< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed handgun size limits.  (Read 6259 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Concealed handgun size limits.
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
You would not want to be caught with you AR15 during hunting season anyway.  (If it's a .223/5.56) it would be hard to justify having it for hunting purposes, as at last check, that round is deemed not enough for deer hunting in NE.  An issue a couple of us were working on last year.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 02:14:01 PM »
Since the lenghts for a concealed knives was mentioned above as 3 1/2 inches, just beware
Hastings NE. Weapons City Code considers a knife worn under the clothes and having a blade of more than 3 inches as carrying a concealed weapon.   This is less than the 3 1/2 inches normal in the rest of the state. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »
(If it's a .223/5.56) it would be hard to justify having it for hunting purposes,

Legal Weapons:
Rifle - At least .22 caliber and delivers at least 900 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards (with factory ammunition, or at least, NG&P published literature so said in past years.)
(BIG GAME GUIDE/2014, p.41  NG&P)

SFG... anyway to get an exemption for my arms when wearing a jacket

Yes.   Carry your State of Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit when carrying your arms under your jacket.

Also depending on location and time of year you might also run afoul of Nebraska Big Game laws that cover certain center fire rifles and handguns that are considered capable of taking certain big game animals without a valid unfilled tag in your possession.

FIREARM RESTRICTIONS

During the November firearm deer season, only hunters with valid unfilled deer permits may hunt wildlife other than deer with centerfire rifles or centerfire handguns.....
(BIG GAME GUIDE/2014, p.38  NG&P)

[Note:  This provision was enacted to prevent hunters armed w/.308s and .30-06s from being in the woods during deer season, no deer tag, stating that they were "just hunting squirrels".]

===============================

FWIW,

sfg

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:29:30 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
It's not your arms, bullit, it's your fists which are the deadly weapons!

Not to mention the manner in which bullit completely shatters their confidence by his cool, steady, direct, unnerving, penetrating stare-down.

After which, nothing remains of the Potential Perpetrator(s) except.....Quivering Jelly.

sfg
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:50:50 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »
I haven't conducted an exhaustive search of the Game & Parks regs, but I have found location-specific examples of this. E.g., the regs for Gifford Point WMA:

That's useful to know---thanks, Clark.

I wonder.....if having a rifle in your car is sufficient for this to be an issue?  (For example, for people with trunk guns---is this enough to get you in trouble?)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
OK.....This thread is about Concealed Handgun Size Limits.

But this question:

isn't the knife prohibition limited to those with a blade longer than 3 1/2" ?

is related to this definition:

============================================================
28-1201. Terms, defined.
For purposes of sections 28-1201 to 28-1212.04, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) Firearm means any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or frame or receiver of any such weapon;

(2) Fugitive from justice means any person who has fled or is fleeing from any peace officer to avoid prosecution or incarceration for a felony;

(3) Handgun means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length or any firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;

(4) Juvenile means any person under the age of eighteen years;

(5) Knife means any dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto with a blade over three and one-half inches in length or any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds;
==========================================================

So anywhere a knife is prohibited, the prohibition apparently refers to a cutting instrument with a blade over three and one-half inches in length.

Unless such device is otherwise construed as "any other dangerous instrument....etc.....).

Now, Forum Lawyers:   Is that blade length measured on the straight blade length or along the curved edge of the knife blade?

Fun Thread, this one.

sfg

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »
A couple of thoughts..... SCOTUS did NOT make a ruling per se in the 2012 case cited.  They simply refused to hear... thus allowing it stand in California (correct me if I am wrong Citizen Clark).  Secondly, I agree with the CA SC as the warden was OBSERVING the alleged crime.  In my mind, that is RAS or PC. 
Finally, the reference from SFG would not seem to apply to jthapkido's post regarding driving to the range with your centerfire rifle during the 10 day gun season (in MY OPINION).  Again, I would think you would still have to be doing something OBVIOUS to attract the attention of the GW. 
Finally, can anyone provide a link the "wormhole" that seemingly contains all of the separate G&P rules and regs (and not the Big Game Guide .... the actual statutes)?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
do believe that last year the US Supreme Court granted game wardens a lot more power on search and seizure than normal LEO have. Case was out of California.

The US Supreme court did not take up the case, but let the California Supreme court decision stand, which I  doubt applies to Nebraska
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/laws/browse-chapters.php?chapter=37

Quite long winded and just plain long.

game laws are tricky in this state.

And yes a 223 is considered legal in Nebr. Just helped sight in 6 (AR's)  for deer season over the last 2 weeks.
Now the exception for the center fire rule are people actively engaged in farming or ranching. Otherwise a valid tag is required.

I do believe that what I said is that I wouldn't be driving the back roads with a loaded AR (Or any other deer capable firearm for that matter). Key word is loaded. Might be construed as a violation of game laws.
 If the rifle is unloaded and cased, you have no problem, such as going to the range. And no it wouldn't be considered concealed.
D.R

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 04:11:05 PM »
I still haven't seen any mention of any law, rule, or regulation about not having a rifle in your car during deer season.

Now the exception for the center fire rule are people actively engaged in farming or ranching. Otherwise a valid tag is required.

What rule is this? 

I do believe that what I said is that I wouldn't be driving the back roads with a loaded AR (Or any other deer capable firearm for that matter). Key word is loaded. Might be construed as a violation of game laws.

What you said was:
Quote from: DR4NRA
Also depending on location and time of year you might also run afoul of Nebraska Big Game laws that cover certain center fire rifles and handguns that are considered capable of taking certain big game animals without a valid unfilled tag in your possession.

What Nebraska Big Game laws would those be?

