< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 1763 times)

Offline BT1288

• Forum Member
A couple of questions
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
I just received my CHP, (took 32 days to receive). :)

If I'm in a car as a passenger or a driver, that gets pulled over and I'm not carrying, do I have to let the Officer know that I'm a CHP holder, but not carrying?

As a passenger, the Officer doesn't usually make contact with the passenger. Unless the driver has done something extreme or is wanted for something, the passenger is usually ignored.

Another thing I thought was kind of weird is, when you take the class for concealed carry, you don't have your permit yet, but you have to draw from concealed at the range, which is technically illegal.

Offline stroked93

• NFOA Full Member
Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »
I would if carrying but not if unarmed unless I was asked to identify myself.   

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »
If you aren't carrying you don't have to show or even mention your CHP.
If you are a passenger it would be advisable to inform the LEO. It's still a gray area as he/she may not address you individually but it could still be considered official contact.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »
I would if carrying but not if unarmed unless I was asked to identify myself.   

My thoughts as well
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:32:37 PM »
Even if unarmed I would notify if they ask for ID. When they run your DL, they will see you have a CHP and may assume you are armed and forgot to tell them.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 07:25:07 AM »
I just received my CHP, (took 32 days to receive). :)

Another thing I thought was kind of weird is, when you take the class for concealed carry, you don't have your permit yet, but you have to draw from concealed at the range, which is technically illegal.

Couple of good questions...I just received mine as well with approximately the same wait time. Its funny how that works, I waited way too long to go take the class & then a one month wait to receive it felt like forever.... I think I'm gonna go ahead & announce that I am carrying if I'm in a car that is stopped. I dont want to risk "having not immediately informed them".

& in the chp class that I took, we were required to wear a strongside outside the waistband holster, so no concealed. The other place I called before choosing which one to take also listed an owb as required.
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:45:31 AM »
Why in the world would you notify them if you are unarmed? That makes no sense what so ever. It would be like giving your D.L. over to them in the event you were not driving. You guys are giving to much authority over when none is needed or warranted.
To accuse a man for the sake of drama is a cowardly timid man's work (Rick)

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 08:46:42 AM »

It's required by the State Patrol, so it would never be a problem as a part of an official class.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:14:47 AM »
Even if unarmed I would notify if they ask for ID. When they run your DL, they will see you have a CHP and may assume you are armed and forgot to tell them.

Roger That.

Also, my thinking (not necessarily anyone else's) is that when the automobile is pulled over, everyone in the auto is under official contact from the LEO.   And not just the driver.   The auto and all its human and other inanimate contents are being detained.   And therefore under official contact.

So--if anyone asks me (which they haven't), I'd say to have the driver notify the LEO immediately that a LEGAL handgun is in the auto.

Yeah.....I know all the arguments against, yada yada.   But...my recommendation is for full disclosure of the handgun from the GetGo. 

Doesn't appear to be any case law on this situation yet.   Never a good idea to be the first up.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer