< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Legislative District 12  (Read 1069 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Legislative District 12
« on: October 12, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »
I know that there are at least a couple of other 'active' NFOA members living in district 12, so I figured that I would share the info I have....

I have lived in district 12 for 5 years and I personally feel that the district has been mis-represented by Steve Lathrop for the last 8 years.

District 12 encompasses all of Ralston & is roughly 'F' street to Harrison street & 72nd street to as far west as 156th Street although the border especially to the west shifts...

Lathrop beat Jean Stothert by 14 votes to win the open seat in 2006 & he rose to be one of the more powerful state senators & was able to assist Ashford in not allowing pro gun bills to make it past the judiciary committee.

Well thank god for term limits!

The 2 candidates this year are Democrat Greg Hosch who is the at least part owner of Horsemans Park & Merv Riepe who is a retired Hospital administrator...

In my effort to be better informed & my desire to be a part of helping the best candidate win my disrtict....I have called, texted, emailed, & facebook messaged both of these guys & the 3rd guy who actually supported the constitution the most but did not mount a serious campaign.

Merv has been the most open to talk about gun rights and is a lifetime NRA member but I have been fairly disappointed by his lack of answering specific questions that I have about furthering our rights through the Legislature ....

Greg Hosch has avoided all of my specific questions with the exception of when he knocked on my door and I had him trapped on my doorstep... and even then he kept it pretty vague.

Both candidates have an 'A' rating with the NRA based on their answers since neither has a voting record or is an incumbent...

Neither one felt it was in their best interest to answer the NFOA Political Action Fund survey...

Just yesterday a number of residents in district 12 receievd a personal letter from Steve Lathrop endorsing Greg Hosch...talk about sealing the deal!

I guess that I just wanted to share what I had & remind everyone to make sure you pull the lever on election day! You know that out opposition has already been voting early at a rate of 3-1....

At the end of the day, MERV RIEPE is the best choice....and either appears to be aN improvement over Stevie Lathrop...

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Legislative District 12
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:12:56 PM »
I got to know Merv about 5 years ago outside of the political world....  I also have a little insight into the local political world and the legislature.... I also care about the 2A and how we can increase our rights in Nebraska.    From all of those perspectives I think Merv will be the right choice.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
I got to know Merv about 5 years ago outside of the political world....  I also have a little insight into the local political world and the legislature.... I also care about the 2A and how we can increase our rights in Nebraska.    From all of those perspectives I think Merv will be the right choice.

Thank you for your recommendation Dave... I think that so many who enjoy the right to bear arms do nothing to maintain that right! I have made it one of the main issues that I am concerned with even though other legislative actions could effect me more...

I was most likely disappointed because I was day dreaming of 2 candidates emerging from district 12 with one being the anti-gun super villain & the other being the 2nd amendment crusader who would fight every unconstitutional bill tooth & nail....

What we actually have is 2 guys who both profess to be pro 2nd Amendment but neither one is likely to introduce anything related to firearms in the unicameral...  this is probably actually a better scenario than possibly ending up with someone intent on passing bad legislation relating to firearms...

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »
I am beginning to wonder..... Merv Riepe said in an interview in todays Ralston Recorder that if elected he would like to serve on the Health & Human Services Committee in the legislature & Healthcare would be his #1 priority.

Greg Hosch said in the same article that removing the good time law would be one of his main priorities which I strongly support & gave him an earful about when he came to my door.

Then I arrive home from work & got my Greg Hosch mailer today....& he has his NRA endorsement on the flyer!  Although I don't put a lot of stock into an NRA endorsement, I absolutely respect the fact that he isn't scared to include it. 

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »
Remember that Merv is a retired hospital administrator the health and human services committee would be his area of expertise.  Since both candidates were endorsed in the primary and neither in the General I'm more wondering if Hosch isn't trying to blur the record.  There is a long history of progressive candidates running in the Omaha metro saying they are conservative and getting people or organizations to try to get conservative credentials Makes me a little concerned when these things come up.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
I have heard about the election time conservatives......from both parties for that matter! 
In this race, if both candidates were running as republicans.....As a Pro-Rights voter, I would vote for Hosch based on his answers, actions, & responses thus far....

But I am going to vote for the party that better represents the Liberty & Firearms freedoms that we enjoy!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
I have heard about the election time conservatives......from both parties for that matter! 
In this race, if both candidates were running as republicans.....As a Pro-Rights voter, I would vote for Hosch based on his answers, actions, & responses thus far....

But I am going to vote for the party that better represents the Liberty & Firearms freedoms that we enjoy!

This is why our non partisan legislative elections are a pain, too many people run like they believe in what the other party stands for to get elected, since its not on the ballot or anyplace....