< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Thoughts on the .44 Magnum Desert Eagle?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Thoughts on the .44 Magnum Desert Eagle?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »
If you get a Desert Eagle you might also want to get a four wheel cart to haul it around on since it's too big to carry otherwise.  Also, any problem with grip could be fixed by putting a stock on it, which wouldn't hurt anything since it's already so big.  And then you would need to put a longer barrel on it to make it legal, which would also improve ballistics.  And of course once you did all that you'd have a carbine, which is a more realistic form for something so big to take.

I had a Ruger Redhawk .44 that I really enjoyed shooting; one of the most fun guns to shoot I ever had.  I remember shooting down at floating ice in a stream and how big things always happened when I pulled he trigger, even at ranges that were long by pistol standards.  I finally sold it though and bought my first Glock 9mm with the money because I wanted something more practical.  But for the purpose you mention I'd think a .44 revolver would be fine.

I'd like to add my vote to those for the 10mm Glock.  I have one, and it's an excellent pistol if you want a combination of stopping power and firepower in a pistol that's not too big to be easy to carry.  If I remember right the size, weight, and capacity is very similar to the Beretta 92F, the difference being that the Glock 10mm is hugely more powerful. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »
Hi Mott,
I owned one in .44 for about ten years and put a lot of reloaded ammo through it. It was very accurate and reliable if you understood the ground rules for loading for it. I think I still have all the loading data I worked up. I carried it for hunting and did a lot of shooting with it at 100 yards just for fun. But like many others here sold it off to buy something else. I think that is what you might want to gather form most of the posts here is that its a great firearm but just limited enough by its size and weight that many who have owned them let them go at some point. If you do pick one up get it used and have fun. If you decide to pass it on they do hold their resale value well enough that you can recover most of your investment. Oh ya, and drop me a note and I can fill you in on how to live with it. ;D 

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 08:41:09 AM »
Since you are more inclined to get a semi-auto, have you considered .460 Rowland?  There are drop-in kits for many popular platforms (1911, Glock, XD). 

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 08:54:15 AM »
A friend of mine had one, made the mistake of firing a box of unjacketed bullets through it and had nothing but problems with it afterwards.  It would constantly jam due to the slide not coming back far enough to fully eject the fired case or pick-up the next round.  I thought it was oversized for what it was and would rather carry a revolver if I need the power of the 44.  Both Taurus and S&W have 5 shot 44 mags in a K-Frame sized gun.

John K

Yep, lead fouling in the gas ports from gas cutting on the plain cast bullets. Until the gas passages are cleaned out it short cycles. Only JHP and FMJ bullets worked in mine. The fine print in the owners manual states to stay away from cast. I wouldn't even recommend gas checked slugs.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »
I'm not dead-set on a semi-auto, just a preference thing. I have a .22 revolver and it's a pain to clean, probably because it's a .22 more so than being a revolver but it's tedious. The .44 Magnum revolvers I've tried in the past were a pleasure to shoot, but I didn't have to clean them afterwards  :D

I will most likely look at a 10mm semi-auto first for hunting use, and try to pick up something magnum before my next Colorado camping trip. It may be a revolver, may be a semi-auto, just gotta see what I can try first.

I didn't realize how unwieldy the Desert Eagle is, but so many reviews are on the .50 AE model so maybe the .44 isn't as bad? I would definitely have to try one before buying though, I'd hate to spend that much on a pistol and not be able to use it for the intended practical purpose.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 04:17:57 PM »
Still have that Glock in 10:)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 05:17:57 PM »
When I was in graduate school .44 magnum revolvers with 12" barrels were all the rage in the shooting mags.  A fellow student bought one.  On the range,  on his first shot, the recoil broke his wrist.   A week later, on the range again, he broke the wrist in his left hand attempting to shoot it. 

Two times, two limp wrists.

He never said another thing about that .44.   Three or four years later the movie "Dirty Harry" came out.

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »

I didn't realize how unwieldy the Desert Eagle is, but so many reviews are on the .50 AE model so maybe the .44 isn't as bad? I would definitely have to try one before buying though, I'd hate to spend that much on a pistol and not be able to use it for the intended practical purpose.

I am not 100% positive, but, I am pretty sure the .50 and .44 use the same frame as its a fairly modular design/system.

I would assume the .50 would have heavier recoil, but wouldn't be willing to wager on it.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 09:26:39 PM »
C'mon.  We all know what .44 Magnum handgun people REALLY want to get...

:)

I'd sell one of my kids for one of those.  Maybe even 2.  :)
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX