< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Home robbery - firearms stolen  (Read 12949 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Home robbery - firearms stolen
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 12:14:33 PM »

...which will put you right next to the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club....

:)

Heh.  Like it even more :D

I got a call from OPD today to cover any missing info etc.  Nice folks, but mentioned not a lot to go on in my case.

Been eyeballing dirt cheap places as well.  Ruled out a few, etc. 

Basically, rent with 2 kitties would be expensive ._. ... a low end house would do me just fine heh.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »
Actually, I've applied for an apartment complex in the La Vista area.

Figured the rush to buy a house under duress would be a bad idea. 12 month lease and it will put a cramp on SCIENCE'ing due to the nature of apartment complexes.

I'll have to buy some throw rugs or something ... and do any of the more 'interesting' SCIENCE at work heh.  I'm sure sitting on a balcony melting lead would be frowned upon :D.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »
Might be of use for the future,. Went to Menards in Bellevue yesterday looking for a gunsafe. I have a gun cabinet, like the sort that Unfy had. Was looking at one for by Stackon for $433 when the salesman pointed out that they still had a few of the Christmas special $299, 18 gun specials left. I noe have one of those. The price dropped to $ 279, $298   and change with tax and they had about 6 left when I left. There was 5 in the Council Bluffs store and no others in the Omaha area. If anyone wants one, better jump now!!! They won't last long!!
WØCHF

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 03:13:58 PM »
For an actual safe - I'd suggest... wait for it... an actual safe. 

Something about the size of 2 chest of drawers back to back and weighs 500lbs or more.  I'm also not a huge fan of electric security myself... but I'm sure others here might know better.

For what it's worth, my 10 gun stackon came from Menards Bellevue about a year ago :D.

Dunno what I think of the little 250-300lb stackons mentioned by greybeard.

Move in next week! Yay!

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »
A week ago, a dremel had gone missing.  I was using it out on my front 'porch' thing to cut some pipe and that was the last day I saw it.  I dunno if I lost it (possible) or if left out front and some kid walked off with it, or if someone snagged it from inside the house while eyeballing stuff.  The latter seems most likely 'in hind site'.  Which means it's possible someone was in the house to eyeball everything once before coming back later to actually do the thieving ?

Said Dremel was found.  Yup, just lost it in my living room.  It was hiding next to an air compressor and blended in.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »
Said Dremel was found.  Yup, just lost it in my living room.  It was hiding next to an air compressor and blended in.

Well, why not...   Doesn't everyone has an Air Compressor in their living room.  Easy to miss a little Dremel.....

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 06:12:03 PM »
Well, why not...   Doesn't everyone has an Air Compressor in their living room.  Easy to miss a little Dremel.....

It's all Because unfy doesn't have minions

I keep telling unfy he needs minions!  :P :laugh: ;D
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2014, 09:23:02 PM »
Wow.  Scary stuff.  So sorry to read about your misfortune.

It is a very difficult thing to get over knowing someone was in your house.

I hope you get at least some of your items back.  I know 2 others who have had firearms stolen over the years and the rate of return is almost nil unless you get very lucky.

Thanks also for the tip about the NRA insurance.  I didn't realize I had to activate it.  Activated now.  I'll let my son to know to activate his also.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 06:42:51 PM »
Old thread is old.

Tomorrow I'll go take possession of a subpoena from Douglas County in regards to State of NE vs some guy.  I hope this is related to the firearms and they've recovered some, if not all, of them.

crossing fingers

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2015, 06:46:48 PM »
We'll say an extra prayer for ya.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 09:52:43 PM »
They indeed recovered one of the firearms.  Not the S&W 357mag, sadly -- but the Stoeger Coach. 

Yay!

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2016, 12:38:16 AM »
I had gone home around 2AM Friday morning and noticed police kinda looking for stuff etc near the northbound onramp to 75/kennedy from cornhusker. I debated stopping and offering to help if they needed extra man power - but a cruiser pulled up so things seemed fine and I drove on.

Fast forward to tonight (Friday night) ... OWH news article:

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/arrested-after-shot-heard-near-bellevue-restaurant/article_152cd0b4-c145-11e5-9d1f-0ff721c92b3d.html

Gun shot, Golden Corral, no one injured, etc.  They were doing some searching ...

Quote from: the article
Officers found a shotgun and a .22-caliber rifle hidden behind a trash bin and a handgun that had been thrown into a ditch.

.... and from my initial post of this thread (emphasis added) ....

