< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed handgun size limits.  (Read 6261 times)

Offline lunchbox

• Steel Benefactor
Concealed handgun size limits.
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
Im sure this has been discussed in length, but the search function here seems to be less than stellar. If I read correctly on the original 2006 legislation. A handgun that is allowed with a CHP in Nebraska is considered anything with a barrel shorter than 16” and made to be fired with one hand.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
Re: Concealed handgun size limits.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »
I just came across this and was surprised there wasn't even 1 reply.

That is an interesting little tidbit.

So, does that mean one COULD conceal a rifle, even without a CHP (since the H stands for Handgun, apparently)?

Or does that mean one cannot conceal a rifle at all?

Admittedly, concealing a rifle is difficult but not impossible.

Since having a rifle in a case is a form of "concealment" I would assume rifles are basically exempt then.

Makes my head hurt.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »
If I expect enough trouble that I have to carry a rifle,. I aint goin there,  I got a H&K 53 copy, 8.3 inch barrel 223, but damn, if you expect that much trouble, you better be going in as part of a fire team,

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:08:42 AM »
Title 272 Chapter 21 002.07   "Handgun" shall mean any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length or a firearm designed to be held and fired with one hand.

MY OPINION ... the intent of the above statement would DISALLOW the concealed CARRYING of a long gun .....  that being said, it would be allowable to carry an AR/AK variant pistol .... and that's a lot of firepower :)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
So, does that mean one COULD conceal a rifle, even without a CHP (since the H stands for Handgun, apparently)?

Let's Look it Up:
==========================================================
28-1202. Carrying concealed weapon; penalty; affirmative defense.

(1)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any person who carries a weapon or weapons concealed on or about his or her person, such as a handgun, a knife, brass or iron knuckles, or any other deadly weapon, commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.

FYI,

sfg
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:38:44 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:34:07 AM »
"or any other deadly weapon, commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon."

SFG... anyway to get an exemption for my arms when wearing a jacket ?

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
This may help, I am under the impression that the long gun is loaded while cased inside the vehicle. Kind of vague but it would depend on the officer and Prosecutor.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1202

(1)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any person who carries a weapon or weapons concealed on or about his or her person, such as a handgun, a knife, brass or iron knuckles, or any other deadly weapon, commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.

Also depending on location and time of year you might also run afoul of Nebraska Big Game laws that cover certain center fire rifles and handguns that are considered capable of taking certain big game animals without a valid unfilled tag in your possession.
D.R

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »
Will you elaborate on this? 

"Also depending on location and time of year you might also run afoul of Nebraska Big Game laws that cover certain center fire rifles and handguns that are considered capable of taking certain big game animals without a valid unfilled tag in your possession."

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »
"or any other deadly weapon, commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon."

SFG... anyway to get an exemption for my arms when wearing a jacket ?

It's not your arms, bullit, it's your fists which are the deadly weapons!   Have you registered them and would you violate the law wearing gloves?  :)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 09:33:04 AM »
Let's Look it Up:
28-1202. Carrying concealed weapon; penalty; affirmative defense.

FYI,

sfg

If I recall correctly, which is getting increasingly more difficult to do, isn't the knife prohibition limited to those with a blade longer than 3 1/2" ?  Otherwise, anyone carrying an ordinary pocket knife, like the common swiss army knife, is breaking the law.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
I believe the Nebraska knife limit is only 3.5", as some here told me when I moved in-state and was sorting out my stuff to see what's legal and what isn't. If it's shorter than 3.5" you can conceal it as it isn't considered a weapon.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 09:45:47 AM »
Title 272 Chapter 21 002.07   "Handgun" shall mean any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length or a firearm designed to be held and fired with one hand.

MY OPINION ... the intent of the above statement would DISALLOW the concealed CARRYING of a long gun .....  that being said, it would be allowable to carry an AR/AK variant pistol .... and that's a lot of firepower :)

Easily concealable...  ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »

"Also depending on location and time of year you might also run afoul of Nebraska Big Game laws that cover certain center fire rifles and handguns that are considered capable of taking certain big game animals without a valid unfilled tag in your possession."

Well let's just say that I wouldn't want to get caught driving around the back roads of Nebraska with a loaded AR in the car during firearm big game season with out a valid tag as that could open up a big can of worms. Think possible poaching/ illegal firearms possession depending on the mood of the GW/LE at the time.
D.R

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »
Well let's just say that I wouldn't want to get caught driving around the back roads of Nebraska with a loaded AR in the car during firearm big game season with out a valid tag as that could open up a big can of worms. Think possible poaching/ illegal firearms possession depending on the mood of the GW/LE at the time.

That is an interesting opinion ..... my personal comments are 1) they would have to know I have it (e.g. RAS or PC to search my vehicle) unless I was in the act of hunting with it and 2) have  WHOLE lot evidence to support that I was actually hunting with said firearm.   Again, an interesting subtopic for conversation....

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
Be glad to discuss it later. Being at work it's kinda hard on my phone to answer, but do believe that last year the US Supreme Court granted game wardens a lot more power on search and seizure than normal LEO have. Case was out of California.
 Also do believe that they can confiscate the weapon by using the federal Asset Forfeiture law based on suspicion.
D.R

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »
I have no argument of seizure of a firearm when a crime (or suspected crime) is committed and federal law would not really matter per se.  I am curious in your citation of the SCOTUS case or any other citation outside a personal opinion (not trying to be a jerk or argue with that comment either)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »

I hope someone will---this is the second mention of it I've seen, but the only G&P rules I can find regarding centerfire rifles during deer season (as an example) have to do with being able to hunt OTHER animals.  Nothing about possession.

Can someone cite this rule?  (For example, I'd like to know if I'm illegal during deer season when taking my .308 to the range...)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
Im sure this has been discussed in length, but the search function here seems to be less than stellar. If I read correctly on the original 2006 legislation. A handgun that is allowed with a CHP in Nebraska is considered anything with a barrel shorter than 16” and made to be fired with one hand.

"Handgun means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length or any firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand."

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2429

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
D.R

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »
I hope someone will---this is the second mention of it I've seen, but the only G&P rules I can find regarding centerfire rifles during deer season (as an example) have to do with being able to hunt OTHER animals.  Nothing about possession.

Can someone cite this rule?  (For example, I'd like to know if I'm illegal during deer season when taking my .308 to the range...)

I haven't conducted an exhaustive search of the Game & Parks regs, but I have found location-specific examples of this. E.g., the regs for Gifford Point WMA:

019.08B3 The use or possession of centerfire or rimfire weapons is prohibited.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:05:19 PM by CitizenClark »