< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: US Senate Race  (Read 3570 times)

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
US Senate Race
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »
US Senate race.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2014/nebraska/election_2014_nebraska_senate

We need to get our support behind Sasse. I listened to a Senate
forum last night and Dave Domina sounded like Harry Reid's wet dream. Domina was bad mouthing the NRA and talking how handguns are endangering women and how we needed more checks on gun purchases.

Sasse has a A rating from the NRA.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
Re: US Senate Race
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/09/13/Gabby-Giffords-Gun-Control-For-Women-s-Sake-Now

Domina was hinting about this and I believe the Libs are going to use the lack of gun control as a attack on women.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
+1000

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »
US Senate race.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2014/nebraska/election_2014_nebraska_senate

We need to get our support behind Sasse. I listened to a Senate
forum last night and Dave Domina sounded like Harry Reid's wet dream. Domina was bad mouthing the NRA and talking how handguns are endangering women and how we needed more checks on gun purchases.

Sasse has a A rating from the NRA.

I will have some Ben Sasse swag on my table at the Fremont Gun show this weekend if anyone wants to stop by.   8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 04:36:23 PM »
Sasse will certainly replace Johanna in the "Lack of Charisma" department. Watson had me really intrigued.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 04:45:48 PM »
I saw the debate too. 

I was for Sasse before the debate began, but I wasn't happy with Sasse's comments concerning NAFTA and "free markets", of which there are none. 

Why is he in favor of NAFTA and the current "free markets" situation?  Because raising the "standard of living" of millions of others around the world (his words),  like the Chinese, is supposedly good for the economic condition of the US.   I don't know what he is smoking but our economic condition is the worst I can recall during the last 50 years and raising standards of living of other nations hasn't done anything for the US and doesn't make the world safer. 

Over 92 million Americans of working age are now not working.  Many are on government subsidies, putting those who are working under greater pressure to make up the lost taxes.   Extracting more taxes from those still working is apparently successful because the US reported a record in tax revenues so far this year,  $2.66 Trillion Dollars.  Despite that record for revenues our government is also borrowing $589 Billion because they are still spending more than they are bringing in, a financial tactic they have continued to use for decades, and one which American taxpayers cannot use.

I don't care what Sasse's position on the 2nd Amendment is.  If our economy collapses it won't matter.  What matters to me is a candidate's position on  ALL of the Constitution.  Failing to adhere to it is the root of all of our problems in this country.   Lip service to the 2nd Amendment isn't sufficient to impress me.

I care that a candidate supports ALL the Constitution, as it is written.  Of the five only one met that condition in that debate, Watson.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:49:00 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
Now GreyGeek that is something you and I are in strong agreement over.  Something about Sasse BOTHERS me. I can't quite put my finger on it but having been The Fort's CoS (strike 1), held nebulous positions in Bush Administration (strike 2 ....and I am one of 43s biggest fans when he was our Gov in TX), and conveniently coming back to NE ala Chuck "You" Hagel (kind of a strike 3)  makes me nervous....I hope I am wrong, but fear once again a choice between two evils.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
We'll just have to wait and see how things shake down but I'm afraid that a vote for anyone but Sasse will be a vote for Domina and gun control, after all Domina says he has a  shotgun and enjoys to hunt.

A shotgun and the ability to hunt, well that pretty much sums up the 2nd. Amendment, what more could we want.

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 09:42:13 PM »
Wiki claims only 0.6% of Senators since Reconstruction have been Independents.  I can't imagine an indi candi making any headway here without a longterm effort that's supported by well known R and D figures.  Imagine a Tom Osborne type as an indi... that might work.

In recent years, Independent Senators Sanders, Lieberman and King have all caucused with the Donkeys.  No thanks.

Since it's time to reload, I'm brassy for Sasse.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
I believe it only takes 4000 petition signatures to get on the state-wide ballot for Senator.

I'd bet a guy in an orange jumpsuit could get that many signatures over a few weekends set up at a shopping mall.  Not very confidence-inspiring in qualifications to me.   ::)

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 06:18:40 AM »
I'd bet a guy in an orange jumpsuit could get that many signatures

Kind of improvement over many of the knobs up there now.....they've just not been caught ..... yet.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »
Personally,  I don't think it matters any more who we vote for or who gets elected.  The country has already been driven down the road and off the economic bridge, which collapsed six years ago.  We are in free fall right now and just waiting for the impact at the bottom of the gorge.  The "statistics" the Bureau of Labor gives us are pure lies.  Only 6.1% of all working age Americans unemployed?   Sure, IF you count only the ones that are still looking for a job and haven't given up, which is exactly how the government is spinning the situation.
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/37-reasons-why-the-economic-recovery-of-2013-is-a-giant-lie

Right now it is NOT a question of IF there will be a major collapse, only when.   Five to twenty million  illegal aliens that have flooded across our southern border won't make job hunting any easier and will put substantial pressure on the welfare, Medicaid, Medicare and social security funding, all of which will collapse.   My best guesstimate: between now and 2017.  Probably right after the 2016 national election, when the displaced Democrats  can spin up the collapse as the fault of the "Far Right", which they would anyway even if they did get re-elected to the WH and both houses.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:16:23 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »
I'm not a Sasse fan. I don't trust the guy and he strikes me as someone who only wants to be a career politician. I'll vote for him though, because Domina would be terrible. I just don't plan on having high expectations for Sasse.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 11:34:53 AM »
I will admit to not being very involved in the elections this year since I am on the road a lot and so I don't know a lot about the candidates, but I can provide some personal experience with Domina.  I used to do work for a company in Omaha that had a support contract with his law office, back when it was much smaller and I was much younger, and my experience with him was that he was more concerned with himself and not others and really not a very nice guy (trying to be polite here).  When I heard he was running for the senate I knew instantly that I would be voting for "the other guy" since this guy is just not somebody to be trusted with my interests when representing me.

Thanks for posting the link, farmerbob.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »
I'm not a Sasse fan. I don't trust the guy and he strikes me as someone who only wants to be a career politician. I'll vote for him though, because Domina would be terrible. I just don't plan on having high expectations for Sasse.

That sums up my feelings exactly.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 10:15:43 PM »
I'll vote for him though, because Domina would be terrible.

That's the dilemma we are always facing.  The lessor of two evils.  A Far Left Democrat or Left Republican.
I believe it is a false choice.  That's how we lost the 2nd Amendment.  The Dems took it three steps to the Left and the Repub drew it back two.  The net result is still infringement.  3,2,3,3,3,2 and finally we'll end  up  with repeal.

Voting for the lessor of two evils is how our current Republican Congress got elected and that is not working out too well for us.  I'd just as soon vote for a true Conservative and lose. 

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 10:39:48 PM »
In this case a vote AGAINST Domina is the correct vote. He's the biggest sad sack in Nebraska politics since John DeCamp. Currently he's spending his time defending some Ponzi schemers in Omaha who bilked people there out of a few million bucks. Great qualification for Senate.   ::)  I'm kind of surprised the Sasse campaign hadn't made political hay out of that.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 07:04:54 AM »
In this case a vote AGAINST Domina is the correct vote. He's the biggest sad sack in Nebraska politics since John DeCamp. Currently he's spending his time defending some Ponzi schemers in Omaha who bilked people there out of a few million bucks. Great qualification for Senate.   ::)  I'm kind of surprised the Sasse campaign hadn't made political hay out of that.

When I was a kid a young girl named Jill Cutshall was abducted in Norfolk.  Her body was never found but her clothes were.  Domina defended the man who abducted her.  I realize everyone has a right to an attorney, and I wouldn't want to live in a society where they didn't, but that doesn't mean I have to like the people who defend child killers.  I personally couldn't live with myself if I did that, and I have a hard time stomaching someone who does.  I realize I'm pulling a classic liberal move and letting my emotions guide me, but when it comes to those who would harm children I can't help it.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 08:24:10 AM »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »
In this case a vote AGAINST Domina is the correct vote.

Even if one has to write in Alfred E Newman!   I got an email from Domina today in which he accused Ricketts of being a tax cheat because he sought ways to reduce the tax burden of his business, and probably his personal income as well.  And, he brought up Ricketts father's fortune as an example of corrupt politics, as if the father has no right to contribute to his son's effort.

Domina doesn't tell his readers the difference between tax avoidance, which ALL OF US practice, including him, and tax dodging, which is illegal.  He also doesn't tell his readers that the Omaha billionare, buffett, contributes to his campaign, and if the truth be told I suspect that Soros does as well.  His website is run by "ActBlue", which seems to be the website manager of choice for about every Dem political site I've visited.   How much is Domina paying them to write and support that site?