< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OC  (Read 4583 times)

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
OC
« on: July 06, 2014, 07:56:34 PM »
Update from Mayberry: here at our general store (Walmart to y'all) I've noticed 4 or 5 people recently OC handguns. It gives me a great filling of pride every time I see someone openly exercising there 2nd Amendment rights.

I just hope some knucklehead doesn't try to bring a long gun in and ruin what is truly a great thing.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: OC
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »
So only handgun owners have gun Rights?

Or you only get all swelled up with yourself when someone does it in the manner you dictate it must be done.

So, if a person only owns a long gun they don't have a Right to bear arms and have to standby and watch their wives and daughters raped and murdered?
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »
Well if you can explain how we defend our families when our guns are locked in our vehicles. This isn't rocket science. What they perceive as bad behavior means no one is armed.

I personally think Gary had a great idea, let them go to business that give them an okay for what there doing. I think it's tantamount to me carry only in posted business. Does that also meet with your approval?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:15:09 PM by farmerbob »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 09:55:22 PM »
Words of wisdom from the "GUN GURU"

The original self-proclaimed "Gunners' Guru" was Jeff Cooper, but Mr. Ayoob has certainly picked up the torch and carried it well. These are definitely words worthy of great consideration:

The gay rights movement didn’t make the strides it did by having its members have sex with each other in Starbucks, and wandering into a coffee shop or department store with a loaded military style rifle won’t make positive strides for gun owners’ civil rights. A small handful of attention whores have done huge damage to the vast majority of responsible gun owners.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »
Well if you can explain how we defend our families when our guns are locked in our vehicles. This isn't rocket science. What they perceive as bad behavior means no one is armed.

I personally think Gary had a great idea, let them go to business that give them an okay for what there doing. I think it's tantamount to me carry only in posted business. Does that also meet with your approval?

Organizing on friendly turf is a better idea. I'm not sure where this concept came from of making an ostentatious political statement on a neutral third party's private property. That's how you make them not neutral. If I run a coffee shop I get up and go to work for one reason: to make good coffee and sell it to people who want good coffee. I'm not going to work to host someone's political theatrics.

It's not just this "cause" but any cause I want to keep out of the marketplace. There are people who are passionate about the pros and cons of circumcision as well, but I really don't want them whipping out their Gentleman's Sausage and taking selfies in front of the biscotti tins.

The reason why a person is pleased to see an OC pistol at Walmart and dismayed to see an OC long arm is that the pistol is a defensive tool and the long arm is an offensive tool. Thus, OC long arm guy is telling the world he doesn't understand that fundamental difference, or doesn't have enough reverence toward something as wonderful as a firearm to care to demonstrate the difference to the public.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 11:57:06 PM »
I have a tire iron in my truck.  Big truck, big tire iron.

Would the management, shoppers, be happy to see me walk into Walmart holding a tire iron, as I walk around Walmart?

Do I have a need, to walk around Walmart holding a tire iron? 

If I am holding a tire iron, for my own feeling of well being, regardless of how it makes others feel, is it possible I could protect myself by different means, and still stay reasonably safe?  Say a concealed carry pistol?

If I have the ability to not ruffle the feathers of others, stay off everyone's radar, completely off, stay safe, mind my own business, do my business, and leave the environment untouched, why not do that?

I own 5 AR's.  Not the largest selection people own, but a pretty good slection, and I am well protected, in areas I need protection.

I do not expect in a million years, to need more Deadly Force in a typical box store in any Nebraska city, than I can CC on my body.    In thirty plus years of CC, in Iowa and Nebraska, in Beatrice, Lincoln, Omaha and Council Bluffs, I have never felt the need to blister the mindset of people around me, with a rifle on my shoulder.

Please, please, please stop the poking the stick at the bears in the zoo, as someday, a bear will reach through the bars, and change your day.

California, Texas, This retail chain, that retail chain, why not quit poking the bears, and work at getting along?

Nebraska is not 1950" Switzerland.   I am very much pro 2nd Amendment.  I am also very pro chocolate cake.   Lots of frosting.  O and ice cream.  French vanilla.    While I am eating chocolate cake, and vanilla ice cream, is it my right, to toss cake and ice cream, on others, while in my exuberance, to enjoy my right to eat, and if I get others  soiled, spoiled, and bothered, who cares, I have my rights?

(sorry to get worked up, but when I realize just how important Chocolate Cake and French Vanilla Ice Cream is to me, I get all chocked up)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:24:08 AM by Gary »

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 01:22:22 AM »

Or you only get all swelled up with yourself when someone does it in the manner you dictate it must be done.

So, if a person only owns a long gun they don't have a Right to bear arms and have to standby and watch their wives and daughters raped and murdered?

Yep.  And I also think the idiots who carry their long gun and stage photo ops are idiots who have done far greater harm than good.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 07:53:11 AM »
I'm not sure where this concept came from of making an ostentatious political statement on a neutral third party's private property.

From the anti-gun crowd?

