< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Home robbery - firearms stolen  (Read 12952 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Home robbery - firearms stolen
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
when i clicked the link, i didn't think it was going to relate to an active member.

sorry to hear.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »
Wasn't activated. I had not sat down to do that paper work yet

I don't believe there is anything to "activate" for the first $1,000 coverage.  It will certainly be worth a phone call to them tomorrow. 

As Farmer Rick said, follow up with Homeowner's policy.  Sadly, most only cover up to $500 TOTAL loss without an additional rider.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:46:43 AM by bullit »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »
Not what you want to hear, but home burglary, can be like a trip to the salad bar.  People sometimes go through line again.   In a hurry to get away, if they saw anything they also want, they might come back. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »
I don't believe there is anything to "activate" for the first $1,000 coverage.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/armscare.htm?segmentcode=afm11220

The change to $2500 coverage a few years back came with the activation requirement
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 03:23:18 PM »
Perhaps instead of a fundraiser for replacing the guns, the NFOA with the help of it's members put together a reward for info leading to the return of said weapons to their rightful owner?

Whatcha think?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Perhaps instead of a fundraiser for replacing the guns, the NFOA with the help of it's members put together a reward for info leading to the return of said weapons to their rightful owner?

Whatcha think?

Too bad vigilante posses are not a politically correct response any more.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »

Whatcha think?
I'm for that!  You heading it up Rick? Where do I send the money?
Maybe....
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »

Whatcha think?

THIS ^^^^

Isn't that how Crime Stoppers works?   A fund could be set up to provide a reward for info leading to an arrest.  Maybe someone in that area could be the designated rep for the NFOA to collect any contributions and forward said funds to Crime Stoppers on behalf of Unfy's case.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
unfy, glad you're okay.  I remember the Smithy from the reloading class.  A sweet little handgun for sure.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
I will print out the list to give a copy to all the dealers at the next Fremont Gun Show in 2 weeks.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:19:16 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
If you have extras of the list. ill put them on my table at fremont
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »
After an uneasy nap - slept hard for ... Ever? Heh.

Any info I post here can be used by anyone for anything at anytime. Even if it shines me in a bad light :)

The crime stoppers like thing is interesting. I'd have to think about it and those interested should bug the NFOA board - there's political concerns etc.

Thanks again to folks wanting / doing helping out.

I'll be munching on breakfast then getting a few totes from Menards to take what very few things of value left to store elsewhere. I don't collect much of value - firearms were the most of it and they only totaled 2-3k or so: far less than a decent trap / skeet gun :P

When I get to work behind a keyboard I'll type out more. Instead of this phone heh
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:07:12 PM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
Ok, I've made it to work.  Time to type out some stuff heh.  I'll see if I can address some posts by folks first.

I know this has probably been asked, but  Someone you know? Someone recently in your home- service work? Cable Guy, Plumber, etc?
Awful precise theft to be random.

Only person to have been in my house other than me in the past 12 months was an MUD guy doing a survey for gas line work they're in the middle of doing right now.  And no, he didn't go near where the guns were.

Now for the butt chewing.

Stack on gun cabinet?  Fail.

Not bolted down? Fail

This is not to chastise you, it is for the other 300 people on here that are in the same boat you were.

Good quality safe, in a hidden location, out of sight, not prominent , and bolted down to concrete.

Gun safe should be worth as much or more than any single good gun in the safe.

I typically don't collect anything of value.  Jewelry, expensive electronics, etc.  It's just "stuff" which I generally don't give two ****s about.  That said, I had been slowly collecting some cheap guns over the years.  The amount of them I had warranted a small cabinet / safe thing to help keep them out of the hands of Squirt when he came over.

So, the only purpose of this 'safe' was to keep Squirt out of it. Not an anti-theft device.

Not bolted down - not intended to be an antitheft device, and given that I rent - I don't think the land lord might appreciate me drilling holes into stuff :D

As far as worth of the safe being upwards in price if it's for protecting the guns - I agree :D

Anyone that wants to donate a safe, let me know, I can help with pick-up and delivery.