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
I hope someone will---this is the second mention of it I've seen, but the only G&P rules I can find regarding centerfire rifles during deer season (as an example) have to do with being able to hunt OTHER animals.  Nothing about possession.

Can someone cite this rule?  (For example, I'd like to know if I'm illegal during deer season when taking my .308 to the range...)
It is also against the law to CCW while archery hunting.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:01 PM »
I still haven't seen any mention of any law, rule, or regulation about not having a rifle in your car during deer season.

What rule is this? 

Game and parks regulations  pg.11, nebr hunting guide general.

FIREARM RESTRICTIONS

During the November firearm deer season, it is unlawful to hunt wildlife other than deer with a centerfire rifle or centerfire handgun.
EXCEPTION: This does not apply to a holder of a valid unfilled firearm deer permit while hunting in the unit for which the permit was issued. It also does not apply to a bona fide farmer or rancher who owns, leases, or resides upon such farm or ranch land or a member of the immediate family of such farmer or rancher while hunting on such farm or ranch land.
It is illegal to have or carry a loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle on any highway or roadway. A shotgun is considered loaded if there is a shell or shells in the chamber, receiver or magazine.

You driving back roads with a loaded AR or whatever during deer season without a tag, not farmer, or  rancher than you are a poacher.

The rest is in the link from last post.
Enjoy.
What you said was:
What Nebraska Big Game laws would those be?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:50:51 PM by DR4NRA »
D.R

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »
Game and parks regulations  pg.11, nebr hunting guide general.

FIREARM RESTRICTIONS

During the November firearm deer season, it is unlawful to hunt wildlife other than deer with a centerfire rifle or centerfire handgun.
EXCEPTION: This does not apply to a holder of a valid unfilled firearm deer permit while hunting in the unit for which the permit was issued. It also does not apply to a bona fide farmer or rancher who owns, leases, or resides upon such farm or ranch land or a member of the immediate family of such farmer or rancher while hunting on such farm or ranch land.
{snip}

You driving back roads with a loaded AR or whatever during deer season without a tag, not farmer, or  rancher than you are a poacher.

Um, no.  It says it is illegal to HUNT without a tag.  It says nothing about having a rifle in my car.  Having a rifle doesn't make me a poacher.

(Emphasis on "hunting" in the above quote mine.)

If for some reason I am stopped by a LEO of any type while I'm driving, and for some official reason they notice a rifle in my car, unless they can come up with any evidence of hunting, then I'm fine.  (Having a rifle isn't evidence of hunting.  And lots of people keep trunk guns.)

Anything other than this?  Because this isn't a rule, regulation, or law against having a rifle in your car during hunting season.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 08:28:19 PM »
Some game wardens think it's illegal to wear fluorescent orange during deer season without a deer permit.  :o

I have been hassled more then once for my deer permit just for wearing a lot of orange while fencing corn stalks during deer season. I tell them it's a safety issue and I'm trying not to look like a deer.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
I would like to find the actual codified statutes for the mysterious G&P "laws"....NOT what is written in the Big Game Hunting guide or the "snowmobile law" but what statute(s) one might be prosecuted under....otherwise this may be a good challenge for the NFOA and SAF.
Anyone ?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
I would like to find the actual codified statutes for the mysterious G&P "laws"....NOT what is written in the Big Game Hunting guide or the "snowmobile law" but what statute(s) one might be prosecuted under....otherwise this may be a good challenge for the NFOA and SAF.
Anyone ?

A problem here is that some of the statutes that DR4NRA linked to says that G&P may create rules and regulations. As such, what may be considered "force of law" has to ALSO be checked with the current rules and regulations.

I detest the concept of "regulatory authority" when there is little oversight or control. 

http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=37-308&print=true

http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=37-314&print=true

At least part of this second law requires a public hearing.  (Though nowhere does it say that said public hearing had to have any affect on the rule/regulation being heard.)  And at least these laws limit the power of rule and regulation to certain specified areas.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
Penalties for violation are bass-ackwards:

(5) Any person violating the rules and regulations adopted and promulgated or commission orders passed pursuant to this section shall be guilty of a Class III misdemeanor and shall be fined at least one hundred dollars upon conviction.

Geez Looeeze...............

And wherefore is the Upper Limit??

sfg

Offline lunchbox

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
The reason I asked originally is that I have an AK pistol that I would like to keep in my trunk or backpack if I chose to. Just wondering if it falls under my CHP. It has a barrel less than 16” and is intended to fired with one hand. I just want to make sure there is not an overall length limit.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 06:15:20 AM »
Anyone ?

Most of the statutes pertaining to the Game & Parks Commission are in Chapter 37: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/browse-chapters.php?chapter=37

You can find all current State of Nebraska regulations — including those promulgated by Game & Parks — here: http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 06:22:01 AM »
A problem here is that some of the statutes that DR4NRA linked to says that G&P may create rules and regulations. As such, what may be considered "force of law" has to ALSO be checked with the current rules and regulations.

I detest the concept of "regulatory authority" when there is little oversight or control. 

http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=37-308&print=true

http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=37-314&print=true

At least part of this second law requires a public hearing.  (Though nowhere does it say that said public hearing had to have any affect on the rule/regulation being heard.)  [...]

The principal law governing the rulemaking process is the Nebraska Administrative Procedures Act (APA), codified as Neb. Rev. Stat. §84-901 et seq.

In the governor's office, I used to work on regulations from agencies, boards, commissions, and other constitutional officers. The APA sets out the process for rulemaking and includes public notices, a public hearing, and review by the offices of the Governor and the Attorney General.