< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: "long range" 22LR shooting  (Read 973 times)

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
"long range" 22LR shooting
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »
Since I have been lucky enough to actually have 22 ammo and continue to find it in stock at a decent price I have been shooting my 22 a lot more and the other toys a lot less.

because of restrictions where I shoot (size/shape of property) i can't shoot past 150 yards.
With my 22 I really enjoy taking shots at this range.
I have a friend with property were we can shoot out to 300 yards, when we go there I will be taking my 338 and I think my 22.

What can I expect for target shooting at that range with a 22? Does the 22 keep enough velocity to be able to consistantly make hits at that range? Anyone with experience shooting at long range with a 22?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: "long range" 22LR shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:26:16 PM »
Furthest I've shot with a .22 is 300 yards.  I was able to consistently keep it on a steel gong that was maybe 3' x 3'.  That was with a Stevens Favorite w/tang sight, though.  I'm sure a modern .22 with a scope could do better. 

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: "long range" 22LR shooting
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:33:16 PM »
I shoot a lot out to 200 yds. in the .22 Silhouette side matches held at the Alliance Rifle Club every spring during the Long Range BPCR Buffalo rifle shoots. The game is shot with both open sights and scopes. The shooter is allowed to use crossed sticks as a support from the sitting position. The silhouettes are steel swingers (chicken, pig, turkey, ram) at 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards. They are the same size as used in standard .22 silhouette matches shot at half these distances. In my opinion the wind and mirage with either scope or irons separates the men from the boys. The drop and wind drift at 200 yards is very hard to read and adjust for. Past that and it only gets worse. Some very good scores are shot so its not the rifles or rounds but the conditions that make long range .22 a challenge. I shoot a Winchester low wall single shot with 30" full octagon barrel and long range tang sights. The gun does its job when I can do mine. Interestingly enough the scope class scores are no better than  the ones shot with iron sights. Like I stated before the real test is being able to read the conditions and adjust quickly enough to keep on the target. At 200 yards plus its hard to believe just how little a change in wind or light can move your bullet far enough to miss.