< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Duty to retreat in your home  (Read 3848 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Duty to retreat in your home
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
Well it looks like we will remove the hypotheticals from the thread discussing this.

http://www.jrn.com/kmtv/news/1-injured-in-Monday-morning-shooting-274329471.html

This is a real case current (as of this morning) in Nebraska; not 20 year old videos discussing the laws of Florida which had a duty to retreat until recently, or what they do in movies.

One statement that will ring true, the homeowners life has just been changed.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Duty to retreat in your home
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
Y'Know..........

I just don't understand the propensity of Perps to kick in doors when they are attempting a home burglary.

It's noisy.   It announces bad intentions.   It tends to make a lotta racket.   It wakes up and annoys the dog.  It gives advance warning...........  To the Good Guys.

Anyhow, it happened again in this present case in Omaha.   And it happens all the time elsewhere.   All you gotta do is read the Armed Citizen section of NRA's American Rifleman each month and see how often kicking in the door is the preferred method of illegal entry.

Haven't these guys ever heard of a Cat Burglar??   Quiet, Sneaky, Stealthy..... all that.

Kinda makes you shake your head.   Sideways.

Go figger.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:53:26 PM »
Fi, Seems like the perp followed bad guy protocol. He rang the doorbell to make sure no one was home, but he didn't wait long enough. Impatience will ***** slap you when you least expect it. Or the home owner will put a cap in you.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »
He rang the doorbell to make sure no one was home, but he didn't wait long enough.

Of Course!

The old, "Is Ebenezer home?" caper.   With all its variations.   Fits together now.  Makes sense.

Any time one of Those Guys shows up at the door, good idea to get a license plate (if available) and always call the cops to check him out.

FWIW, you can always keep the handgun in your hand behind the front door.  Looks like you're holding the doorknob.   But you're not.   You're holding hands with Messrs. Smith & Wesson.

Kicking in the door.   Gonna ask the Perp, "And just how did that all work out for ya?"

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:53:05 PM »
As someone posted elsewhere- B&E in Omaha has become a high risk business. As it should be.
I love the neighbor's testimony.  I bet anti's heads are imploding all over the metro!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
perp has died

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
Omaha Local News has released (a) the name of the deceased Perp and also (b) the name of the Homeowner.

The Homeowner seemed to know how to protect his home and his 4-year old child who was in the house at that time.  Jeezzzz........  Broad daylight B&E.

I'm wondering if the Homeowner is a Forum member.  No way to determine at this point, of course.

Just wondering.

sfg

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »
Scary stuff.  My son used to live a few blocks from there.  Nice neighborhoods.  You never know anymore.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
It always strikes me as funny when my wife, my neighbor, my coworkers say "Its a nice neighborhood - nothing bad will happen here".

Guess what people?  If you are a bad guy wanting to steal stuff to sell for dope money.  Are you odds of getting valuable stuff higher from a $200,000 house or a $400/month rathole apartment?

Why did Willie Sutton rob banks?  Because thats where the money is.  Why rob a house in a good neighborhood?  Cause thats where all the expensive stuff is.

66bigblock

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »
It always strikes me as funny when my wife, my neighbor, my coworkers say "Its a nice neighborhood - nothing bad will happen here".

Guess what people?  If you are a bad guy wanting to steal stuff to sell for dope money.  Are you odds of getting valuable stuff higher from a $200,000 house or a $400/month rathole apartment?

Why did Willie Sutton rob banks?  Because thats where the money is.  Why rob a house in a good neighborhood?  Cause thats where all the expensive stuff is.

66bigblock

Yeah but they used to case the joint and break in when you weren't home. 

Cleaning up blood and guts in the house isn't as easy as getting a hose and a push broom.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »
Lots of people saying the homeowner is in deep poo poo because we have no Castle Doctrine in Nebraska.  I have done my best to inform them otherwise.   BUT.. the Omaha page was deleted my post!  Wow so much for balance.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 08:58:13 PM »
Lots of people saying the homeowner is in deep poo poo because we have no Castle Doctrine in Nebraska.  I have done my best to inform them otherwise.   BUT.. the Omaha page was deleted my post!  Wow so much for balance.

They don't want the truth getting out, they want the masses to be scared to defend themselves.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »
The bad guy is a multi time convicted criminal.  No doubt his upstanding kin will hire a bleeding heart attorney to make the life of this victim and his family PAY.   

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »
No doubt his upstanding kin will hire a bleeding heart attorney to make the life of this victim and his family PAY.
How often does this happen in Nebraska? I watch out for news like this and never hear anything after the shooting is ruled justifiable. I don't think the plaintiffs could find a sympathetic jury and lawyers won't waste their time on cases they can't win.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
How often does this happen in Nebraska?

More often than you think. It is not a major story and the media will not even report it most of the time.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
How often does this happen in Nebraska? I watch out for news like this and never hear anything after the shooting is ruled justifiable. I don't think the plaintiffs could find a sympathetic jury and lawyers won't waste their time on cases they can't win.
Besides having trouble finding a sympathetic jury there is Chapter 28 -1416: 28-1416.  Justification an affirmative defense; available in certain civil actions.

(1) In any prosecution based on conduct which is justifiable under sections 28-1406 to 28-1416, justification is an affirmative defense.

(2) The justification defenses provided for under sections 28-1406 to 28-1416 shall be available in any civil action for assault and battery or intentional wrongful death and, where applicable, shall be a bar to recovery.

So now what would they sue for, I would like to see someone try because of what it took to get this protection and the changes such a case would bring (OK for the sake of the individual involved I don't really) us the ability to really hammer this issue in the Legislature.  As things stand there has never been such a case here in Nebraska, a big part of why we have so much trouble getting these protections.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »
 My daughter lives 2 short blocks from the place,    glad I gave her a Ruger security 6, 357. with 125 grn XTP and 17 grains of 2400.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
Don Kleine has actually been a very strong pro-self defense county attorney .....

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:50 AM »
The home owner will walk.  As it should be. 

Ayoob has long maintained that anyone breaking into an occupied dwelling must be assumed to be armed and dealt with accordingly. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 08:34:33 AM »
Don Kleine has actually been a very strong pro-self defense county attorney .....
I think the Douglas County attorney's office has supported self defense for many decades. More than thirty years ago, an Omaha police sergeant told a group of us that no one in Douglas County had ever been prosecuted for shooting a home invader. As far as I know, this hasn't changed. Several years ago, there was a gunfight between two gang members. The loser was the one who started the fight. The county attorney at the time (before Kleine) reluctantly ruled that the winner's actions were justified saying that even a gang member was entitled to defend himself.