Stack on safe - cheap black ten gun
Win mod 94 30-30 s#6061146
Marlin 981T 22lr s#91676762
Mossy 500 Persuader 12 ga pistol grip only s#t307154
Stoeger Coach 12ga s#639530-10 - recovered!
Richland Arms 10ga side by side s#50908
S&W 686 357mag revolver s#dcn7188

At first I was like:

But then I was like:

I'll bug either the Bellevue PD or Omaha PD over the weekend or Monday :D

Coincidentally - I may be able to pick up the Stoeger from Sarpy County in 2-3 weeks! Yay!

some edits for grammar etc
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:41:47 AM by unfy »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 03:12:45 PM »
I'll bug either the Bellevue PD or Omaha PD over the weekend or Monday :D

Coincidentally - I may be able to pick up the Stoeger from Sarpy County in 2-3 weeks! Yay!

Finally got in contact with the Bellevue PD.  Nope, the firearms weren't mine :(.  Sgt Milos was friendly.

Haven't heard anything about picking up the stoeger yet. I'll bug Sarpy County again in a day or two.

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 09:42:09 PM »
Sorry to hear your hopes got let down   :(  Keep nagging!  It was good to finally meet you at the NFOA breakfast.  See you next time
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »
Interesting post, I just purchased a safe from Nebraska Furniture Mart and trying to decide if its worth it.
Its the stack on Elite 24.  Weighs over 450 lbs. and at $800 its some security and value.  They deliver this week and I am considering cancelling it.

After watching you tube, I realize someone who really wants in and has some time with it will get into it simply with a couple crow bars.  But its not something they are going to be able to just steal.

I started looking at what a "Real safe" is and realized to get something secure in that same size Ill be in the 2500 to 5000 range.  That's a lot of guns right there.  Probably 50% of what I have invested.

I am trying to decide if a $150 gun cabinet is just as good as this safe.  But given what happened to you I think I realize they aren't going to just pick up and take a 450lb safe very easily.

Ahh the illusion of security.

Sorry to hear about your loss.  Your not at fault, you could have spent 1K on a safe like I did and have this happen anyways:

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
Interesting post, I just purchased a safe from Nebraska Furniture Mart and trying to decide if its worth it.
Its the stack on Elite 24.  Weighs over 450 lbs. and at $800 its some security and value.  They deliver this week and I am considering cancelling it.

After watching you tube, I realize someone who really wants in and has some time with it will get into it simply with a couple crow bars.  But its not something they are going to be able to just steal.

I started looking at what a "Real safe" is and realized to get something secure in that same size Ill be in the 2500 to 5000 range.  That's a lot of guns right there.  Probably 50% of what I have invested.

I am trying to decide if a $150 gun cabinet is just as good as this safe.  But given what happened to you I think I realize they aren't going to just pick up and take a 450lb safe very easily.

Ahh the illusion of security.

Sorry to hear about your loss.  Your not at fault, you could have spent 1K on a safe like I did and have this happen anyways:

as far as a heavy safe being better , I have read many stories over the years, of people running a tow truck cable thru a window, even into the basement and just pulling the safe thru the wall,  then just tarp it up on the sling and carry it away,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
I am trying to decide if a $150 gun cabinet is just as good as this safe.
  Just throwing my .02 in here....there is more to consider than just theft prevention when it comes to safes.  If you have some hefty valued items/items of personal sentimental value/etc. you may want to consider investing in a quality fire-proof safe.  Yes, they are expensive, but some items acquired over a lifetime can never be replaced....so, please reconsider is $150 really good enough?    I don't have one...yet...but the plan is in the works.   
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2016, 12:22:26 PM »
$150 is not enough, my question though is the $850 safe really much better ($700 better)?  Both can be broken into.

My daughter hangs with the rougher crowds.  My goal is to keep a couple teenage boys who may have a few hours in my house away from my valuables.

A $150 cabinet can be broken into with a couple large screwdrivers but is a $850 safe going to keep them out?
They aren't going to be able to steal It very easily that's for sure.

Just throwing my .02 in here....there is more to consider than just theft prevention when it comes to safes.  If you have some hefty valued items/items of personal sentimental value/etc. you may want to consider investing in a quality fire-proof safe.  Yes, they are expensive, but some items acquired over a lifetime can never be replaced....so, please reconsider is $150 really good enough?    I don't have one...yet...but the plan is in the works.   

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2016, 12:24:16 PM »
In my area that would attract a lot of attention.  At that point they are probably willing to hold me at gun or knife point and make me unlock it.
No safe protects against that.
   as far as a heavy safe being better , I have read many stories over the years, of people running a tow truck cable thru a window, even into the basement and just pulling the safe thru the wall,  then just tarp it up on the sling and carry it away,

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2016, 12:36:18 PM »
Thus the reason it is highly recommended bolting the safe to the floor
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan