< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Pic Of Omaha Headlines Today  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Pic Of Omaha Headlines Today
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:43:57 PM »
Today was a bad news day.  Headlines in Omaha were not the best.  Murders, homicidal psychopaths,  rapists and hibutial criminals that do crimes on both sides of lock up bars.

It looks like we have lost control folks. 

What is the solution?   

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Pic Of Omaha Headlines Today
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:50:36 PM »
The murder punk is just 18. Killed a jewelry store owner in his 70's with grandkids.   He robbed a bank earlier and was sought by LE but not yet found as family was hiding his whereabouts. 

So if the family had done the right thing, another family would still have a grandfather.   I hope the investigation goes long and hard on this one.  Put all these criminals in jail and throw away the keys.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:29 PM »
Put all these criminals in jail and throw away the keys.

We'll need more jails.

Build them.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:45:03 PM »
I'm not for building more prisons. Personally I believe in a liberal use of the death penalty. Not as currently 'implemented', but swiftly carried out for a broad range of offenses such as (but not limited to): Murder, child molestation and most repeat violent offenses of any kind. I'm all for rehabilitation, but certain offenses earn you the right to die.

I have no illusions that our society would ever have the courage to actually do this, but I think those that prey on society should be killed by society. Are there contributing factors to criminal behavior? Of course, but getting a tough break in life doesn't allow you harm others.

As for property crimes I'd like to see restitution utilized. Paying a debt to society is great, but what about paying back the victim?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 07:26:24 AM »

What is the solution?   

The solution lies in how these people are/were raised.  Broken families, a lack of moral compass, no sense of their true place in the universe, no care for their eternal soul ... the list goes on.  We can't legislate any of this.  These are merely symptoms of a society in decline.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
Today was a bad news day.  Headlines in Omaha were not the best.  Murders, homicidal psychopaths,  rapists and hibutial criminals that do crimes on both sides of lock up bars. It looks like we have lost control folks. 

And he did it in a Gun free Zone too......

The owner of the building/s and land in that Strip mall has it and them all posted
"No Guns allowed"

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »
Are retailers allowed under the terms of their lease to defend themselves? 

So the kid is a smart hudlum.  Rob a bank, gun free zone.  Rob a strip mall, gun free zone.    Cuss word deleted.  Hope this punk rots in prison for a long time.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »
Just in.  Omaha WH.   The punk got away with 19 grand in cash at the bank.  19 grand!   What, he burned through all that cash in a few days and needed more?   I think he wanted to kill someone, make a name for himself on the streets.   This was not a robery gone bad, this is a child gone bad.  Just 18 years old. 

So, we get to spend millions of dollars on his defense and caretaking over the next 25 years of his life to try to complete a death penalty. 

150 years ago, a tree outside town following a trial the next day and it was over.   We really need to fix our broken justice system in this country.  This mothers son does not deserve our tax dollars to this degree. 

I dont think we need more prisons, we need more punishment.  Prison today are fancier than hotels I have stayed in.  AC, football games on big screen TVs, central heating, three hot meals a day.

We incarcerate more people in this country than any place on Earth.  We need to start education for small kids about right and wrong.  Respect for elders.   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:22:21 PM by Gary »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
.....  This was not a robery gone bad, this is a child gone bad.  Just 18 years old. 

So, we get to spend millions of dollars on his defense and caretaking over the next 25 years of his life to try to complete a death penalty. 

At 18 he is NOT a child.  Neither was the strong arm thug in Ferguson, who was 19, 6'6", 295 lbs, who had just strong-arm robbed a tobacco store.

In 1987 I was asked by the York County Attorney to investigate a murder that took place near Henderson.  A 14 year old adopted boy, Sydney Thieszen,  shot his 12 year old adopted step-sister in the head after she refused his sexual advances and said she was going to "tell mom and dad".  He had been molesting here for a while but she was beginning menses and was afraid she might get pregnant.  She took what she thought was the lesser of two fears.

His attorney was calling it an accident and wanted 3rd degree.  The state wanted 1st degree.   My investigation uncovered proof that he had molested her after he killed her.  His attorney immediately agreed to a 2nd Degree deal and the boy was sentenced to 40 years, instead of the death penalty.  Nobody wanted to execute a boy, even for murder.  The case never went to trial.

Ten years later, in 1997, the Chief Justice of the NE Supreme Court threw out all 2nd murder convections, it is rumored he did that because his grand nephew had a 2nd degree drunken driving manslaughter conviction.   

Jail house lawyers advised Thieszen to get a retrial.   Apparently they told him that the detectives had retired and moved out of state, or died, evidence was missing, etc...  Sydney Thieszen got a new trial.  I had kept my evidence under "chain of custody" (lock and key) for the entire 10 years. I still have it.

The state went for 1st degree again.  I testified at the new trial in 1997.  Two psychiatrists testified that he had a pathological hatred of women and should never be released from prison.  (One of my college physics students, who later got a PhD from Dartmouth, took time out from school and was a guard on the block where Thieszen was housed.  He said that Thieszen put pictures of women on his cell wall and then defaced them by various means.  He was never asked to testify.)  The jury heard all the facts and returned a verdict of guilty of 1st Degree murder with no chance of parole.

All done and over with, right?  I would have thought so, too. Beginning in 2000, five "social justice" groups began pleading for juveniles with life terms without parole to get their sentences ruled as unconstitutional cruel or unusual punishment.   They succeeded.  In the summer of 2012 the SCOTUS ruled what they wanted.

I didn't learn about it until November of 2012, when a relative of my wife, who lives a few houses from the natural daughter of the family that Thieszen was adopted into told her, and she told me.  I contacted the NE Board of Paroles, and asked to be notified of any changes in his sentencing.  I never heard from them again, but I frequent their web page to see if there is any activity in this case.  Meanwhile, of the last 20 years, at yours and my expense, Thieszen completed course work for a law degree!  As a convicted felon he can never practice but he can continually file harassment cases if he ever gets out.  However, he has frequently made statements like "I wish I had thrown a toaster into her bath water", etc..., referring to his adopted mother.  The Thieszan family sold their farm home and went into hiding.  I quickly decided that I needed a CHP and a weapon.

More than two dozen prisoners were affected by the SCOTUS ruling. Some are pushing for commutation of sentence for time served. In Thieszen's case 26 years.  But, with his legal training he's seems to be calling all his shots.  He chose to seek hearing separate from the others.   After a lot of political court activity Theiszen got a court date to get "re-sentenced" last March.   Then it was moved to June 9th.  Then it was moved to September 10th, nine days ago.    There has been no notice of postponement and no news of any results of the court action that day.  The judge had set aside the entire day for that case.  The 5th District court of Nebraska has posted no news of any kind about that case.

Sasha Thieszen is resting in the box she was buried in 27 years ago.  Completely forgotten. No one seems to care that she cannot  buff up or earn a law degree at tax payer expense.   Her casket does not come equipped with cable TV, nor does she have access to free food, clothes, shower or restroom facility, none of which she could use anyway.  She will never know what it is like to find a husband, make a family, enjoy grandchildren and have a life.   She will get no "social justice".  Neither will her mother, father and step sisters and brothers, one of whom has declared that if Thieszen ever gets out of prison he will kill him.

150 years ago, a tree outside town following a trial the next day and it was over.   We really need to fix our broken justice system in this country.  This mothers son does not deserve our tax dollars to this degree. 

I dont think we need more prisons, we need more punishment.  Prison today are fancier than hotels I have stayed in.  AC, football games on big screen TVs, central heating, three hot meals a day.

We incarcerate more people in this country than any place on Earth.  We need to start education for small kids about right and wrong.  Respect for elders.   

Mudineryi has laid it out correctly.   It cannot be fixed because the majority of people do not have the moral foundation to see that it needs to change.   When the economy of this country collapses the problems will only increase.  See Detroit for a preview, and imagine Detroit is nation wide.  After people get good sick and tired of thugs, both the street and political variety, running wild perhaps they'll begin to reverse things.  I am not optimistic.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:12:27 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
At least the mom isn't pulling the - he's a great- give the shirt of his back kid.  She simply said I'm disappointed in him- I didn't raise him like that. 

