< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ruger .380 LCP  (Read 6211 times)

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
Ruger .380 LCP
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »
Has anyone else bought one of these or have any experience with one?  I bought one from Cabela's a few months ago.  I was so impressed with the small size and weight, I didn't even think about the fact that it was double action only.  I could have lived with that, though, had the gun been worthwhile in other respects.  I took it to the range and fired a few rounds at 7 yards.  Now, I don't claim to be Sheriff Deadeye when it comes to shooting a handgun, but it looked like I was shooting blindfolded.  I changed to another brand of ammo without any improvement.  Then, I went back to the first box and half way through a magazine, the damn thing broke.  Pulling the trigger did nothing more than make a little clicking sound.  I took it back the next day, but I was still stuck with nearly two boxes of .380 auto ammo.  I did finally sell that to some guy who was desparate to find some when you couldn't find any in the stores.  (I probably should have charged more!)

I have seen a few others at the range, including one with a laser sight added.  I was just wondering if mine was a total fluke, or if the thing is really a piece of junk.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Ruger .380 LCP
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »
ccwne has a long thread about the trials and tribulations of broken LCPs and adventure in customer service......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »
Actually, lots of threads.  Here's one.

http://ccwnebraska.yuku.com/topic/2311?page=1
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline George

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
I have one and have shot about 50 rounds thru it....sent it back for the recall....got it back within a week.  Have had no problems at all.  Shoots good and acurate (6 shots in 6" circle @ 7 yds) keep in mind that it is not  a long range gun (7 to 10 yards max).  A close range self defense gun......
Endowment Life NRA member

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »
I've had pretty good luck with mine.  I bought it right before the recall.  I put a few boxes of FMJ through it with no malfunctions, but did have one FTFeed with a certain brand of HP's(can't remember which).  I let them know about it when I sent it in for the recall, no problems ever since. I have around 250 rounds through it so far.

I can usually put 6 shots in a softball sized group at about 7 yards, good enough for me.  I hope I never have to use it(or any other gun) for self-defense, but I'm at the point that I would trust it if I needed it.

My only complaint with it at this point is that the bottom tip of the trigger pinches my finger as it moves forward after each shot.

Great info at this LCP forum:  http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline George

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
I have the same problem with the finger...I have learned to just use the pad of my trigger finger when shooting it.  I have very large fingers and atribute the finger pinch to that (milked too many cows) The gun works very good for summer carry because of the size. 
Endowment Life NRA member

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:05:10 PM »
I just went out today and shot my S&W 340 (airlite .357) using 38 sp ammo and my trigger finger was getting pinched, too.  I was shooting one handed, something I apparently hadn't done before with this gun.  I found out that by using the middle part of my finger (between the knuckles) rather than the tip part, the problem went away.  I think the pinch was actually occurring when the trigger returned and pinched some flesh between the end of the trigger and the trigger guard.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »
I just went out today and shot my S&W 340 (airlite .357) using 38 sp ammo and my trigger finger was getting pinched, too.  I was shooting one handed, something I apparently hadn't done before with this gun.  I found out that by using the middle part of my finger (between the knuckles) rather than the tip part, the problem went away.  I think the pinch was actually occurring when the trigger returned and pinched some flesh between the end of the trigger and the trigger guard.

That's exactly what my LCP does to me, doesn't happen with any of my other pistols.  I guess I just need to practice with it more using the different finger positions.  Might be hard to remember in a stressful situation, but then again, I won't be too worried about a pinched finger at that point.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 08:16:32 AM »
I shot a friend's LCP at the range.  Kicked like a mule.

And that trigger...  Yeesh.  One friend had a stock Ruger 10/22 with him.  The trigger on that felt like 10 pound single-stage.  I pulled and pulled and checked the safety twice to make sure I didn't leave it on.  The LCP, OTOH, felt like 10-pound two-stage, with a travel distance roughly equal to the Oregon Trail. 

I can see the value of the LCP, but I'm not in any rush to buy one.  For me, I'd probably only use it when in formal attire, which is maybe 1-2 times per year.

I've already decided I'd carry it with ball ammo due to the poor penetration and feeding problems some JHPs have.
NRA Life Member.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 01:40:21 PM »
What little I was able to shoot my LCP before it broke gave me pretty much the same experience, Rich.  The trigger pull on my S&W 340 seems awfully long, too, though not as heavy.  I'm just not used to shooting DA only, I guess.  I did improve some yesterday compared to previous attempts.  Practice, practice, practice.  Anyone seen the Kahr version of a .380?  Not sure of the model right now, but it looked pretty nice on line.  Not quite as small as the LCP but still very concealable I'm sure.  I might buy one if I find one anywhere.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »
If anyone is interested, Scheel's has the LCP in stock now ($325 I think).  Looks like they might have a laser sight that fits on it, too, but not sure of the price.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 08:27:01 AM »
If anyone is interested, Scheel's has the LCP in stock now ($325 I think).  Looks like they might have a laser sight that fits on it, too, but not sure of the price.

I saw they had two of them on Saturday.  They had some Micro Eagles in the case too.
NRA Life Member.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 09:13:54 AM »
The Micro Eagles looked kind of nice, not quite as thin as the LCP.  Didn't get one out of the case to look at since I've pretty much decided against any more DA only.

Offline wwhuskerman

• Former Nebraskans
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »
I musta got a good one... so far anyway. Have had it at the Bullet Hole several times, put probably a total of around 200 rounds through it without a single problem. Sure, it's trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but if I actually have to use the gun for it's intended purpose (hope not)... I think I can get by with it.

Basically, I've stopped practicing with it because I can't find any ammo, except for the expensive-as-heck Personal Defense rounds. I'd picked up 5 boxes of the Blazer "target" rounds when I bought the gun... shoulda got more.

