< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ar question  (Read 5032 times)

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
Re: ar question
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »
you guys and PSA are going to get me in trouble with the lady of the house here with these build ideas and PSA's awesome sales that they are having! Bought a stripped lower blem for $59 + $7 shipping and $15 to my FFL. Then they had their Magpul LPK and CTR Stock assembly in FDE for sale for $119 + $7 shipping...

Now you post that they have stripped upper blems for $40... SMH, these are almost too good to pass up... almost! This will be my first build as well and I'm going to try to stretch out my purchases as best I can for when I get "freed" up cash.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »
The weaponry is the cheap part - wait til you start emptying 30 rd mags at the range, even if you reload ...

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 12:36:49 AM »
September/November before the election/panic I bought my first AR (A Sig M400 with the A3, railed gas block, aftermarket quad rail and 2500 rounds of .223/5.56 :) :) :) :) BEST. DECISION. EVER.

even at those clearance prices a 30rd mag dump was still like: $10, $10, $10, $10... oh crap!

Now I am wanting to build one like the OP.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
Abbafandr,

So with all these great sales going on at PSA, have you finally taken the leap into the world of EBRs?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »
Do a little research and build your own, IMO...once you realize all the things that you will want to change from most factory completes you will only be saving $$$by not paying for components you will replace anyway  - a few examples include trigger, forearm/handguard, flash hider, stock, sights or optics, etc and that's just the beginning..  It is surprisingly simple to build and requires few special tools ....just built my first with quality components and even bought the tools I needed (roll pin punch set, upper receiver vise block, stock wrench and a couple others) and all said and done total, I'm in less than $800 with the exact rifle I wanted.  Most of the tools you need are inexpensive or can be borrowed from auto zone or maybe even benevolent guys here or your own buddies. 

Check out ar15.com for lots of helpful tutorials, etc...I really enjoyed building my own and - for me, anyway. - I feel better knowing where all my components came from...

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 02:08:45 AM »
P.s., PSA is also selling a lower parts kit/buffer tube/spring/buffer/stock kit PLUS a full auto profile bolt carrier group (critical component) for$179.00 + $7 shipping - the bolt carrier group is $144.99 alone! Just bought one, see link in good deals II thread...

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 08:16:10 AM »
Abbafandr,

So with all these great sales going on at PSA, have you finally taken the leap into the world of EBRs?

Fly

Sadly, no.  I had to take a leap into the world of new furnaces since the heat exchanger on my old one went to heat exchanger heaven and started to fill the house with carbon monoxide.  But the detector warned us before anything bad happened. ;D  The tab for the new pretty one kind clipped my discretionary funds temporarily. :(

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »

Sadly, no.  I had to take a leap into the world of new furnaces since the heat exchanger on my old one went to heat exchanger heaven and started to fill the house with carbon monoxide.  But the detector warned us before anything bad happened. ;D  The tab for the new pretty one kind clipped my discretionary funds temporarily. :(

This winter is not supposed to be THAT bad.  Heat is optional.  Guns are a MUST.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum