they sell well....... a .357 that weighs less than a double whopper with cheese is not going to be fun or easy to shoot.  If the owner does not shoot it, they won't become proficient with it. Of what use is it if they can't use it proficiently?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:31:06 AM »
My wife carries one of the Taurus .357 lightweight's, she can't handle firing .357's through it but .38's for practice and .38+P's for selfdefense work great out of it.  And on the occation that I carry it because of it's small size I can handle .357's out of it.  These are not bad defence guns and offer a lot of flexibility in what ammo you shoot, as your abilities improve so can your ammo choices.  But I would recomend getting some formal training and trying out some different guns before making a purchase, there is no "one size fits all" or even most in handguns.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:11:58 PM »
I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that the airweight, or even more so, the airlite .357 (like I have), are no fun to shoot with the  magnum loads.  I got one for the sole reason that it was about as small and light as you can get and still take down an attacker if need be.  I practice using .38 specials, but even those aren't exactly fun.  The point of this gun is that it's not for fun, it's for self-defense in a do-or-die situation.  I can handle the kick for five rounds if my life depends on it.  Sure, there are better guns for stopping power and accuracy.  But, few if any have the concealability.  And, in most self-defense situations, accuracy is the least of your worries.  I will agree, though, that anyone with a weak grip or wrist better choose something else or be deadly accurate with their first shot.  Otherwise, the gun is likely to be on the ground behind them somewhere when it comes time for a second shot.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »
If you really want to see a gun that kicks, try the S&W 500 with a 4, or 2 inch barrel.  I'll shoot my airlite any day compared to that.  I actually think shooting the 500 contributed to the need for my wrist surgery a while back.  That was my left wrist, and I'm right handed!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:19:09 AM by armed and humorous »
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »
The issue here is that Cabelas is a retail store.  Their gun salesmen are there to sell things. 

I've worked in retail sales before.  I learned very quickly not to argue with the customer and to sell them what they ask for, especially if it's something you have in stock.  Yes, this can cause more harm than good, but explaining to your manager that the customer walked out because they wanted a 642 and you said that a 686 would be a better choice is not going to win you any points.

FWIW, a 642 or 638 J-frame with standard pressure .38 Special loads is not unbearable to shoot.  It's not ideal for a beginner, but they're not "break your wrist ZOMG that hurts!" type of guns.

I think the best thing manufacturers and retailers could do is provide the URL for the NRA training website.  Retailers could/should provide a list of local instructors too.  They don't have to give a speech, just put it in the bag or box along with the receipt.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 09:40:31 PM »
Snubbies are nice n' small and easy to conceal BUT they are probably THE most difficult handgun to shoot accurately.  How many people actually practice shooting a lot of DA shooting at more than arm's length distances?

Get a Glock 19. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:01:19 AM »
As a footnote to my earlier comments about my airlite .357, I wan't necessarily recommending it as a good, concealable, self-defense gun.  I bought mine without researching it much, and I don't know that I would do it again now that I know what it is like to shoot.  No doubt, my accuracy with it is the worst of any gun I shoot.  Still, like I said, in most self-defense situations (probably less than seven yards), I could still hit my target (unless maybe it was a fast-moving, ferocious chihuahua).  I generally only carry it now when dressed such that concealing anything else would be difficult.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
Snubbies are nice n' small and easy to conceal BUT they are probably THE most difficult handgun to shoot accurately.  How many people actually practice shooting a lot of DA shooting at more than arm's length distances?

Get a Glock 19. 

If I need my snubbie at more than an arms length, I probably don't need to shoot, my Taurus will put three rounds touching at 7 yards double action, first thing to do is get decent springs in them to clean up the action...

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 02:37:37 AM »
Yay for Glock 19's. That is my primary carry gun.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »
I had some serious reservations about glocks back in the day. Seemed they were the gun they show every time you see a news story about a gang shooting in Omaha. As a fairly "redneck" guy my first handgun was a ruger p95dc. I love it. But when I was looking at getting into IPSC. (still need to get up there to shoot a competition but work and classes seem to deny that at every turn.) I actually bought a Glock 17. I really like it. It is now my primary sidearm. Mostly just for the fact that the trigger pull never changes.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 11:17:29 PM »

Mostly just for the fact that the trigger pull never changes.

Don't shoot a 1911...... you'll have to buy one.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 02:54:01 AM »
I have shot several..... And have a Cz-52 which for those of you that don't know is an old CZ pistol designed in... wait for it..... 1952. Single action, Single stack. Almost as easy to clean as a glock, and the absolutely most awesome muzzle flash you will ever see. Shoots the 7.62x25 tokarev which is sometimes a pain to find (and also pretty pricey). But sweet gun.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »
I think a Glock 9mm (Whether full size or compact) or a Springfield XD 9mm is a great first pistol.

I went with a .45 because I love 1911's too much... I'm a fan boy, what can I say...

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »
I have a Springfield XD 40 and I love the thing.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline GunFun

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 11:44:56 PM »
I shot my cousin's 9mm Glock that was his police issue sidearm in Las Vegas years ago... it was very accurate for a pistol and I loved the feel of it.

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 11:46:32 PM »
If the owner does not shoot it, they won't become proficient with it. Of what use is it if they can't use it proficiently?

Dry practice, grasshopper, dry practice.  Then, you can visit the range to simply verify your practice without spending a fortune on ammo!  This leads to sight picture/point shooting practice, trigger control practice and accuracy increases all while NOT instilling the flinch factor in new shooters while saving them money!
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 08:23:56 AM »
If the owner does not shoot it, they won't become proficient with it. Of what use is it if they can't use it proficiently?

Dry practice, grasshopper, dry practice.  Then, you can visit the range to simply verify your practice without spending a fortune on ammo!  This leads to sight picture/point shooting practice, trigger control practice and accuracy increases all while NOT instilling the flinch factor in new shooters while saving them money!

It would take one hell of lot of dryfire practice to condition Olive Oyl's wrists to the kind of recoil she's going to get out of an Airweight .357 ..... I'm going to go out an a limb and make the bold statement that even if a very determined Ms. Oyl superglued a pair of Airweights to her palms and went around clickclickclickclickclickclick18hoursaday6daysaweek,  carpal tunnel will set in long before she can effectively handle that gun (put 2 rounds DA COM at 7 yards in 2 seconds)  .... dry fire is great, but it does not help a whole lot as far as dealing w/ recoil.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:45:09 AM by JimP »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 08:27:25 AM »
... unless maybe you don't care about the gun much and have a buddy smack the muzzle with a 3 pound ball peen hammer every time time the gun goes "click"  ;) .
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:37:03 AM by JimP »