< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ar question  (Read 5031 times)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
ar question
« on: October 17, 2013, 08:31:11 AM »
I'm thinking of venturing into AR land.  Any thoughts on a decent starter weapon or would I be better building my own.  My only preconceived notions are a right handed gun and 5.56 for ammo.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
Re: ar question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »
Colt 6920.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
What are you wanting to do with it? Home defense, target, varmints, just to listen to it go "bang"?  Do you want to make it tacticool (hang all kinds of crap on it)? All those could affect recommendations.

Actually, your timing is good as they are getting to be plentiful and no longer outrageously priced.

A lot of it is ford vs chevy. I'm not aware of any really bad ones out there. Some are really good but cost a lot more.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »
It really varies. Like waltherfan said, if you have a specific idea of how you want it to look, build one. A lot of people I know who "buy then modify" always grump a bit on how they spent so much money. I have yet to spend over 1k on an 5.56 platform, and a lot of times it's less then $750.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »
Palmetto State Armory.  They are pretty much always the best price for an affordable but still good quality AR.  You can buy a complete build kit from them with an assembled upper, stock, lower parts kit, etc (everything except the lower receiver) and have it shipped right to your door.  The lower takes maybe an hour to assemble if you really take your time.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »
If you have to ask the question should I build my own, or should I reload ammunition. Then the answer is no, no you shouldn't build your own.

Once you are familiar with the subject enough that you don't have to ask that question, then yes, you should do it yourself.

Rock River Arms rifles are the best value in my opinion.

Cheapest does not always mean best value.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »
if you want to build...keep an eye out for PSA sales.  they will have an entire build kit (everything minus the receiver) for sale.  in fact, the MOE is on sale now.  buy that, ship it to your house.  then go find a $99 lower.  DE had Spike's lowers for $99 last time i checked.

or just buy a complete AR and upgrade as you see fit.

in the end, do what you think is best for you and what will fit your needs/wants.  but building is fun.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »
You can buy a complete left handed upper half with BCG from Stag Arms if that is what you want.
The biggest thing people mess up when building a lower is when they are tapping the forward pin in for the trigger guard they don't support the lower lobe properly and end up busting it off. make sure you only use a pin in the front of the trigger guard not the rear. There are plenty of really good youtube videos on how to assemble a lower.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
Thanks for the input

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:47:19 PM »
You know when you get an AR built you have to start shooting Multigun, right?

Multigun is even more fun than USPSA.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 10:53:35 PM »
+1 for Palmetto State Armory

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 06:31:29 AM »
Palmetto State Armory.  They are pretty much always the best price for an affordable but still good quality AR.  You can buy a complete build kit from them with an assembled upper, stock, lower parts kit, etc (everything except the lower receiver) and have it shipped right to your door.  The lower takes maybe an hour to assemble if you really take your time.
I still have a rec on hand I haven't built yet. Noticed this post and thought I would take a look and see if anything has changed with availability but have not found much. PSA is "temporarily out of stock" on just about everything except the most expensive items and not many of those. Seems things at least in the do it yourself category are still hard to come by off the shelf. No big deal as I am in no rush and have plenty of other projects to chase after.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 07:41:45 AM »
I still have a rec on hand I haven't built yet. Noticed this post and thought I would take a look and see if anything has changed with availability but have not found much. PSA is "temporarily out of stock" on just about everything except the most expensive items and not many of those. Seems things at least in the do it yourself category are still hard to come by off the shelf. No big deal as I am in no rush and have plenty of other projects to chase after.

Keep an eye on their website, the availability of many items(especially complete uppers) change from day to day and sometimes hour to hour.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »

You know when you get an AR built you have to start shooting Multigun, right?

Multigun is even more fun than USPSA.

Man, I knew there was a catch :o  Then for a decent shotgun :P

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »
Joe Bob Outfitters usually has things in stock and if you are former military or LEO you get a 5% discount. Use discount code THANKYOU at checkout.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »
Keep an eye on their website, the availability of many items(especially complete uppers) change from day to day and sometimes hour to hour.

I also watch slickguns.com... lots of PSA stuff posted when it comes available on there, along with many other sites.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline RightWingGunNut

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »
I'm thinking of venturing into AR land.  Any thoughts on a decent starter weapon or would I be better building my own.  My only preconceived notions are a right handed gun and 5.56 for ammo.

Colt is regarded by many as the gold standard of AR's and they do make excellent ones if you want a top tier gun for about $1,100. Some Wal-Marts even sell them now.

If you want a solid mid tier AR look at Armalite. If you look around you can find many in the $8-900 range and they come with a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service.

Avoid Doublestar, Olympic Arms and Delton like the plauge. Far too many QC issues and they cut far too many corners. Sadly, Bushmaster also seems to have really fallen in quality since they moved production to New York from Maine.
"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” - Aldo Gucci

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 12:53:12 AM »
A good starting point would be to buy one of the Palmetto State Armory blemished lowers + LPK.  They are on sale right now for $99 with free shipping.  You would just have to pay the transfer fee to a local FFL.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-safe-fire-lower-moe-black-lower-parts-kit.html

You have until the end of today (October 30th) to make a decision.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »
A good starting point would be to buy one of the Palmetto State Armory blemished lowers + LPK.  They are on sale right now for $99 with free shipping.  You would just have to pay the transfer fee to a local FFL.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-safe-fire-lower-moe-black-lower-parts-kit.html

You have until the end of today (October 30th) to make a decision.  ;D

Fly

Wow that, is a great deal.

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »
PSA is moving warehouses, and they are having some really killer deals lately.  Keep a close eye on the sales.  They have stripped blem uppers for $40 right now. 

Just one of many deals/sales.