< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun Control Poll  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
Gun Control Poll
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
Interesting poll that can be filtered a number of different ways.

Nebraska Only:
http://www.isidewith.com/poll/3507538/9333327

Full Results: 
http://www.isidewith.com/poll/3507538
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:51:17 PM by Dave1215 »

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Gun Control Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:06:02 PM »
Assault weapons?

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
Yeah..."Assault Weapons" is definately an education issue.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »
68570 voted just in Nebraska? I don't ever remember seeing any mention of this poll and I am online looking for this stuff... I don't know but it seems fishy to me.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:11:15 AM »
They aren't filtering by state, nor are they preventing multiple voting.  They really have no guaranteed way of verifying.  The pole is totally bogus, IMO.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
They aren't filtering by state, nor are they preventing multiple voting.  They really have no guaranteed way of verifying.  The pole is totally bogus, IMO.
I agree that the data is pretty bogus, but they are apparently filtering by state somehow since they break the data down by state, and selected city.  However, based on the listed cities, they are probably doing that filtering based on IP address since the cities mentioned are some of the main router points in the country. I started to take the poll to get a feel for what was going on and it really isn't a good poll at all. Too many opportunities for misunderstood responses and poor answers.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »
However, based on the listed cities, they are probably doing that filtering based on IP address

Doubtful.  Geolocation apps are notorious for their inaccuracy.  Using http://www.iplocation.net I noticed that my location is listed as Kansas City.  I went to the Nebraska page because that is where the link pointed me to.  In that regard I suggest that there is no geolocation active on that site.  It is depending entirely on the honesty of the browser user.   I even voted again with no problems.

One possible reason why they mis-identify my location is because my IPv4 address is not my  primary.  My IPv6 address is.  Many internet apps can't/don't work well with IPv6 yet.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:49:42 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
Good point.  I just checked mine and it did find me to be in Omaha instead of Dallas where I was frequently told I was located even though I was sitting in Omaha.

Either way, their data seems incredibly dubious.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »
I agree that the data is pretty bogus, but they are apparently filtering by state somehow since they break the data down by state, and selected city.  However, based on the listed cities, they are probably doing that filtering based on IP address since the cities mentioned are some of the main router points in the country. I started to take the poll to get a feel for what was going on and it really isn't a good poll at all. Too many opportunities for misunderstood responses and poor answers.

Read the FAQs..... http://www.isidewith.com/faqs/
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
Read the FAQs..... http://www.isidewith.com/faqs/

It says:
How do you prevent tampering and duplicate submissions in your results map and state-by-state results?
We don't publish how we prevent tampering, but we have sophisticated measures in place for finding and discarding tampered or duplicate submissions.

Uh huh.  Just ignore that man behind the curtain.  I'm using IPv6 through a tunnel in Germany and my user agent string is bogus.