< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Every 2nd Matters & Target Stores Ban Open Carry Guns  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Every 2nd Matters & Target Stores Ban Open Carry Guns
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »
On the day of the month some folks celederate the 2ND Amendment in a group called EVERY 2ND MATTERS,  Target stores has taken the action to ban open carry firearms from entering their box stores.   

Because of their name, and logo, Target has become the latest big business giant in the USA to be a mental battleground for 2nd Ammendments rights.

This is my post, so I guess I will freely express my opinion of all this open carry business that is getting carry rights evicted right and left all over this country. 

Shame on the handful of AR15 block heads that felt it was their right to protest show up in force to demonstrate at locations all across this nation for years, with no greater goal in mind than to call attention to themselves and show they could do it. 

Well, once again, they have done it.

So, how many of us  went quietly , minding our own business , shopping at Target, with a concealed handgun ? 

Thank goodness, Target is only banning open carry of (I assume) rifles

I know the right to our 2nd Amendment is applied differently by each of us, and many of us feel strongly about how to best serve this precious freedom   .   

On this 2nd of the month, I would encourage everyone here to do something POSITIVE to support the 2nd Amendment. 

I am calling the NRA, and going to respond positively to their invitation to increase my membership.    Everyone in this forum, I would invite you to do the same.

My CHP class I will teach tonight at 6pm, I will turn up the volume on my desire to instill in my students, there are two ways to go about most any problem, a right way, and a wrong way.   As we loose major ground in stores like Target, we need to figure out how we have failed in the past and not make those errors again.

I am sad this day. 

(NOTE)  I am so very happy to have to modify this message to only be for open carry. 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:57:16 PM by Gary »

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Every 2nd Matters & Target Stores Ban All Guns
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 06:00:51 PM »
These nut jobs are a godsend for Mom's Demand Action, Brady Campaign and Bloomberg.

These anti gun groups are just a small dying flame until these idiots keep throwing gasoline on them.

I just hope we have some rights left after these guys get done trying to save our 2nd. Amendment rights. :'(
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 06:20:28 PM »
Target's statement said nothing about banning guns nor did it speak of concealed carry.

Only a polite request to leave your guns at home, mostly meant toward the open carry crowd.

Wait to see how it all shakes out and if the no guns signs go up.

I rarely visit Target anyway. 
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
Us concealed carry people keep picking up business that are in the gray area for carrying, they don't post yet they make statements not to bring firearms into there stores.

I personally would rather they put up no open carry signs, it takes the guess work out of it and put the loss of rights on those who caused it.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:41:25 PM »
http://abullseyeview.com/2014/07/target-addresses-firearms-in-stores/

Not easy to find on the corporate Target web site, and most of the media is reporting it incorrectly, but Target is NOT banning concealed carry.  They are only banning open carry.

I am sorry I got it wrong, and I apologize for not understanding the complete simple story.

Here is a link to the press release from Target.

http://abullseyeview.com/2014/07/target-addresses-firearms-in-stores/

Thank heavens, I am so happy to be wrong!

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Every 2nd Matters & Target Stores Ban Open Carry Guns
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:05 PM »
But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law.

I guess I don't see where you get concealed carry is welcomed out of this statement.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:37:53 PM »
Quote from first paragraph

"Target’s policy on the “open carry” of firearms in its stores"

As the subject is open carry of firearms, however.....

It is hoped that this odd wording of policy will allow all parties to think they have won, and quit bickering.

I think this letter was penned by a statesman, one who likes to have everyone think all sides of an issue, won.

There is a hook in this press release for everyone to hang their hat on. 

The subject is open carry, while the mention of guns is stated later, but I am pretty sure the second half of the letter, does not change the subject of the letter.

Continuing the quote:

"Bringing guns into Target"   

I am wearing underwear into target under my pants, but I am not bringing them into Target.  My private affairs under my clothes, is not bringing anything into the public arena of Target.

That is what the letter is saying, or says clearly enough to me.  While I can see some may see this as a victory for anti gunners, I see this as a stalemate, a tie.    Until signs go up in Target saying NO GUNS in their windows, I see this as a victory for everyone.

Hopefully the anti gun groups will leave Target alone now.

Hopefully the AR-15 zealots will stay out now.

Hopefully no signs will be posted saying No Concealed Carry in the future.

Everybody wins, except the 1/10th of 1/10th of 1/10th % that thinks they need to walk everywhere with an AR-15 on their shoulder.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 06:19:00 AM »
I am wearing underwear into target under my pants, but I am not bringing them into Target.  My private affairs under my clothes, is not bringing anything into the public arena of Target.

Keep in mind though, there is no Constitutional Right to be allowed to wear underwear...  just sayin' ....

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 07:49:06 AM »
I also haven't seen an entire book of rules, regulations and laws on how, where, when and what matter I am to wear my underwear or the list of fines and laws I will be breaking if I wear them under my pants. ;D

Don't get me started if I have to take a class get finger printed and carry a license and ID to just get dressed in the morning. :o

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 08:24:19 AM »
All I know for sure is if you are going to wear a g string in Target, that is walking a very fine line. 