I THINK I read somewhere else that she helped the police locate him- but I can't find that now.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »
The solution lies in how these people are/were raised.  Broken families, a lack of moral compass, no sense of their true place in the universe, no care for their eternal soul ... the list goes on.  We can't legislate any of this.  These are merely symptoms of a society in decline.

100% agree

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »
 I was in fear in school.  I would have never tried to get the attention of the school office staff, let alone the teachers.   I was like I see no children today.   We all were. 

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »
Not me.   I was kicked out school during the first grade, moved up to the 3rd grade and was kicked out of school that year, and the next  five.   But I was born on the wrong side of the tracks.  My only instruction from my dad was "If you ever get thrown in jail don't call me to get you out."  He gave the rest of his "instruction" with Willow branches, sticks, laths, anything handy, or his boots.

Back in the mid to late 1950s in Englewood (south Denver) we  boys dressed like the Fonz of "Happy Days", and felt ourselves as tough.   Walking down the hallways with steel taps on engineering boots clicking loudly, jeans so low only one's personality kept them up, a white T-shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and an Elvis Presley hair cut with a DA in back, if you accidentally bumped into someone they'd shout "choose ya", and hit you in the shoulder as if you had trashed their honor or violated some sacred ground.  There were fights almost every afternoon after school. It was insane.  There were 1,500 students  in Englewood Sr High, and 500 graduated in the spring of 1959.  A couple dozen got their diploma by mail because they had been identified as the people who followed the Greeley Wildcat's bus back to Greeley, stopped it on the way,  cuts its tires and broke its windows, and hauled some players out of the bus and beat them up.    Our star player for that game was pulled out of jail to play that game.  He was put in there because he got in a fight at a bar and someone shot a hole in his pant leg, while he was wearing them.  He was drunk.  We lost.  That's why the Englewood Pirates felt justified  in ambushing the Greeley Wildcats bus.    During the night of graduation nearly a dozen of my classmates died of various accidents caused by intoxication.  One fell too his death from the Red Rocks, another drown trying to swim across Chessman reservoir, and a few were killed in car crashes.

A year or two later the entire South Denver police precinct was arrested for operating a burglary ring.  They'd back a truck up a to a store, block off both ends of the street, and  proceed to haul stuff out of the store to fence later.  When people would ask what was going on they'd say they were investigating a robbery.  They were convicted and sent to prison.

Depending on where you lived and how much money you had, life could be easy or tough.  It was the same then as it is now.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 12:52:03 AM »
Our lives followed simular paths.  I was in choir,  sang a few solos and was 4th on the HS chess team.   

Sounds like we would have been best friends.  Lol

I am 6'7" tall and weigh about what a car weighs.  Lol.  BIG Show on Wrestling,  weighs less than me.   No one ever gave me a reason to look cross eyed at them.  Maybe I grew up gentle because I had no problems ever.   

I thought I might have my first fight some time ago. 

I was walking the dogs at midnight at my store, and I look up and here comes a big mean looking Indian my size easy.   Big tall rough looking guy.   I tried to get the dogs inside, he was 75 feet away and approaching on a private sidewalk marked no trespassing after hours.   One of the dogs sees this guy, and before I could scoop him up, he races up to this guy.  This is a Malteze 10 pounds soaking wet.   The Malteze runs and slides into home, looking straight up at this guy.  He could have kicked my dog like a football. 

I looked at this guy sternly and pointed to the street saying he was trespassing.   He looked at me, looked at the dog, and turned saying nothing and walled away. 

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »
I am 6'7" tall and weigh about what a car weighs.

I was 6'6" and could stand side-ways and disappear.  LOL!    Weighed about 155 lbs.   Between my junior and senior year my brother-in-law, probably at my sister's insistence, hired me to work on his siding and roofing crew.  When the summer started I could not carry a shake of shingles up a ladder with both arms.  By the end of the summer I could carry two shakes up the ladder.  At the end of the summer I weighed around 200 lbs, most of the addition being muscle.  At school others started looking at me differently and behaving toward me differently.  Fear or respect, I don't know which.  Because I was so skinny before I was never "chosen" for a fight.  I would have been no challenge.   Within the first week of my senior year a fellow deliberately bumped me in the hall and then made a loud production out of "choosing" me.  I didn't want to fight the guy but I wasn't going to be anyone's punching bag.    We met at the usual spot.  There were about 50 people there to watch the spectacle or were waiting for their scheduled fight.  That kid and I started circling each other, his fists clinched, mine open.  He'd take a wild swing, I'd slap his face.  He'd swing harder and miss, I'd slap his face harder.  The kids standing around began laughing at him, which wasn't what he was expecting.  He quit and walked away.  I was never chosen again that year.   One of the other kids on the roofing crew was a Mexican kid.  He couldn't read but he sure could fight.  I offered to teach him how to read if he would teach me how to fight.  I fought that high school fight with open hands because I saw what fists could do and I didn't want to hurt anyone.

My best friend in high school came from a close, religious family.  I was from the opposite kind.  Strange.  We decided to join the Army on their "buddy" program and after graduation went down to the enrollment center.  He passed the physical, I failed it.  Hammer toes.   He took the oath and I was shown the door.   4F.  I had never planned to do so, but the opportunity to attend college arose and I took it.  I had nothing better to do.  As my degrees accumulated my 4F (not fit for combat) gradually changed to 4Y (married, with dependents, but good cannon fodder).  In grad school the VietNam war was heating up and selective service was calling numbers for active duty.  Guys piled into colleges to escape the draft.  There were rules about the GPA if you were draft eligible.   After a quarter or semester exam you could see on the faces of the guys walking out of the examination room who was going to war and who wasn't. 

Later on, after I graduated and began teaching science, my height and weight (about 230 lbs) were a decided advantage in keeping discipline, even though the kids didn't know, and I didn't tell them, that it would have been illegal for me to even physically touch them.

Now, at 73,  I am about 245 lbs.  Most of the muscle has turned to fat and the brain has turned to slush.  :(

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »
Interesting dialogue up above.

Now to Phantom's point:

And he did it in a Gun free Zone too......

Not to mention the fact that the Perp is 18 years old, thereby making it illegal for him to possess a handgun in Omaha.

All of which speaks the Stark Truth about the effectiveness of gun laws.

sfg
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:19:28 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »
In the news today it was said the jewelry store had a gun but it was not released if the dead owner was trying to defend himself with it.  It was taken into evidence.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »
Not to mention the fact that the Perp is 18 years old, thereby making it illegal for him to possess a handgun in Omaha.

Technically speaking, he could possess one.  He just couldn't have bought it himself.

Minor detail, though.  Doubtful he got it legally in the first place.

--or does Omaha have an additional requirement that people be 21 to even possess a handgun?  I thought they just had their stupid Open Carry permit and registration nonsense.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
--or does Omaha have an additional requirement that people be 21 to even possess a handgun?  I thought they just had their stupid Open Carry permit and registration nonsense.

Here are the requirements to register a handgun in Omaha:

You must:

Be a citizen of the United States of America or a permanent resident.
Be over 21 years age of age.
Have never been convicted of a felony.
Not currently be the subject of an active Protection Order.
Not have provided false information on the registration request.
Not have any previous convictions for carrying concealed weapons or convictions for being a minor in possession of a firearm.
Not have any convictions within the past five years of assault, child abuse or violation of any provisions of Chapter 20, Article VII of the Omaha Municipal Code.
Not have any conviction for a charge of domestic violence including stalking or harassment.
Not have been adjudicated in the previous 10 years to be mentally ill or dangerous.
Not be a fugitive from justice, on parole, probation, house arrest, or work release.
Not have been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
Not be a user of or addicted to unlawful controlled substances, or have convictions relating to controlled substances, including possession of marijuana less than one ounce, or possession of drug paraphernalia in the past 10 years.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
One of the other kids on the roofing crew was a Mexican kid.  He couldn't read but he sure could fight.  I offered to teach him how to read if he would teach me how to fight.
Friends can be unusual people you find in unexpected places. I suspect he appreciated learning to read even more than you appreciated learning to fight.