I picked it up at Scheel's in Lincoln about two months ago for around $329. Of course, NOW... they have a little "extra's" package they sell with it for about $30 more. Would have liked to gotten that. Just buying an extra mag (it only came with one) was around $25-30, if I recall correctly.

Frankly, it's just so dang easy to conceal carry that I carry a lot more now that I used to.

Offline quixnet

• NFOA Full Member
    • Apex Critical Defense
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 11:42:21 AM »
Has anyone else bought one of these or have any experience with one?  I bought one from Cabela's a few months ago.  I was so impressed with the small size and weight, I didn't even think about the fact that it was double action only.  I could have lived with that, though, had the gun been worthwhile in other respects.  I took it to the range and fired a few rounds at 7 yards.  Now, I don't claim to be Sheriff Deadeye when it comes to shooting a handgun, but it looked like I was shooting blindfolded.  I changed to another brand of ammo without any improvement.  Then, I went back to the first box and half way through a magazine, the damn thing broke.

I have one of the first LCP's (#1119) and one of the owners on the ccwnebraska.yuku.com pissing & moaning about this pistol. Yah, I might as well have been shooting blindfolded. I remember my nephew jokingly saying

"ok we better run":-)

There isn't a lot left of the original. It made four trips back to Ruger. The mag and slide lock are now metal. It has a new barrel and trigger assembly etc. The new barrel arrived with very sharp ramp edges bit that has sence been corrected.

It shoots accurately and reliably now. I carry it all the time as a backup and depending on what I'm wearing, it may be the only firearm I have on me. It cycles Winchester's flat nose or ball target/range rounds fine. I keep Hornedy Critical Defense 90gr (FTX bullet) rounds in it. The spare mag looks like a lighter in my pocket...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:47:34 AM by quixnet »

Offline marksz71

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
I have a Ruger LCP and I think it is a great gun, for...its intended purpose; a close range self defense or back up gun.  It shoots accurate, and functions great.  I would say that those of you with troubles, should simply send theirs back to Ruger for work; they will take care of you.  

I am also an FFL holder with a small in home Firearms business, "Marchelle Arms" in Papillion, which I own and operate in addition to being active duty Air Force.  I have sold many of these pistols with no complaints, and one gentleman bought 2 more after the first one.  I have two in stock right now, as well as, extra mags, mag finger extension, and holsters for the LCP.  I keep a few firearms in stock...for example; I have a Ruger LCR, Bersa Thunder 380 CC, a couple Sccy 9mm CPX-1, a Maverick 88 defensive 12 ga, and a couple others.  If I can help anyone with finding a firearm, or with transfers please feel free to ask.  I charge 10% over cost for firearms ordered from various distributors or manufacturers.

This is a great forum, and I'll be spending some time here.  Great work!  Mark
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:23:09 PM by marksz71 »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 12:22:58 PM »
Marchelle...........

The Ruger LCP [Little Cute Pistol] mounted with a Crimson Trace LG-431 laser sight is an excellent CCW combination.  The interface between LCP and 431 is snug and seamless.   The natural nice lines of the LCP are preserved or even enhanced, using the laser.   And the whole combo feels totally good in the hand.   Especially since the factory sights of the LCP are kinda minimal and basic.   [Can be kinda difficult to find a strong side carry holster for the combo, but....not really needed if you have pockets somewhere.]

You might consider pointing out this LCP/laser combination to your clients.   Or even adding an LG-431 set or two to your own inventory.

I've no axe to grind here, except that the first LCP I picked up at the Council Bluffs gun show was CT laser mounted.

Totally nifty.   And sweet.  Created an instantaneous, burning "Want It" reaction.  Vowed to come back to Omaha and buy the combo in Nebraska to avoid the interstate shipment hassle.

However---Ran across the Kahr PM9 for CCW at the Bullet Hole and bought it instead.  Added the CT LG-437 laser.

Great combo.  Especially for us in the Fraternity of Fuzzy Focus, in which I am now a Full Member.

But the Ruger LCP is a Most Excellent CCW Device.   Adds a Certain Significance to the act of keeping One Hand in the Pocket at All Times.

Wiley Clapp has an article about .380 carry pieces in the February 2010 American Rifleman.   Compares nine different .380s.   Among which, the LCP is--of course--a prominent member.  [And the new Kahr P380.]

Some of the earlier LCPs had some malfunctions and glitches.   It appears that these issues are being worked out by Ruger and LCP functional reliability is improving, which is a pretty big deal in CCW devices.

Also, .380 ammo is now showing back up on the shelves.   Bullet Hole has some.   Cabelas (briefly).   Haven't yet seen any at WallyWorld.

Best of success to you and your LCP marketings.

SemperFiGuy  

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:44:13 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 11:02:04 PM »
Old thread, but what the heck as I'm here....

My LCP has been flawless.  I've only used 90gr Gold Dots and that's fine with me.  I trust it and it goes in my pocked with me everywhere, usually as a back up to an ugly ol' glock.  Weekly wipe down, monthly or maybe every other month ammo rotation.   I've heard horror stories, but I'm either lucky or only those with the occasional problem take time to post, kinda like "bad news travels fast..." 
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
I'll play.  Has anyone tried Buffalo Bore's .380 ammo?  Supposed to be closer to 9mm than .380 and stays within pressure limits.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »
I purchased one of the very first. Wouldn't do anything correctly.  I called Ruger. they sent a UPS label, paid the in freight charge, did whatever to the firearm, paid the UPS on return, sent me a LCP cap, an extra magazine, and a $25.00 gift certificate, and the pistol hasn't hicupped since.  Given what it is expected to do, it does now & I'm totally happy.  It will fire and feed any kind of ammo even reloads. :D
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right