Back to topic, lets hope we dont see a no guns sign at the doors. That would make it pretty clear.  If we see a no open carry sign , that would displease less of us I would think. 

Hard to please everybody in complex matters folks feel so strongly about.

Offline RedBird

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 10:39:27 AM »
All I know for sure is if you are going to wear a g string in Target, that is walking a very fine line. 

Back to topic, lets hope we dont see a no guns sign at the doors. That would make it pretty clear.  If we see a no open carry sign , that would displease less of us I would think. 

Hard to please everybody in complex matters folks feel so strongly about.

Yes, it is difficult to please everyone in matters such as this. However, does it make a difference whether the sign is a "No Open Carry", "No Concealed Carry", or "No Guns" sign? Shouldn't they all be the same as far as we're concerned? IMO every new no guns sign that a business posts is a step in the wrong direction regardless of your preferred method of carry.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if these open carry types are really Bloomberg plants.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 12:09:53 PM »
These long gun toting in public bunch definitely aren't worried about hurting are gun rights or they would STOP IT!!!

I don't understand what they are doing??? Maybe they had some reports that the pheasant hunting in aisle 13 is good or maybe that there is a healthy coyote population in women's wear.

If it's attention there after maybe they could parachute into the parking lot before entering with there AR. Maybe like a scene off Red Dawn. :o

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »
We don't need concealed carry laws because open carry is legal. Only criminals, thugs and brigands walk around with hidden guns. If you want to carry a gun do it the right way; hang it on your hip or sling it across your shoulder openly like law abiding citizens always have in America.

These words are from the very same people that were and still are opposed to concealed carry that are spouting all the B.S. about open carry now. And some of us are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Anti-gunners pre-concealed carry; Open carry is the only politically correct way to carry.

Anti-gunners post concealed carry; Open carry is NOT politically correct.

I can see that history is repeating itself except this time the anti-gun people have found a way to get a large number of gun owners to march in lock step with them.

This divide and conquer at its finest!
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 06:19:35 PM »
I personally think open carry of a handgun in a holster is a great idea and maybe a way of slowly working guns back into the public's eye.

I do understand what you're talking about Gunscribe although I'm not sure of this open carry utopia is possible in today's society, but it would be great if we could all carry long guns in public like the good 'ole days.

The way I see it these individuals are hurting are cause with no benefit.

There actions not only scare people but seems pointless for they are not carrying for protection but to show off to prove they can.

I personally wish they would stay the hell out of business and do something more useful like march down main street or the court house maybe city hall perhaps the police station.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »
The way I see it these individuals are hurting are cause with no benefit.

The benefit comes from the more it is done the less it becomes an issue.

Are they doing it to make a point? Yes! Are some of them less than stellar examples? Yes.

They have for years tried to work within the system to get the open carry of handguns legalized in Texas to no avail. Now they have taken the next logical step and that is the street corner soap box.

"Oh yea, well they can just get a ccw permit" All well and good but every American Citizen is supposed to have the Right to keep and bear arms. It is not a Right when you have to get permission from Mommy to do something.

All of the things being said by the anti-gun faction about open carry was said about concealed carry before it became a non-issue. "Oh there will be blood in the streets, gun fights over parking places, people will be scared if they don't know where the guns are etc..

No matter what we do it will be wrong and in a relatively short period of time long gun carry will become a non-issue if gun owners support it and get out and do it.

Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
We don't need concealed carry laws because open carry is legal. Only criminals, thugs and brigands walk around with hidden guns. If you want to carry a gun do it the right way; hang it on your hip or sling it across your shoulder openly like law abiding citizens always have in America.

These words are from the very same people that were and still are opposed to concealed carry that are spouting all the B.S. about open carry now. And some of us are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Anti-gunners pre-concealed carry; Open carry is the only politically correct way to carry.

Anti-gunners post concealed carry; Open carry is NOT politically correct.

I can see that history is repeating itself except this time the anti-gun people have found a way to get a large number of gun owners to march in lock step with them.

This divide and conquer at its finest!

+1

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 08:51:59 PM »
I'm out!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:13:53 PM by farmerbob »

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »
Today I am walking on a rural road an notice a sign shot full of holes.

A local free shooting range was shut down because people were shooting everything but targets.

A gun club where I am a member is always sending email warnings about shooting target posts or pistol steel with rifles. They had to put up cameras. I tend to go when others are not there so don't have to keep looking over my shoulder. (Three year old lose on a live firing line. People shooting vegetables placed on the groung. A kid looking down the barrel of a loaded rifle as dad was sitting nearby....a few of many.)

I am all for rights...but there needs to be some respect from our side.

On a side note, GARY, in my observation from your posts: Very opinionated, often low informed and quick to jump on a soap box of compliance or more rules. For someone who thinks they are a supporter you are nearly part of the problem.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »
Does this web site know why I continually send money to national groups like NRA and GOA, rather than here?   The day I see people not attack other members here, ill support the group.