Hehehehe.  Only firearm left is the one on my hip.  Doesn't require a safe :(

And non of your neighbors saw anything?

Apparently not.

http://www.stolenweapon.com/

Requires $13 for a lifetime membership ? Not at the moment.

I'm curious, was the safe in your garage or basement or interior room?     

Bedroom.  I live in a house that was turned into an apartment. I'm in the basement of the house with it's own front and back doors.

How was entry gained?

And this is where everyone face palms hehehe.

Given that I live in this funky apartment - well - the breaker box for my apartment is in my laundry room.  It just so happens that the breaker box for the upstairs is also in my laundry room (two breaker boxes).  So I happen to leave my back door unlocked as a courtesy to upstairs neighbors.  This has obviously been changed now.

So how was entry gained ? Walked in from back door.

This is further evidenced in that the cat litter box had been moved and the light in the laundry room had been unscrewed (to turn it off).  They dusted the light bulb for prints, for those who are curious.

Any neighbors in the area have any surveillance cams or knowledge of comings & goings in the area?

A neighbor across the street would typically kinda know - he likes to sit out on his porch and keep an eye on things.  But with it cold out - he's not been sitting outside.  As far as cameras - no all around.

With nothing else taken.....someone really had to know where you kept your stuff AND when you were going to be away.

This is where it does get a bit weird.

Since I hurt my back a year ago I haven't really kept up with cleaning.  The place is downright cluttered to all hell.  Ya can't take two consecutive steps in any given direction - and you *will* have to walk over something.  Too many projects going on at once heh.

As such, it'd be difficult to not disturb things, yet the only things disturbed was the gun safe, gun cases, a heater they knocked over, a chisel they grabbed from an adjoining room to pry open a pistol box, and possibly a box of reloaded ammo that looks to have been moved.

So having not disturbed anything, means they took their time.  Not letting the cats out means they didn't prop a door open.

A week ago, a dremel had gone missing.  I was using it out on my front 'porch' thing to cut some pipe and that was the last day I saw it.  I dunno if I lost it (possible) or if left out front and some kid walked off with it, or if someone snagged it from inside the house while eyeballing stuff.  The latter seems most likely 'in hind site'.  Which means it's possible someone was in the house to eyeball everything once before coming back later to actually do the thieving ?

I would think that your homeowners's insurance policy should cover at least part of that.  Most will up to a certain limit, though you may be close to that point.

Rental, and I don't believe I have renter's insurance.  As mentioned above, I don't really collect stuff of value so I never gave it two thoughts.  And - stuff is just stuff heh. 

I've not called the place I might have insurance through yet, that'll be in a bit. Nor have I called the NRA yet.

Not what you want to hear, but home burglary, can be like a trip to the salad bar.

I've moved what few things of value I do have to an alternate location now (not at home).  A few things from when my mom passed, etc. 

This includes all of my reloading gear, brass, powder, and primers.  Left the lead at home though heh.  I'll also be moving within the month (I hope).  Either another apartment or renting a full house, or finally buying a house :D.

edit:

Folks that know I have guns:

Coworkers (6-10 folks).  Trust them.

Two best friends a few blocks away.  Trust them.

Ex-girlfriend and her family. They're good folks / trust them.

Immediate neighbors: gun cases when going to range are hard to miss.

I've showed and telled for two neighbors about a year ago.  Both of them I trust.

Another neighbor is more interested in getting drunk than anything else.

Upstairs neighbors: haven't really said more than 6 words to them in the year they've been there (I'm rarely home at same time they are)... but they're nice enough I suppose.

The last "neighbor" diagonal across street is a house full of folks, and don't trust them one bit.  At all.

SemperFiGuy. trust him :D

All of y'all - but y'all dunno where I live :D.

edit yet again:

This is the first robbery of my house in the 14 years I've lived here by the way.  It's been a good neighborhood for the most part.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:14:29 PM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »
I activated my insurance too. I have a rider with my home insurance to cover most of mine.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »
Only person to have been in my house other than me in the past 12 months was an MUD guy doing a survey for gas line work they're in the middle of doing right now.

That you know of....    Think 6 degrees of separation.  You know the neighbors have had access for the breaker boxes.  They may have never gone past the box but they also may have been observed by others going in your back door.  If they have kids - kids talk...  Kids may have gone in the door because they saw mom/dad do it - found they safe and told their friends who have older siblings that might be interested in things like that.  A little observation and they know your work routine, that you leave and come back at regular times? Now they have a timeline of how long they can stay in the apartment without you coming home.

I had a burglary in 1999 in which I lost 6 guns.  To this day, I believe a friend of my son had some link to the theft.  Either direct or indirect.  Son had told him that I bought him a new shotgun for his birthday and I kept it locked in a safe.  He also shared that we were going on vacation.  Less than 24 hrs after we left Omaha, someone kicked in the front door and were in the house for quite a while.  Long enough to find the safe and then get tools from the garage and pry the door open using crowbars and 8# sledges....       

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 06:58:22 PM »
Only person to have been in my house other than me in the past 12 months was an MUD guy doing a survey for gas line work they're in the middle of doing right now.

That you know of....    Think 6 degrees of separation.

Upstairs neighbors telling someone or something, maybe. Dunno.

One of the neighbors I trust that did show a couple firearms to a year ago is the talkative type.

So in general, possibly.

Started looking at houses.  Louisville has a house I could like.  Valley has a cabin (or basically just a cabin) that would suit my "im sick of neighbors" just fine heh.  Plattsmouth has a few houses as does Murray.

Started look at apartment complexes as a temporary move in thing while I get finances in order for buying a house.  Gotta be able to do pets and possibly offer shorter terms.  Hoping to move out into an apartment complex in 3 weeks or so.

Blah blah blah.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »
LET IT BE KNOWN TO EVERYONE THIS LIST OF THINGS.

I NEVER GO TO NFOA MEETINGS, COFFEES OR SUCH.

I HAVE MULTIPLE SAFES IN SCATTERED LOCATIONS

I HAVE AN ALARM SYSTEM SOUROUNDING ALL MY SAFES

HALF MY SAFES ARE EMPTY

I DRIVE DIFFERENT VEHICLES, AND MY COMINGS AND GOING ARE ALWAYS AT DIFFERENT TIMES

I ADVISE OTHERS TO ALWAYS TRY NEVER TO USE DEADLY FORCE, EXCEPT IN LAST RESORT INSTANCES, IN CASE OF LIFE, LIMB, KIDNAPPING, OR SEXUAL ASSAULT.

I SELDOM LISTEN TO MY OWN ADVICE

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »
LET IT BE KNOWN TO EVERYONE THIS LIST OF THINGS.

I NEVER GO TO NFOA MEETINGS, COFFEES OR SUCH.

I HAVE MULTIPLE SAFES IN SCATTERED LOCATIONS

I HAVE AN ALARM SYSTEM SOUROUNDING ALL MY SAFES

HALF MY SAFES ARE EMPTY

I DRIVE DIFFERENT VEHICLES, AND MY COMINGS AND GOING ARE ALWAYS AT DIFFERENT TIMES

I ADVISE OTHERS TO ALWAYS TRY NEVER TO USE DEADLY FORCE, EXCEPT IN LAST RESORT INSTANCES, IN CASE OF LIFE, LIMB, KIDNAPPING, OR SEXUAL ASSAULT.

I SELDOM LISTEN TO MY OWN ADVICE

Actually, folks posting on facebook their regular schedule ... is... erf.

Or when they go on vacation.

Etc.

:)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 12:26:54 AM »
Actually, folks posting on facebook their regular schedule ... is... erf.

Or when they go on vacation.

Etc.

This is only one of the many reasons that I loathe Facebook.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »

Started looking at houses.  Louisville has a house I could like. 

...which will put you right next to the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club....

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com