< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ups refused to ship a firearm  (Read 2704 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
ups refused to ship a firearm
« on: January 30, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »
 I am trying to ship a pistol, with a prepaid ticket on it, the UPS store on 173 and center refused to ship it, I have shipped many guns with ups. and have received a lot of them, are they changing there policy?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: ups refused to ship a firearm
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »
By company policy, the retail stores are not allowed to ship firearms or ORM-D.  You have to take those packages to the shipping center down in south O.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:28:05 PM »
so they discriminate against us.  I don't think that is fair
 NRA Endowment member

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »
It's not the policy of the individual stores, that policy comes down from UPS corporate.  They will ship firearms but they want them all going through their hub.

I kind of see their point - UPS stores are franchises, owned by individuals, usually in a strip mall or something similar.  They're not really a secured location.  Having firearms taken directly to the hub is more secure and allows UPS to have direct control over them at all times until they're delivered.  In an ideal world we could just drop them off at the store, but that's not the world we live in.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
so they discriminate against us.  I don't think that is fair

How are they discriminating?  The same policy applies to all potentially hazardous shipments.  They're a private business.  They can refuse service to anyone they want ... as long as it's not a gay couple that wants a wedding cake.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
The South O branch is a real PITA to find.

2536 Edward Babe Gomez Avenue
Omaha, NE 68107

Use google maps.  Realize you can't directly get off on Q to it (have to take 27th), etc.

You'll need your package properly labeled - but the folks are generally pretty friendly about helping ya out (at least last time I was in there shipping some surplus ammo I had bought).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »
By company policy, the retail stores are not allowed to ship firearms or ORM-D.  You have to take those packages to the shipping center down in south O.

I agree.  PITA but have to go to south O.  FedEx or UPS will deliver the gun back to you at your house or business though if it's sent back from the factory.   

Not saying you should do this and I haven't done it but I've been told you could lie and say it's car parts when they ask what it is. 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »
Not saying you should do this and I haven't done it but I've been told you could lie and say it's car parts when they ask what it is. 

Uhm, no.

Don't do that.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »
I agree.  PITA but have to go to south O.  FedEx or UPS will deliver the gun back to you at your house or business though if it's sent back from the factory.   

Had to ship a pistol back to Ruger.  They require it be dropped at the hub.  They told me not to declare it was a firearm unless they asked me.

Definitely don't lie about it.  The consequences could be worse than you imagine.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »
Uhm, no.

Don't do that.

Ha believe it or not I was actually told that by a firearm manufacture I was shipping a pistol back for service.  I asked what I should say when they ask what was inside the package and the man said those exact words that way the person behind the counter won't give you the third degree. 

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »

They can refuse service to anyone they want ... as long as it's not a gay couple that wants a wedding cake.

That's funny - and true. Maybe the shipper should say he's sending a pistol to his same-sex partner.  :laugh:
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 09:12:10 PM »
ok, maybe not discrimination, but I get very tired of gun owners cant do this, and gun owners cant do that,, I been to the south O terminal many times, its just  40 miles away,, just irks me that anyone can ship  ******* ok I wont print it,. . but anything else imaginable, but if its a gun, we are treated differently,

also . they wouldn't let me hand it to a driver out here, even tho I had a prepaid shipping label
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 11:59:38 PM »
I think the going rate for shipping items is also less at the hub.  Those retail centers get a mark up.  If you print a label yourself from ebay or paypal, you get a discount if you play with the data entry fields, and pick certain settings. 

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »
ok I wont print it,. . but anything else imaginable, but if its a gun, we are treated differently,

No ... if it's anything on their "hazardous materials" or "dangerous goods" list it's treated differently.

I get where you're coming from.  It would be convenient to be able to ship my firearm from the UPS store ... or my chemicals ... or ... but UPS has a policy against it.

Offline Gantry

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »
Definitely don't lie about it.  The consequences could be worse than you imagine.

And those horrible consequences would be what?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »
And those horrible consequences would be what?

Let's Start Here:

18USC922(a)6:

6) for any person in connection with the acquisition or attempted acquisition of any firearm or ammunition from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement or to furnish or exhibit any false, fictitious, or misrepresented identification, intended or likely to deceive such importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector with respect to any fact material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of such firearm or ammunition under the provisions of this chapter;

Interested parties may do their own research to determine (a) Specific Class of Federal felony and (b) Penalty in Time and Money Therefor.

sfg
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:32:43 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »
 OK, so I went down to the UPS office in south Omaha, ( nice to see the old neighborhood again) went in, A guy said I can help you over here, held out his hand, took the box and said thanks, it will be there Monday,  didn't ask what it was,  not a damn thing about it, opposite of how the people at the UPS store acted, you would have thought I was pointing a loaded gun at them.

so its shipped, now we see how good the company repairs the brand new gun.
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Gantry

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »
" licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector"

And a UPS store falls under which of the above categories?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »
And a UPS store falls under which of the above categories?

None    The UPS store is not the issue.

The lie is the issue
:  "....knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement...."

Anyone wishing to serve as the test case here can (a) make the false statement and (b) report same to one or other or both of these folks:

Greg Kubert   BATF Industry Operations Investigator    402 952-2635
Amber Ross   BATF Industry Operations Investigator    402 952-2635

And see what happens.

Let us know.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gantry

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 03:52:27 PM »
None    The UPS store is not the issue.

Au contraire, the UPS store is the issue.

The lie is the issue
:  "....knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement...."

For whatever reason, you seem to have taken things out of context by ignoring the text that precedes the part about oral or written statement……….”6) for any person in connection with the acquisition or attempted acquisition of any firearm or ammunition from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector,”.

You, by stating “None”, acknowledge that a UPS store does not qualify as any of the four entities cited.  Furthermore, the OP was not attempting to acquire any firearm or ammunition.  Almost  everyone involved in this thread understands that UPS simply does not, for whatever reason,  want their franchisees accepting any shipments containing firearms and that is their prerogative.

To align with your interpretation of the law, I suppose that the Feds should plant recording devices at the ammo counters of WalMart. 
When the clerk asks “Is this for a handgun or a rifle?” and the customer responds “rifle” only to wind up using it in a handgun.  Whoa!!  The customer made a false oral statement to the WalMart clerk and must therefore be prosecuted without delay.

Anyone wishing to serve as the test case here can (a) make the false statement and (b) report same to one or other or both of these folks:

Greg Kubert   BATF Industry Operations Investigator    402 952-2635
Amber Ross   BATF Industry Operations Investigator    402 952-2635

And see what happens.

Let us know.

In closing, I offer to anyone looking for a new signature line…….

Tinfoil hats make a lousy fashion statement.