< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: And the DOPES are at it again .......  (Read 9520 times)

Offline H2O_King89

• NFOA Full Member
Open-carry group to dine in Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
From LJS

http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_d466c563-638b-591b-bf12-1d03c559fea9.html

The idea of a person openly, and legally, carrying a gun in the same restaurant his family eats in makes Ari Kohen nervous.

“Even if they’re the most careful people in the world, it’s a loaded weapon,” said Kohen, a political science professor with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

“I have no idea what might happen. I don’t know what their intentions are. Maybe they’re just out to have a nice dinner like I am, but I can’t read somebody’s mind. And I can’t prevent an accident either.”

That's the kind of attitude Nick Crawford of Nebraska Open Carry wants to change. The group plans to host its third Freedom Carry meetup -- attendees are encouraged to carry their firearms -- Thursday evening at HF Crave, 2801 Pine Lake Road.

Crawford said the group isn’t looking for attention. Rather, he said, its members want a chance to bond and to stand as positive examples of gun ownership.

“I want to show businesses the gun community is important and that we do care when businesses do and don’t allow carry,” Crawford said.

Read more at the lnik

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Open-carry group to dine in Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »
the comments on this story is ridiculous.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: And the DOPES are at it again .......
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
Oh really! Dopes? Care to explain that remark?
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
Nebraska and left leaning cities like Lincoln & Omaha don't have a ban on open carry, that is why these highly publicized events like these remind the powers that be, that we need to ban open carry and raise the training for CHP.

If your going to open carry your handgun just DO IT!!! Don't put it in the paper.  This is publicity we don't need.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:38:56 PM »
Nothing to explain .... they just seem like they need a hug ....  I know your position Gunscribe and agree with most of it.  I do not agree with the "hear ye hear ye we are gathering with our guns at so and so business establishment".  Get your buddies, strap your smoke wagons on and go out and eat.....quit making a production out of it ......

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »
Gunscribe and others are successfully swaying my opinion on this quite a bit, but I'm still really curious about a couple things.

1. How supportive was HF Crave about hosting this? Are they gung ho about open carry and want the event with political overtones to occur on their property? If so, great and I will eat there even more. If not, then it seems risky that they'll get drawn into a political fight that they weren't spoiling for.

2. Who keeps calling the liberal media ahead of the event and giving the JLS time to contact some impotent hand-wringing poli sci professor in advance? It would be much better if the LJS found out about it AFTER the event already occurred so they don't have time to go hunt down some hand-wringers for quotes in order to report it as a "controversy" when it wasn't.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »
Not to speak for anyone else, just what I have read.  I dont believe anyone sponsoring, coming to, or attending the event ever wanted to make a production out of it. 

No different than the monthly NFOA breakfast, except none of the bed wetters have found the NFOA facebook page to get alerted to freak out when we have breakfast at HiWay Diner. 

My understanding was that a NOC member contacted HF Crave and asked them if they would be open to having members come for dinner.  HF Crave said Thursday nights are slow and that would be a good time for us to have your members dine in our resturant. 

I dont think it was the intention of any NOC member to alert the media to what was designed to be a simple evening out for dinner with friends.

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:49:37 PM »
If your going to open carry your handgun just DO IT!!! Don't put it in the paper.  This is publicity we don't need.

^^^This.

Nothing to explain .... they just seem like they need a hug ....  I know your position Gunscribe and agree with most of it.  I do not agree with the "hear ye hear ye we are gathering with our guns at so and so business establishment".  Get your buddies, strap your smoke wagons on and go out and eat.....quit making a production out of it ......

Well said.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 12:50:42 PM »
"“They can dress it up all they want, but the fact of the matter is if someone drops a gun and a bullet goes into a 12-year-girl’s lung it is too late for their warm and fuzzy feelings,” said Gailey of Lincoln."

my triggers aren't that light..... are yours?

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:57:02 PM »

I dont think it was the intention of any NOC member to alert the media to what was designed to be a simple evening out for dinner with friends.

I kinda have to think it was either someone's intent or they have a mole in their midst.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:57:50 PM »
I notice a couple things in the story, I often wear black clothing.  Johnny Cash or Roy Orbison  inspired?  Maybe.  Also, an open carry event and no rifles? Is that organizers doing or at the request of the establishment?

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »
I kinda have to think it was either someone's intent or they have a mole in their midst.

I followed the link to some of their facebook "friends", and it appears that several of the loudest protesters against this dinner are both "friends" of NOC, AND Moms demand action, Nebraskans for peace, Nebraskans against gun violence, etc. 

Yes, there appears to be a mole, but it is an "anti" that saw the announcement among NOC friends and went "public" with it.  Several of the people commenting that they will NEVER patronize HF Crave are not even Nebraska residents...

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »
everal of the people commenting that they will NEVER patronize HF Crave are not even Nebraska residents...

Good... I'll eat a burger (or two or three) there for them.  Their burgers and fries ROCK ....

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
Typical liberal tactic; when you can not articulate or defend your emotional position with common sense and facts you resort to name calling.

Okay, I'm a dope.

I really am trying to understand your point of view. I just can't seem to get my head that far up my ass!
La Luz, NM

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 03:19:24 PM »
the comments on this story is ridiculous.

it's the LJS.  Lancaster county, a blue county. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »
Typical liberal tactic; when you can not articulate or defend your emotional position with common sense and facts you resort to name calling.

Okay, I'm a dope.

I really am trying to understand your point of view. I just can't seem to get my head that far up my ass!

I guess someone didn't agree with your point of view, so you turned to slander and name calling. NICE!
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »
Bob, What part of; He called me a DOPE and said there is no need to explain DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

I simply stated the truth - it is a liberal tactic

What name did I call him?

I admitted that I am a Dope and informed him that try as hard as I could I can't understand his position.

What part of my post is slander?

Please explain because as I have previously stated my Cranial/rectal inversion skills are lacking.
La Luz, NM

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
Sorry. We need to remember that we are all on the same side. I wish this whole OC vs. CC rift could just go away.

I mean no disrespect, yet another point of view.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »
Sorry. We need to remember that we are all on the same side. I wish this whole OC vs. CC rift could just go away.

I mean no disrespect, yet another point of view.
As long as the anti OC folks (read those that don't FULLY support the 2nd amendment) keep thinking the way they do this will never go away. Seems the anti OC folks are OK with arbitrarily interpreting the 2nd amendment, not following it's indisputable meaning. That is the same reason why I absolutely despise the Negotiating Rights Away organization that I am strong armed into supporting so I can be a member of my range.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:13:29 PM by 00BUCK »