< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Home robbery - firearms stolen  (Read 12950 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Home robbery - firearms stolen
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2016, 05:46:13 PM »
Did they saw off the barrel?

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2016, 12:29:46 AM »
Did they saw off the barrel?

Barrel looks to have remained the same (20"), and OAL looks to be legal as well (it's currently around 28").  When I saw it, I did ask the Sgt if it was still legal for me to take possession of it (how short it was etc)... he seemed fine with it.  When I got the weapon to work, I grabbed a tape measure.

Still really annoyed about the moron that took a saw to the stock.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
Barrel looks to have remained the same (20"), and OAL looks to be legal as well (it's currently around 28").  When I saw it, I did ask the Sgt if it was still legal for me to take possession of it (how short it was etc)... he seemed fine with it.  When I got the weapon to work, I grabbed a tape measure.

Still really annoyed about the moron that took a saw to the stock.

Gorilla Glue maybe?   :o

At least you got it back 

Can you take that guy that pawned the other one to Small Claims Court ? 

And maybe get back what they paid him for it when he pawned it ?
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:53 AM »
A LOT of people, and thieves, have this entitlement attitude: What theirs is theirs, what's yours is their as well.

It's being taught by the PC crowd as a way of setting up dialectical materialism.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »
Gorilla Glue maybe?   :o

At least you got it back 

Can you take that guy that pawned the other one to Small Claims Court ? 

And maybe get back what they paid him for it when he pawned it ?

I'm not gonna bother with the small claims court for the cost of the returned 22 rifle.  ($60, which is prolly more than what it's worth heh).

As far as the Stoeger's problem, they cut out an entire middle portion of the stock, no way to glue it back or anything (and that middle portion is missing, as is the butt "plate").

I'll send Stoeger an email explaining the situation.  Maybe they'll have a stock I can buy or otherwise.

I'll also need to look into mounting new sites on the 22 lr.  It's a Marlin 981T.  The existing hard sights are a no go (at least, the rear site is).  I'm up for any suggestions.

edit: typos & clarification
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:15:01 PM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline RageTherapy

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2016, 04:29:53 PM »
I can't believe they made you pay to get your gun back.  That's a load of bull.  That can't possibly be the law.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
I can't believe they made you pay to get your gun back.  That's a load of bull.  That can't possibly be the law.

Depends on the county here in NE.

In Douglas, the OPD would have confiscated the firearm from the pawn shop and returned it to me.

In Sarpy, it's up to me to go get the firearm from the pawn shop and reimburse them what they had into it.

Lets say the police take it and return it to me.  The pawn shop just got screwed out of the money they paid for the gun.  The pawn shop did NOTHING wrong.

Lets say I have to go reimburse the pawn shop for the gun.  I just got screwed by having to pay for what was already rightfully mine. I've done NOTHING wrong.

In either situation, someone gets screwed.  I can see both sides of the fence, whatever.

edited for clarity

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2016, 09:29:15 PM »
Depends on the county here in NE.

In Douglas, the OPD would have confiscated the firearm from the pawn shop and returned it to me.

In Sarpy, it's up to me to go get the firearm from the pawn shop and reimburse them what they had into it.

Lets say the police take it and return it to me.  The pawn shop just got screwed out of the money they paid for the gun.  The pawn shop did NOTHING wrong.

Lets say I have to go reimburse the pawn shop for the gun.  I just got screwed by having to pay for what was already rightfully mine. I've done NOTHING wrong.

In either situation, someone gets screwed.  I can see both sides of the fence, whatever.

edited for clarity

Pawn shops know that there is a real possibility that the goods peddled to them are stolen. I think that they should be prepared to give up anything that is PROVEN stolen to stay within the law. If they lose property that they buy because it was found to be stolen, they have greater interest in staying honest.

How does someone pawn a firearm with a stolen serial number anyway?

If you went in and "stole" your firearm back, how could you be convicted?

How could a business owner sell you back what he knows is yours with a clear conscious?

I wonder if several people contacted the business with questions such as these if they would be compelled to do what everyone knows would be the right thing.