< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reloading Class/Lessons  (Read 4534 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Reloading Class/Lessons
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:22:02 PM »
I would really like to learn to Reload my own ammo....not necessarily to save $, more  just to know in case I need the skill in the future! 

Other than reading a few articles & watching a few youtube videos I know very little about the process.

I would like to know what setup & supplies to buy in bulk...

And I would really like to pay an expert in the area of Reloading to teach me how to safely do it.

Is there a local class for this Or would I be better off with one on one instruction?

This is something that I would like to learn this winter.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!   

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Reloading Class/Lessons
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
sfg, where are you? 

He and unfy gave a class I attended a couple years(?) ago.  Maybe he would do it again with enough interest.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »
sfg, where are you? 

Lurking around here and there on the Forum, as usual.[/b]

unfy is temporarily out of the loop, but working his way back in.  We all hope it's soon.

Not sure where jfade is located.   Reloading classes are held in Omaha area.  We did have some folks travel from Lincoln last coupla times.

So let's start thinking about the possibilities here.  One issue is that the space we previously used in Papillion is no longer available.

Someplace to set up a reloading bench will be needed.  Maybe Papillion Gun Club.

Clock ticking.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »
Handyman Joes can provide the space.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »
Handyman Joes can provide the space.

We have the beginnings of a plan!

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »

We have the beginnings of a plan!

sfg

Do you have a bench that is easily moved/set up?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 03:26:39 PM »
Do you have a bench that is easily moved/set up?

Yes, I do.

Nice, small, sturdy reloading bench w/a press on it donated by Altheman2 of this Forum specifically for the Forum reloading classes.

Easily transportable.

I haul the other reloading equipment as well.   Got it pretty much down to a system.   Use a checklist and all that rational organization stuff.

With your (Mudinyeri) help, what we need now is five (5) enrolees and a date.

In the past, we've charged $20Buck$ per session, mostly just to have a token payment and pay for various expendables.

Would be nice to have unfy back in the loop; he's a Very Steady Hand.

sfg

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
With your (Mudinyeri) help, what we need now is five (5) enrolees and a date.

sfg

Looks like Justin is a go.  Just need four more.

How long do you think the class will go?  Do we need a full day, like a Saturday, or just a few hours in the evening?

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »
For $20, if the date works, I am in for the class.  Something I really want to learn and eventually do.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »
Do we need a full day, like a Saturday, or just a few hours in the evening?

The latter:  few hours in the evening.

Seems like last tiime we ran it something like 6:30-9pm.

Basics: 

>Shooting undoes the cartridge assembly.  Takes it all apart.
>Reloading takes the empty cartridge case, drives out the primer, puts a new primer in the case, loads the case w/powder, seats a bullet, and you're done.

Now----the Devil is in the Details and Safety is First.   Details are myriad, but you get the idea.

Disclaimer:   Anyone who chooses to take this course will be taking it from the Infamous Guy Who Blew Up His Springfield XDM40.

sfg

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
"Anyone who chooses to take this course will be taking it from the Infamous Guy Who Blew Up His Springfield XDM40"

I will finally get to meet the Legend!

I am definitely in for the class.  Will i know enough at the end of this to begin reloading on my own or would further instruction be beneficial?  Thanks
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »
Will i know enough at the end of this to begin reloading on my own or would further instruction be beneficial?  Thanks

Yes and Yes.

(Certainly, I'm still learning.   There's no end to it.  Especially safety reminders.  And if you really want a serious reloading pro, see Shooter.  He loads some of that exotic stuff that you can't buy at WallyWorld.)

sfg

Offline LeeM

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »
SFG,

You gonna bring a shotshell press with ya?

LeeM
01 Firearms Dealer
Buy-Sell-Trade-Transfers
Q MAX Products Dealer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
You gonna bring a shotshell press with ya?

Well, that's in another part of the reloading curriculum.

But we sure should be thinking about it.

We've heard about Native Americans doing the Rain Dance.....
Maybe us Other Native Americans should do a Shotgun Powder Dance.
Like:   Hiya-Hiya-Hiya-Hiya................RED DOT!!!!!!!

sfg

Offline LeeM

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 08:44:32 AM »
A few suggestions for starting reloading.

1. Get a reloading manual, or 2 or 3, going to need it anyway, most all have beginner instruction at the start of the manual.
2. ABC's of reloading,good reading, excellent way to start.
3. Take SFG's class, always good to start with hands on supervision, and we all know he's been there. done that.

If I can be of help, need anything, just let me know, I'd offer space, but you've seen my reloading room, I could fit three people maybe. ;D ;D

LeeM
01 Firearms Dealer
Buy-Sell-Trade-Transfers
Q MAX Products Dealer

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
A few suggestions for starting reloading.
1. Get a reloading manual, or 2 or 3, going to need it anyway, most all have beginner instruction at the start of the manual.
Any suggestions on a quality book?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
I like the Hornady and Speer books.  But when discussing how good a given book is, it depends on what you are looking for.  Initially you want a book that explains the process in good detail.  Then you want one that has load data you will find useful.   You can either go with the bullet manufacturers data, or the powder manufacturers data.  So you may end up with a couple different books. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »
Any suggestions on a quality book?

My first response is to suggest Hornady's Manual of Cartridge Reloading, which is around $35Buck$ or so.  It covers pistol and rifle metallic cartridge reloading (shotgun hull reloading is a separate issue). 

I recommend Hornady's because it has an excellent discussion of interior ballistics; that is, what's going on in the firearm from the time the trigger is pulled until the bullet leaves the muzzle.  Read that section (with pictures) 3-4 times and you'll have a new appreciation for what happens hidden inside the action, chamber, and barrel.

As LeeM says above, later on you'll want to add another couple of manuals (Lee, Speer, Barnes, Lyman, Berger, etc.) because not all manuals contain workups for all cartridges at all bullet weights and all velocities with all powders.  Also, they rarely agree across the board, so it's nice to have a means to cross-check the reloading data and ensure that your reload is in the zone of safety.

YouTube videos are available.  Some are good; many are not.  The production quality often suffers, as might be expected, since the producers are usually amateurs, like all the rest of us.  And the narrators tend to drone on somewhat without providing any useful information.  You'll have to use your judgment on the videos by cross-checking with other videos, plus your own experience.

The various powder and bullet manufacturers post their reloading data on the web.  However, they usually offer little or nothing in the way of reloading process information.

sfg

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »
But Wait, there's More (on Reloading):

Looks like we are developing some interest in the reloading class.

We will need:
>A place/space  (Handyman Joe's/Omaha)
>A date            (Open:  Let's work on it.)
>A day             (Was Monday evenings in the past.  But...FLEXIBLE.
                           Except for Thursdays.  Trap league on Thursdays 'til
                           Thanksgiving.  How'sabout
                           Monday evening, November 10
?)
>Starting time   (Usually 6:30pm)
>Enrollees         (Five Wannabe Reloaders)
>Support           (Works better w/unfy.)
>Caliber            (Usually 9mm or .40S&W.  'Course, I'm known to like
                          .357Sig.)

Right now, for possible enrollment, we have:
jFade
mali

We'll need to work on the details from here.

sfg
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:16:03 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 10:57:01 AM »
YouTube videos are available.  Some are good; many are not. 

sfg

That gives me an idea.  Would you be willing to allow me to shoot video during the clinic and add it to the NFOA's YouTube channel?