< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Guns, Ammo Found In UNO Dorm  (Read 3561 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Guns, Ammo Found In UNO Dorm
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Guns-Ammo-Found-In-UNO-Dorm-252024641.html

A 20-year-old University of Nebraska at Omaha student was arrested for unlawful possession of a gun, after police were called to the dorms Saturday.

Police reported finding two Russian rifles, a Ruger mini 14 rifle, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in various sizes.

He was booked into jail for unlawful possession of a firearm at school.

~~ see complete story at link ~~
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Guns, Ammo Found In UNO Dorm
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't call it an arsenal...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »
"Cache"
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »
Since the dorm was his "residence" I wonder if this could be pursued inline with the recent victory in Delaware? I know I was ticked when I had to go unarmed in the dorms and they require you to stay in the dorm or in "on campus housing" your first year.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2014/3/nra-victorious-against-wilmington-housing-authority.aspx

Yesterday the Delaware Supreme Court found in the case Jane Doe v. Wilmington Housing Authority that the Wilmington Housing Authority’s (WHA) gun ban amongst its tenants, which denied these public housing residents their fundamental Second Amendment rights, is unconstitutional. The National Rifle Association has supported this suit since it was filed in 2010 through two federal courts and the state Supreme Court to defend the Right to Keep and Bear Arms of all Delawareans.

Our own constitution states:

Nebraska State Constitution » I-1 Print Friendly
I-1. Statement of rights.
All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:23:03 PM »
The law is wrong,But just like the registration laws in CT that so many are choosing to ignore. He is an adult he chose to have guns over the potential risk of never owning guns again.

Now likely he is done being a gun owner.  He could have chosen to goto a fine college in Utah and had all the guns he wanted there.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:38:07 AM »
I spent a few years in college dorms.  I do not remember the need or desire to bring along a mini 14 with me. 

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 07:42:23 AM »
I spent a few years in college dorms.  I do not remember the need or desire to bring along a mini 14 with me. 

And I have friends who have had siblings break or even sell firearms while the owners are at school.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »
If I understand correctly UNL has lockers for securing the firearms while you are at school... I went to Milford and they had a safe that you could check them into... play by the roles and stay out of trouble...

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »

Just like you don't "need" 30 round magazines?

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »
Years ago in the UNL dorms we could store our shotguns with the hall "RA". Following the rules wasn't too much of an inconvenience, but nobody seemed to bat an eye either if they saw someone on the elevator coming or going with a soft case. The chance of getting in trouble was probably lower than the chance of a nice fowling piece being scratched up in some locker. Once our floor Student Advisor saw someone on the elevator with a soft case and jokingly confirmed that those were his "pool cues".

Still, I don't recall anyone with more than one or two hunting guns. If they did have more, they cartainly didn't let it be know. The phrase "discretion is the better part of valor" doesn't seem to be taught as much these days.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »

Just like you don't "need" 30 round magazines?

Gary, I've never felt the need to break my Glock down while being pulled over.

Offline dampmonkey

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »
Since the dorm was his "residence" I wonder if this could be pursued inline with the recent victory in Delaware? I know I was ticked when I had to go unarmed in the dorms and they require you to stay in the dorm or in "on campus housing" your first year.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2014/3/nra-victorious-against-wilmington-housing-authority.aspx

Our own constitution states:
Nebraska State Constitution » I-1 Print Friendly
I-1. Statement of rights.
All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

However, Nebraska statute 28-1204.04 states:
(1) Any person who possesses a firearm in a school, on school grounds, in a school-owned vehicle, or at a school-sponsored activity or athletic event is guilty of the offense of unlawful possession of a firearm at a school. Unlawful possession of a firearm at a school is a Class IV felony.

Whatever way you look at it, this student was an adult who signed a housing contract with the University and broke that contract by keeping firearms in his dorm room.  It should be noted that university housing is NOT required for first year students unlike some other colleges.  A responsible gun owner would have given that housing contract a big one finger salute and stayed at one of the many nearby apartment complexes where their arsenal/cache/death machine collection is more than welcome.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »
The state constitution trumps statutes, that is what I suggested when I compared it to the public housing in Deleware. I'm not saying they are the same, just similar.

Yes, you can store your firearms and ammo with campus police in their lockers.

I referred to UNL requiring all freshman students to live on campus not UNO. No, UNO does not require students to live on campus, but UNL requires all unmarried students with less than 27 credits and who are under the age of 19 on the first day of the fall semester. Students can get waivers if they live with parents or close relatives within a 30 mile radius of campus.

If we are truly going to advance our liberty then making it a civil right, like it should be, is imperative. I played by the rules when I went through college, and this guys definitely effed himself but I'm just trying to look at it from a different perspective.

Also, Deanne Brink this morning incorrectly stated that he "did not have a permit for the rifles which is required in Douglas county". I emailed them to ask for their clarification.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline dampmonkey

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »

Also, Deanne Brink this morning incorrectly stated that he "did not have a permit for the rifles which is required in Douglas county". I emailed them to ask for their clarification.

Please post your findings here!  I would also like to know about this "permit"

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Guns-Ammo-Found-In-UNO-Dorm-252024641.html

A 20-year-old University of Nebraska at Omaha student was arrested for unlawful possession of a gun, after police were called to the dorms Saturday.

Police reported finding two Russian rifles, a Ruger mini 14 rifle, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in various sizes.

He was booked into jail for unlawful possession of a firearm at school.

~~ see complete story at link ~~

Sad. This kid seems totally harmless, and now they are going to try their hardest to deprive him of his civil rights for the rest of his life.

Offline dampmonkey

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »

Sad. This kid seems totally harmless, and now they are going to try their hardest to deprive him of his civil rights for the rest of his life.

Schools accross the country have a bad track record with "zero tolerance policies" lately, whether it be with fighting, weapons, medication, etc.  They basically throw all common sense out the window and deliver the harshest applicable punishment.  Some of these cases really make me lost faith in our public school systems. 

I read a story the other day about a high school student who was training to become an EMT and was kicked out of school and jailed when a penknife was found in his car which was parked in the school parking lot.  The kid's pen knife was a part of his EMT training kit, used for cutting seat belts. Zero tolerance policies at work, ruining one life at a time...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583655/High-school-senior-kicked-school-jailed-two-weeks-penknife-car.html

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
This kid looks like a great test case. Most of the time you can not challenge a law until you are on the wrong side of it. Do we support gun rights or not?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »
This kid looks like a great test case. Most of the time you can not challenge a law until you are on the wrong side of it. Do we support gun rights or not?

I agree...Maybe the SAF will take interest in his case with some prodding from all of us
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »
I agree...Maybe the SAF will take interest in his case with some prodding from all of us

Or perhaps the NFOA ....

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 01:52:21 PM »
It's Starting

The Rocks are shifting ....

Florida Carry, UF standoff over campus gun rules continues
http://www.alligator.org/news/campus/article_8bb491bc-b306-11e3-8f35-001a4bcf887a.html

University of Florida Sued Over Gun Restrictions
University bans guns in residence halls
http://freebeacon.com/issues/university-of-florida-sued-over-gun-restrictions/

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"