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:57:58 AM »

Nebraska is not 1950" Switzerland.   I am very much pro 2nd Amendment.  I am also very pro chocolate cake.   Lots of frosting.  O and ice cream.  French vanilla.    While I am eating chocolate cake, and vanilla ice cream, is it my right, to toss cake and ice cream, on others, while in my exuberance, to enjoy my right to eat, and if I get others  soiled, spoiled, and bothered, who cares, I have my rights?

(sorry to get worked up, but when I realize just how important Chocolate Cake and French Vanilla Ice Cream is to me, I get all chocked up)

Gary, I'm the same way with Vanilla cake and Vanilla ice cream.  Yep, I go to Baskin Robbins and order vanilla.

Gunscribe, I can see where your coming from, but I'm going to have to take Ayoob's side.  Long gun toten' scally wags (the ones that do selfies in stores) aren't doimg us CC people any favors.  If all they have are long guns, maybe the should save up for a carry sidearm.

Edit: So if someone was to legally own a M60 machine gun in full battery, bazooka or shoulder fire weapon, it would be ok to carry those in any store that allowed open carry? I know this is in the extreme, just wondering when open carry becomes extreme.  End Edit.

This debate is like which came first, the chicken or egg. 

Think we're both right, just different theories.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:35:56 PM by Lmbass14 »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
I OC'd for the first time (ish) over the weekend. Maybe it had something to do with celebrating Kansas's latest Pro Gun legislative work having went into affect on the 1st.  Maybe I just felt like it. (and with the heat, it worked well. )
Anyway, first outing was in lil Superior NE, on a fuel stop at the local Casey's. Yeah, not a big risk, but broke my cherry, so to speak.
After carrying all over my hometown  for a couple days, we went to the next town over and ate.  As I walked into this great little Mexican joint and seeing the Families- with kids and elders, and knowing the owner was a great guy running a great restaurant, I simply untucked my (DPMS ) shirt and covered (most of) my .45 and holster, and sat with my right side facing the wall.  I simply did this out of respect for his business and the patrons.   (I sure didn't want to ruin any chance to get back and sample the Quesadilla San Jaun ;) )
Heckle me all you want, but respect DOES go both ways.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 09:51:07 AM »
I have absolutely no problem with those who wish to OC. I have done it on occasion prior to obtaining my CHP.

To those who ask my views, it is simply this: Have at it, but have respect for those around you.

As stated above, if all you can afford is an SKS in a plastic fantastic CrapCo stock, perhaps you should save up and spend $450 on a Ruger, or similarly priced sidearm.

Edit:   Mmmm...Chocolate Cake.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »
I think the guy (or committee) that issued the Target press release is smarter than the average bear.  The letter was very well done and points directly at the problem inside the issue of guns in public places like big box stores.   Open carry is the subject of that letter, not guns in general. 

As the saying goes, I do have a dog in this fight.  Several dogs.  I am very pro NRA, and I thiink the NRA has not been in support of "in your face" rifle toting people in shopping malls.

I am also a long time CC person.  My first permit goes back 3 decades.   In all that time, I have long time friends that do not know I carry.  It is none of their business any more than them knowing what goes on in my bedroom. 

If martal law hits someday and the country is torn apart with anyone wishing to put ausnder my constitutional rights, I will have no problem standing watch holding a long gun. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 12:37:20 PM »
O and frosting is critical.  That better half of mine sometimes wonders in with a bunt cake from sams club.  Well. I have two problems with that.  First, what's up with the big hole in the middle of the cake ?  Who designed that ?  Weight watchers ?   I can tell you for sure, I have no need for a giant hole in my cake. 

Secondly, this sams club bunt cake has a total mass of frosting that could get lost in your eye.   What is the point of frosting a cake, with almost no frosting on it? 

Hey, that sams club bunt cake is doing concealed carry frosting except it is peaking just enough to call it open carry frosting.  Lol.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »
http://www.nothingbundtcakes.com/

They have locations in Lincoln and Omaha and the "hole" in the middle of the little "personal-size" bundt cakes is filled with extra frosting:o  OMG the carrot cake ones with the cream cheese frosting are incredible.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
That does it, I am declaring tomorrow Open Carry Chocolate Cake day.    It goes without saying, the following days and weeks will be CCCC. 

Who's with me ?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »
That is just to "in your face" for me...I can only eat cake in the dark
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 04:49:09 PM »
Let no man ever say that Gary can't have his cake and eat it too. :laugh:

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
Just be careful you are not in violation of federal cake laws or you will have the Bereau of Cake, Cookies and Ice Cream raiding your birthday, wedding or holiday party.

The Extreme Cake Act of 1994 is still in effect and you still can't have more than two specifically defined decorations on any one cake baked after September 1st 1994.

Also it is illegal to cut a round cake into less than 10 slices. A sheet cake can be cut into no less than 15 slices or squares.

Bakers in southern states are required to report multiple cake purchases to the BCCIC within the same 5 day period.

All cakes being transported in public must be covered in such a manner that a reasonable man can not determine the contents of the package.

If any part of the cake becomes exposed it may result in a charge of brandishing.

In 2012 the BCCIC was granted further regulatory power over soft drinks as well.

Have fun with this one guys!
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM