< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Pistol Powder  (Read 4153 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Pistol Powder
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
Just a heads up, Guns Unlimited in Omaha has a whole bunch of Autocomp.  Not ideal for mild 9mm loads, but these days it's about all that's available.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Pistol Powder
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
DE has CFE Pistol. I have not used it but have looked at it and it seems be a all around powder.  Last time I looked they had 75ish lbs.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 03:36:55 PM »
I'll have to try that, I've heard some good stuff about it.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
Yeah so have I.... I wish I had the money to pick up a few lbs. I need to pick up rifle powder first. I wish the had h335. They have some other stuff that I think I'm going to pick up a lb yo try. It won't be as good and it's more expensive but it will make some good blasting ammo for CS IV. [emoji3]

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
DE has CFE Pistol. I have not used it but have looked at it and it seems be a all around powder.  Last time I looked they had 75ish lbs.

SWEET JESUS. I'LL TAKE IT!  Just bought 8 pounds.  It's not what I wanted, but have read good things about it, and will give it a try.  It may not be ideal, but it is a hell of a lot better than not having anything.

Thanks tstuart34!

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »
DE has a good website with live inventory. I check them out every day just to see what came in stock. You guys need to save a couple for me so I can pick them up when I get my school bonus sometime this month.

If you guys get a chance give a review on this stuff. How it loads shoots etc. I have two lbs of title group that I'm going to drop through.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
DE has a good website with live inventory. I check them out every day just to see what came in stock. You guys need to save a couple for me so I can pick them up when I get my school bonus sometime this month.

If you guys get a chance give a review on this stuff. How it loads shoots etc. I have two lbs of title group that I'm going to drop through.

I wouldn't expect them to last until ???.  If you need a couple of pounds, I could buy an extra two and hold on to them until you have the $$.

Fly

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:54:18 PM »
I wouldn't expect them to last until ???.  If you need a couple of pounds, I could buy an extra two and hold on to them until you have the $$.

Fly
Fly that is a hell of a offer but I could never accept. You are a stand up guy! Wow I am just amazed [emoji3].

I do know they probably won't last till I get my school $$$ but I have powder for now that should last me till there next batch shows up. Luckily I have 3 crazy loving kids to keep my range time low and my shelves filled.

Thanks again for the offer!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
Maybe we should turn this into a pistol powder availability thread....I'd rather let the fine ladies and gentlemen of the NFOA know when it's available, instead of the general public.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »
I will post up if I see more deals. I looked for powder while I was in Minnesota at some.of the local shops. They were all over priced and I just shook my head at them.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »
I will post up if I see more deals. I looked for powder while I was in Minnesota at some.of the local shops. They were all over priced and I just shook my head at them.

Now may not be the time to be shopping for deals (or even reasonable pre-panic prices) if you REALLY need powder.

I was doing the math and realized how little the powder contributes to the total price of a round.  Even if I payed double the pre-panic price, my cost would only go up $0.02383 per round or $2.383 per 100.  The 1# bottles of CFE are a little more expensive than what I paid per pound with buying an 8# keg of WSF, and it sounds like I will likely be loading with 0.2 grains more CFE powder than the WSF, so my total increase will be about $0.004871 per round or $0.4871 per 100.

Not ideal, but I can deal with it so I can keep shooting.

Fly
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:38:23 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »
.50 ish cents per hundred is better then 50 for two more rounds buying factory ammo

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 10:40:05 PM »
.50 ish cents per hundred is better then 50 for two more rounds buying factory ammo

I'm not sure if I'm picking up what you're laying down there chief.  Though I'm extremely tired after all the fun today looking like a doofus at the Steel Challenge match, and I may not be understanding plain english.

Fly

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
Autocomp is a tad slow for the ancient .45 ACP.  Has to be loaded hot for best performance.

For now, I'll stick with my home brew powder: Cat fur, charcoal and cheap Scotch.  A little smokey but the RO's love the haze. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »

For now, I'll stick with my home brew powder: Cat fur, charcoal and cheap Scotch.  A little smokey but the RO's love the haze. 
Actually think they liked being able to see your bullets fly down range.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »
Actually think they liked being able to see your bullets fly down range.

Yep.  :)  I, of course, was much too busy watching my sights.  (Ahem)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline pksman

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »
GU got a shipment yesterday.  Longshot, tight group, hp38(only saw 8lb kegs of this), 800x.
Bought a 4# jug of tight group!  I am set for a while.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »
GU got a shipment yesterday.  Longshot, tight group, hp38(only saw 8lb kegs of this), 800x.
Bought a 4# jug of tight group!  I am set for a while.

The email I got from them said they received 700X, Hodgdon 110, HP38, Titegroup, Titewad, Varget, IMR 3031, IMR 4227, Winchester 296 & WST.

Fly

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
Anybody have any leads on accurate 5?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »
Anybody have any leads on accurate 5?

I've got this much AA#5:

3.5"diameter X .075" deep, measured in a clear plastic container.

Just poured it out from the original powder canister to measure it and see how much remained.

I've been using 5gr behind a 115gr 9mm BerrysBullet for very light 9mm target loads.   It has been on the shelf for a while but shoots just fine, as do most powders that have been properly stored.

There's just enough powder to mess around with a bit.   You are welcome to it for freebie if you wish.
    MHicks of this Forum very nicely gave me some Promo a few months back for free.   So I'd like emulate his generosity by likewise giving away the AA#5 if you want it.

Would have to figure how to get it down to Lincoln.   Maybe my Lovely Daughter-UNL Student would haul it down.   Hardly enough powder to make it worth a round trip to Omaha and back.

Your move.

sfg
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:04:18 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer